The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1
roy reali

Mix or Match

I just finished a reloading session. As I was putting stuff away I noticed that I have supplies and equipment from just about every manufacturer out there. I have stuff that comes in green boxes, in red boxes, blue, just about every color in the rainbow.

Does anyone here keep to one or two companies when buying and using reloading supplies and tools? Or do you also have a hodgepodge of stuff?
Old January 31, 2009, 01:09 PM   #2
mkl

My reloading supplies look like the rainbow.

Heck, I've even got some cream colored boxes (Herter's).
Old January 31, 2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Sevens

I've got tools from Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman and MEC. But mostly Lee.

I've got powder from Hodgdon, Alliant, Hercules, IMR, Winchester, and Accurate. But mostly Alliant and Hodgdon.

I've got primers from CCI, Winchester and Federal, but mostly CCI.

I've got bullets from Speer, Nosler, Hornady, Sierra, Berry's, Ranier, Magtech, Remington and Winchester, but mostly cast lead from a local caster.

My brass is likely more Winchester than all others, but I think most every company has some representation.

I love any tool, equipment or component that works, but I prefer those that work well for a decent price. When it comes to components, I will use ANYONE'S bullet, but I have my preferences for powder. With primers, I like to stick with CCI and only for the reason that it's what I started with and what I have the most of, and I don't particularly want to change primers in a load that I know works well.

Of all the companies involved in this hobby, there's only a couple that aren't represented in my man cave. Nothing from Herter's, because I've only been doing this 20 years and it's just not out there. There is nothing from Dillon, because Dillon stuff is mostly manufacturer direct, so I never pick up any of it at a gun store or a show. I also have nothing from Redding, but that's only because it's a premium brand at a premium price and I tend to avoid anything with a premium price. (I would venture a guess that it's VERY good stuff, I'm just too cheap to bother with it... my standards are lower, and I don't have a problem admitting that)

If there is one company out there that I would say that I don't particularly care for, that company would be RCBS. And that's because I began reloading in the 80s when RCBS was guilty of some real douchebaggery in their advertising and attitude toward Lee and Lee products. (to be fair, Lee was also pretty snotty) And since I started reloading with mostly Lee products, I saw most of that squabble through red colored glasses. As I learned more about the tools from both companies, it occurred to me that Lee stuff wasn't as good across the board as a lot of stuff from other companies, but it sure wasn't as bad as RCBS would have you think. And though RCBS makes some very fine equipment, I also find some of their tools to be more expensive and inferior at the same time. With that said, there's a lot of RCBS stuff that I do like and would be happy to own, but I really, honestly don't think that most of it is the best value for the money.

This is probably much more of an answer than you were asking for, but I find the subject pretty interesting.
Old January 31, 2009, 06:42 PM   #4
BigJakeJ1s

I use a Forster press, Wilson and Lee trimmers, RCBS powder measure and hand primer, Hornady bullet puller, Cabellas tumbler and FA digital calipers and digital scale. Dies from Hornady, Forster, Lyman, Redding, RCBS and Lee.

There is no one company that has best of class products in every category. Get what you like and what works for you. Color schemes are for... well, they probably don't shoot or reload anyway.

Andy
Old January 31, 2009, 06:46 PM   #5
DiscoRacing

im thinkin to myself as i look at my bench(large and colorful as it is)... that just one color wouldnt be a bright and cheery...well.. i was actually thinking that I myself doubt that anyone could stick to just one color....
Old January 31, 2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

You have to embrace the world of mix and match to try all the possible combinations, any one of which may turn out to be your rifle's miracle load.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 31, 2009, 08:01 PM   #7
TheOldPro

This is more of a question than an answer, but I was wondering the same thing about different makes of brass within the same caliber. I have 4 or 5 different brands of brass for my .243, and am wondering if different brass affects the ballistics given the same bullet and powder loads?
Old January 31, 2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Sevens

Short answer: YES.
Longer answer: Not so much a concern for the sake of safety unless you are loading max and/or over max loads in one brass, then switch to a different brass. Different brands typically have different case volume, but not by a lot. Heck, different production lots of the same brass from the same company/headstamp can differ.

A suggestion I'd make is that you keep and use all five different headstamps that you have, but keep them separated by brand. So when you go to the range, you are using 20 pieces that are all Remington for example, or 15 pieces that are all Federal, but that you don't go to the range with 20 loaded rounds where 4 are Federal, 6 are Winchester, 11 from Rem, etc etc.

Consistency is the goal. The same powder charge/primer/bullet/COAL may give fine accuracy in the Win brass, and fine accuracy in the Federal brass, but it's up to you to make sure that they both hit the same place on paper.
Old January 31, 2009, 10:46 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

There are exceptions to brass interchangeability. Winchester's balloon head case design in the .308 has about three grains more case capacity than military brass. A load of 748 in a Winchester case that is at maximum SAAMI pressure with a given bullet weight will, loaded into an IMI case, be about 10,000 psi over the SAAMI maximum, give or take. That is still within proof load limits, but I would not want to batter my gun with that on a regular basis.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 1, 2009, 11:12 AM   #10
si vis pacem, para b

even my drawers are colorful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008 pictures 076.jpg (179.9 KB, 15 views)
Old February 1, 2009, 12:07 PM   #11
Mike40-11

Heck, I've got 3 different brands of .45 dies set up on my press right now. Dillon press, Hornandy sizing die, Dillon expander, Hornandy seating die, Lee crimp die.

Actually, I don't think I have any heads set up with all the same brand of die.

Yeah, I mix and match a little....