The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 26, 2019, 12:37 PM   #1
TxFlyFish

How has the CZ P10 fared?

It’s been a few years since it’s intro, how has the P10 fared? Has CZ iron out the teething issues? Do you see continued support for the platform?

Last edited by TxFlyFish; May 26, 2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old May 26, 2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Siggy-06

I’d say it keeps up with the other polymer offerings from Glock, S&W, and Walther. They released the full size and subcompact models of the P10 as well so it should see continued support for a while.
Old May 26, 2019, 04:46 PM   #3
Old 454

My son has the p10... loves it
Old May 26, 2019, 07:03 PM   #4
pturner67

Just bought a P10 F and picking it up in 6 days. I'll report back.
Old May 26, 2019, 07:13 PM   #5
sigarms228

Supposedly the P10C has resolved most if not all the early issues. If it was me and I wanted one I would get the new generation made in USA and they may cost a little bit more. IMO it is a good pistol poly striker fired pistol, though not my preference, in a crowded market of good striker fired pistols and priced under $400 even at me local gun store. As always one should try out what they are considering and then decide on what works best for them.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:07 AM   #6
5whiskey

Quote:
IMO it is a good pistol poly striker fired pistol, though not my preference, in a crowded market of good striker fired pistols and priced under $400 even at me local gun store.
^^^This

They tried to break into a market that Glock already pretty much had cornered and other competitors were plentiful, but from my perspective they've done well enough to hang around a while. Shortly after it's release, it was the most ordered firearm for several months in a row at one of my LGS's so they started carrying it. I guess the newness finally worn off, but it's still out there and selling. The problem is, as stated, it's a good poly striker pistol but those are a dime a dozen these days.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 27, 2019, 08:18 AM   #7
TxFlyFish

I see the prices are dropping drastically on cz, and yes even when they introduced them F and optics ready models, there’s no oem mounting plates or suppressor height sights to be found to the frustration of existing and potential owners (me included). Is the P10 still relevant? A G19 is very tough monster to slay indeed. CZ needs to supply all the parts it can get at product launches against Glock
Old May 27, 2019, 08:44 AM   #8
Jim Watson

Sunk without a trace, too many other glockoids on the market. Sure, they are selling some, but so is everybody else. The Cool Guys are currently excited over the Beretta glock.
Old May 27, 2019, 09:09 AM   #9
TxFlyFish

The APX? Is that getting popular?
Old May 27, 2019, 11:59 AM   #10
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFlyFish View Post
The APX? Is that getting popular?
Not around these parts. My LGS is huge and had a factory shoot in March and not much interest in the APX and they only keep a few in the display case. I tried it for the heck of it and it just did not work out well for me for some reason. Now the Beretta 92 Elite LTT was one heck of a good shooter for me.
Old May 27, 2019, 02:08 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

Not well.

Trigger isn't as nice as it was originally reported.

Try one next to a V9 or PPQ. If you are buying, I bet it won't be a P10
Old May 27, 2019, 02:15 PM   #12
TunnelRat

I like the P10. Having owned it and the VP9, PPQ, M&P, Glock, P320, etc. I shot it very well and like it quite a bit, moreso than most in that list. Prices have come down quite a bit as well. I'm not sure it will ever have the following of Glock or the M&P, but I don't see why it won't enjoy similar success to Walther or HK. I like that the factory is including optic cut versions for those that want that, I like that the factory has added fixes for issues as they've been found, and I like that they're trying to deliver a full product line (size options) in a decent time frame. As someone mentioned above, my own personal gripe was lack of factory parts from CZ direct. I understand the liability with that, but Glock spoiled me in that regard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 27, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old May 27, 2019, 07:15 PM   #13
TxFlyFish

I want it to succeed but it seems like it fizzled out real quick. It was squarely aimed at the G19, but just got buried. I don’t even think it enjoys the same spotlight that the other makes you mentioned. They’re one of the last ones to the optics ready market and had a chance to make a major splash to address all the shortcomings on the existing market. No P10C stock, barely P10S, and with F floating about with no oem plates or suppressor sights. It’s really poor execution

When you go against G19 market share the execution has to be perfect..the next in line are very very good platforms as well
Old May 27, 2019, 07:48 PM   #14
TunnelRat

Everything gets buried against the Glock, and frankly that's been true for a while. How much of a market share does HK or Walther have compared to the Glock when we talk US sales? Something, and enough for both to justify US operations as CZ recently did and Walther did a few years ago ago and HK has greatly expanded in recent years, but my guess Glock isn't worried about them. They may be worried about SIG from the sheer size of the US military contracts and the departments that will follow suit.

All I can do is report my experience. I like shooting it more than everything except the Glock. SIG hasn't been doing optics plates for that long on the P320, nor really have many of the others (Glock MOS came out relatively recently, though S&W had the CORE for some time to their credit). They may have been "late" but in my view not by much. Moreso I've said before and I'll say again that while I think optics plates are nice to have, I don't really think they sell pistols by themselves unless you're talking the real enthusiast. And Glock gets a lot more than the forum enthusiast, that's why their numbers are what they are. People just know the name. People that aren't firearms enthusiasts don't know who CZ is and let's be frank and say that when you think leaders on firearms the Czech Republic might not naively spring to mind (actual history being a bit different).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 27, 2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old May 28, 2019, 08:25 AM   #15
Fishbed77

Quote:
They tried to break into a market that Glock already pretty much had cornered and other competitors were plentiful, but from my perspective they've done well enough to hang around a while.
Quote:
Sunk without a trace, too many other glockoids on the market. Sure, they are selling some, but so is everybody else.
Not every manufacturer needs to sell boatloads of product to consider it a success. I recommend you take a look at Military Arms Channel's video tour of CZ's factory in the Czech Republic. It's a surprisingly small operation. Obviously, they have found enough success with the P10C to expand the line, and outside of that line, CZ has a bewilderingly large lineup of product in general.

I see this much like the Walther P99. While it never usurped the market dominance of Glock, it must have been successful, as Walther is still making them over 20 years later, and it has spawned a diverse range of variants, including the PPQ lineup.
Old May 28, 2019, 03:22 PM   #16
5whiskey

Quote:
Not every manufacturer needs to sell boatloads of product to consider it a success. I recommend you take a look at Military Arms Channel's video tour of CZ's factory in the Czech Republic. It's a surprisingly small operation.
^^^This. After all, Pietta apparently makes money selling C&B revolvers... some models that can be bought at $200 as a standard price. For an all metal firearm with wood grips fitted pretty well and a decent blued finish. I would bet Pietta would not continue making them if they didn't make money off them, plus I bet CZ's per unit profit margin on a P10 is higher, and to boot I bet they sell many more units than the base model Pietta C&B revolver.

Just because you don't have Glock-like sales doesn't mean you can't make a decent profit. And give the market a variety it otherwise wouldn't have.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 28, 2019, 05:18 PM   #17
AK103K

I had a P10C with factory threaded barrel and suppressor sights for about a month, and traded it off. I wasnt impressed.

I got it used. Looked brand new. The shop owner said he had originally sold it to a guy a few weeks before, and he had already traded it for something else. He said he didnt think the guy had even fired it. I tend to believe he was right too.

I watched a couple of videos on YouTube that said they had issues with a suppressor mounted, and were basically a single shot for at least a couple of hundred rounds. That was the exact experience I had too, and with the exact failures. After about 200 rounds, it was pretty much getting through a full mag without a problem, but they were still occurring on a regular basis.

The fact it was a single shot for those first 200 rounds also leads me to believe the shop owner was right about the first guy not shooting it.

The gun shot fine without the suppressor mounted.

First thing I thought when I looked close at the gun was it was a quasi Glock copy. Same basic takedown, trigger and slide set up. The grip isnt quite as hand filling, but it felt pretty good. I did like the texture finish they used.

Part of the problem with the suppressor I think, was because they didnt have enough bevel on the top of the barrel where it locks up into the slide (compared to Glock anyway), and the added weight of the suppressor was just enough leverage to bind things up until it wore in a bit.

I didnt really like the trigger either. It was mushy as hell and didnt break clean and positively, with that "snap" when the striker releases, like the Glocks do. I was actually half expecting light strikes, though I never had any.

It really wasnt a "bad" gun, just Meh. Nothing special.
Old June 10, 2019, 09:50 PM   #18
pturner67

Picked up my P10-F and had the opportunity to shoot it this past weekend. It's a great gun. I agree with what others said about the trigger not being very good. It fely spongy and maybe gritty. Interestingly, though, I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. Took a toothbrush with CLP lightly to the trigger area and the trigger was excellent. It may get better with use. I know the trigger on my CZ75 SP-01 Tactical (decocker) was pretty rough out of the box but over the past couple of years with use and cleaning has become as good as any trigger I have used on any other handgun.

Anyway...the P10-F shoots very accurately and I feel like I have better control compared to my Glock 17. One thing I wish it had are tritium night sights instead of the glow in the dark sights.

Of course, my buddy says it'll never match up to a Glock. I don't know. I think it all comes down to whatever flavor of kool-aid you like.
Old June 12, 2019, 08:33 AM   #19
Walt Sherrill

A lot of folks shooting suppressors find that their guns don't run right at first. The problem, apparently, is that the factory recoil spring assemblies are too stout when running the suppressor, as the suppressor affects how the slide recoils. Getting a lighter RSA, if that's possible, or leaving the slide locked back for a week or so typically solves the problem.

Note: Coil springs kept compressed at or near their elastic limits will slowly degrade. If the springs don't compress deeply, the degradation is much, much slower. Whether the spring is routinely deeply compressed is a quirk of a given gun design, etc. Some magazine springs and some recoil springs aren't pushed that far when running the gun in pure stock form. But all coil springs will take a minor set when first installed, and it may just be that using a suppressor slows that process.

If you try locking back the slide to speed up the process, the secret is to not do it for too long. The guys on the FN Forum have found that locking back the slide on their FNX guns for about a week (give or take a couple of days) makes a subtle but significant difference in whether the guns runs with a suppressor mounted.
  • That's probably because, with a suppressor mounted the spring isn't fully cycling at first, and it probably takes those extra 200 rounds to get just enough extra wear for the gun to function properly with the suppressor mounted.
Wolff Springs offers non-captured recoil springs and stand-alone guide rods for various Glocks, and I wonder if any of those assemblies can be adapted for use with the P10 series of guns? If so, you can just use a different spring when running a suppressor. I have several Glocks and FNS pistols, and a P10C. I know that the stand-alone Glock recoil springs and guide rods are almost identical to the FNS models of comparable sizes. (Glock uses the same guide rod assemblies for the Glock 17/22/37 and does the same for the the 19/23/38.
  • The standard FACTORY (captured) RSA of the P10c is just a bit longer than the Glock 19/23/38 RSA. The Glock replacement for the RSA probably wouldn't work in the P10c
  • The Glock 17/22/37 recoil spring assembly is a hair longer than the P10C recoil spring, but if you run a Wolff Guide Rod and Spring, that small difference would stick out the front of the slide and would not have any effect on function. That said, I just don't know whether the diameter of the Wolff guide rod will work in the P10c slide. (I wonder if other CZ guide rods are compatible?)
Since I don't run suppressors, and am not having recoil-spring problems, I'll probably NOT ever buy a Wolff guide rod to find out.
Old June 14, 2019, 05:25 AM   #20
armoredman

Well, something must be doing pretty well since CZ is building a brand new factory in Little Rock right now. The demand for P-10s in the F and S size are still pretty high - the S is the best shooting "subcompact" I have ever owned.

https://youtu.be/5Mbo5yhqpYE

Never carried a striker fired pistol until I tried a P-10C. Now I have three P-10s. Great triggers for me, but the only striker triggers I know are the issued Glocks I have qualified on for over 17 years, and some of these have been around a loooong time.
Old June 16, 2019, 06:55 AM   #21
OhioGuy

Anyone have experience with the subcompact P10? That's one that would have my interest. I have a P-07 and love it but it's big. I wish they made a subcompact version of that with a shorter grip!