The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2015, 05:23 AM   #1
NHSHOOTER

auto powder dispenser?

Hornady electronic powder dispenser is on sale, just wondering if any of you have any experience with that model or any others for that matter.
Old November 29, 2015, 05:59 AM   #2
wpsdlrg

I've had one for about a month. Like it very much. Unfortunately, I did not get mine on sale.....but, I don't mind.

It works very well. Almost foolproof. I checked the (attached) scale against other, known scales (a scientific balance that reads to 0.02 grain and a Dillon electronic balance)....and the Hornady is never off by more than 0.1 grain, which is the claimed precision. The dispenser portion, though it takes 25 - 30 seconds to complete a rifle charge of around 40-plus grains, does a good job. Quite accurate, as long as you run it on the right speed. (The machine has 3 speed settings - the larger the powder granule size, the slower the speed setting should be). Emptying the powder reservoir is easy and quick.

The "slow" speed of the machine is not really a handicap, as it is still much faster than you could weigh charges manually. Plus, I "multi-task". I seat bullets, in cases already charged, as the machine runs and I charge new cases. So, I can do a little over a hundred .308 loads in an hour. Not too bad.

Overall, as I said, I like the Hornady unit very much. I'd definitely recommend it, even at the $235 I paid. For less, on sale, absolutely YES.
Old November 29, 2015, 06:06 AM   #3
NHSHOOTER

Thanks wpsdlrg, I am just putting in my order @ Midway USA. will give my review in about a week. Merry Xmas to me...
Old November 29, 2015, 06:10 AM   #4
F. Guffey

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3ihgkdqf85_b

Become a prime member, I have the old style RCBS powder dispensers. I was told they were too slow but there was hope. I could speed them up or have it done. Of the small group of reloaders one sent his off to a place somewhere between Ft. Worth and Dallas for repairs and the need for speed. Anyhow, he runs two at a time. He is too busy for watching something run.

Then there is that part about electronica scales and beam scales. I have both. The most expensive to maintain is the electronica 'anything'.

F. Guffey
Old November 29, 2015, 07:51 AM   #5
wpsdlrg

The "slow" speed setting on the Hornady actually does not change the total time for dispensing a complete charge by much - a couple seconds at most.

The way the machine runs is that it starts slowly, then ramps up the speed, until it is fairly close to the finished charge weight. Then, it slows down - to trickle the last couple of grains. The speed setting only changes how long the machine runs at the "fast" speed....and thus, how close it gets to the final charge weight before slowing to a "trickle". If it runs too fast, for too long, then momentum can cause too much of some powders (esp. long stick powders) to tumble out of the tube - and thus the charge goes over the specified weight. If that happens, if the unit dispenses more than 0.1 grain over the specified weight, the unit stops and an "over" alarm sounds.

The slowness of the dispensing speed, to which I alluded in my last post, can be largely overcome by "multi-tasking". I run a few charges, then start seating bullets, as the machine continues to run. So, when I finish a tray of cartridges, they are complete (charges weighed, dumped, bullets seated and crimped). Done and done. The process isn't that slow if you multi-task.

As for "the expense" of maintaining electronica, as you put it, Mr. Guffey....there is NO "expense". Solid state electronics - either it works, or it doesn't. As for myself, I'll take the vagaries of "electronica" over weighing each charge on a beam scale, every time. Now THAT is a slow process, not to mention TEDIOUS.

By the same token, if I had a hole to dig, I would definitely choose one of those new-fangled shovels.....over trying to dig a hole with a rock. I'm just funny like that.

Last edited by wpsdlrg; November 29, 2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old November 29, 2015, 08:04 AM   #6
LE-28

You can also press and hold the mode button to make it start trickling .2 of a second quicker up to get it to trickle mode faster, it help with the denser powders.

The only powder I can't run through mine is AA9. It's just to fine and to dense.
I have the Auto-Charge with the Hornady bench scale sitting beside it. I bought the bench scale about 4 years ago and the Auto Charge to years ago.

You can beat it for $159.99. That's what I paid for mine. I see someone had the bench scale on sale for $59.99 as a black Friday sale also. I use Auto-Charge for all my hand loading these days, pistol and rifle.

I really like mine.
Old November 29, 2015, 12:29 PM   #7
F. Guffey

Quote:
As for "the expense" of maintaining electronica, as you put it, Mr. Guffey....there is NO "expense".
Quote:
The most expensive to maintain is the electronica 'anything'.
Anything electronic. Of the 5 that reload 2 of us have electronic scales/powder dispensers, 2 units have been sent back for repair. I have one scale that quit. The cost to repair is close to $80.00. The other reloader had 2 repaired, one of those was sent back to be repaired again.

My scale uses a 110 charger, by the time shipping was added the price was up above $40.00.

Anything electronic: Ovens, ranges and dish washers have gone to control panels and push pads. If something fails count on the control panel failing. The cost of the control panel is almost as much as replacing the appliance.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; December 2, 2015 at 11:22 AM. Reason: remove cast
Old December 5, 2015, 07:46 AM   #8
NHSHOOTER

Just got my Hornady dispenser in the mail yesterday and tried it out last night, after watching the video a couple times and reading the book I tried out a few different powders with very good results after just a bit of fine tuning and double checking with my beam and electronic scales. Then I got down to some actual loading using the "machine" Quite pleased so far even though I only loaded some 50 cartridges. Got over weighs twice so adjusted machine to slow a bit sooner, presto.
Overall, so far so good. More reports to follow.
Old December 5, 2015, 07:51 AM   #9
LE-28

I'm glad your having good luck with it, I have with mine. At the price point of the sale you won't find anything better for an auto-dispenser.