The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 25, 2017, 05:43 PM   #1
SAA GunSlinger

Lubricating round balls?

Hello, I'm new to the world of casting bullets. I had some old conical buffalo company conical bullets that I melted down and turned into .454 round ball. I followed the instructions. Took me a few trys to get the temperature right cause I had some that frosted and wrinkled but now I have a nice amount of shiny 44.cal balls but do I lube them? Ive watched youtube videos and read in books after there casted and nothing seems to follow. What next? Do I need to lube them? What are my next steps to get them ready for shooting? Gonna be shooting them through a pair of uberti walkers.

Last edited by SAA GunSlinger; November 25, 2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old November 25, 2017, 05:59 PM   #2
Model12Win

No I've never heard of that.

Either use a lubed felt wad betwixt powder n' ball, or smear lube atop powder and ball.
Old November 25, 2017, 10:27 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

+ 1 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 25, 2017, 11:09 PM   #4
Hawg

What they said and nothing wrong with frosted balls. Or wrinkly ones for that matter. They shoot just as good as smooth, shiny ones.
Old November 26, 2017, 04:30 PM   #5
Seamus Mc

In a rifle or muzzle loading pistol round ball shooters use a patch which is typically lubed. In a revolver you can add a lubed wad like a Wonder Wad or else add lube between the ball and an over powder card wad.

Seamus
Old November 27, 2017, 10:13 AM   #6
ButchB

I load the ball on top of powder then use a little butter knife to fill the balance of the chamber with lube. I can get about 20 shots before I need to clean and relube the base pin.
Old November 27, 2017, 10:58 AM   #7
Hellgate

A lot of people tumble them to eliminate the sprue. I rarely bother but I have bought powdered graphite and tumbled them which makes them black, slick and look "factory". Don't bother to lube the balls until loaded. After many thousands of rounds fired I have settled on lubing and then splitting the Circle Fly 1/2" fiber filler wads into two or three thinner wads put under the ball. It swabs the bore/chambers & I have so far, never had a chain fire.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old November 27, 2017, 01:52 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

No need to lube a round ball. That's what greased patches are for.
Old November 27, 2017, 02:09 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
I load the ball on top of powder then use a little butter knife to fill the balance of the chamber with lube.
You're using way too much lube. All you're doing is making a mess.
Old November 27, 2017, 03:06 PM   #10
maillemaker

Quote:
You're using way too much lube. All you're doing is making a mess.
Sadly, over-ball lube is required for N-SSA competition.

In period, conical bullets were often made into combustible cartridges. The bullets were dipped in lube, sometimes paraffin, as I have recently learned!

Round balls were probably not lubricated in any way.

For modern shooters, people either use a lubed wad under the bullet or smear lube over the bullet.

Steve
Old November 27, 2017, 03:13 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Sadly, over-ball lube is required for N-SSA competition.
I'm not saying don't use it but all you need is a little around the edge of the balls. Anything else just gets blown all over the gun.
Old November 28, 2017, 11:29 AM   #12
Hellgate

I sometimes use a curved tip irrigation syringe to apply a grease to the edges of the chamber like caulking with a small bead of automotive grease. It helps to cut the tip of the syringe back to get easier flow of the thick grease.
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old November 28, 2017, 02:41 PM   #13
maillemaker

>I'm not saying don't use it but all you need is a little around the edge of the balls. Anything else just gets blown all over the gun.

Yes I have started using a little paint brush to squeegee some grease all around the ball, but I no longer "fill 'er to the rim". I agree the blast from the first shot blows most of the grease away from the neighbors.

Steve
Old December 1, 2017, 06:41 AM   #14
iac

Lubing is,nt needed for loading, but a light coat of grease/wax prevents the ball from oxidizing in storage.
Also, make sure to load the ball with sprue facing up (the barrel) for best accuracy !
Old December 1, 2017, 11:35 AM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
make sure to load the ball with sprue facing up (the barrel) for best accuracy !
Most molds nowadays don't leave a spru, just a small flat spot where the sprue was cut. It doesn't make any difference where it's positioned.
Old December 1, 2017, 12:22 PM   #16
Hellgate

Hawg,
If the flat spot (sprue site) is on the chamber wall (especially if a slightly undersize ball such as a .451 dia.) you could get flash by and a chain fire w/o a wad under or grease over the ball. So, IMO flat sprue positioning is a problem only if it is on the side.
Old December 1, 2017, 09:16 PM   #17
Hawg

It would only be a problem with undersized balls. The correct size would shear the flat spot off.