The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2012, 06:26 PM   #1
tpcollins

How do you load small caliber flat base bullets?

All of my reloading has been with bullets that have some sort of chamfer on the base but today I loaded some samples I received of flat base .204 bullets. It was impossible to them seated into the case so I had to hold them in place while running them up into the bullet seater. I even used a 39gr Blitzking bullet to sort of swage the opening but still had trouble. Is there a trick to loading these - here's a pic of (3) that didn't make it today, thanks.

Old January 21, 2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Roughedge

I try to stay away from flat base bullets for 204 because of your problem. I got some free so I had to use them. I took a nail set and taped it just enough to put a slight bell on it so the bullet will set by its self.
Old January 21, 2012, 07:22 PM   #3
tpcollins

I'm thinking of trying some 3/16" ID silicone tubing and snip if to about 1/4" long, slide it over the case mouth, insert a bullet and seat it just enough to start the bullet. Then lower the case, remove the tubing, and finish seating the bullet. We'll see . . .
Old January 21, 2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Zildjian

Have you champhered the case mouth ? I would try that and a little lube on the case mouth for that flat base boolit. Might help you some and then seat it. Good
luck
Old January 21, 2012, 07:35 PM   #5
wingman

Never have a problem with my Lee Turret, I chamfer the brass inside hold bullet/brass slightly as it moves up the cycle (204 ruger) and seat gently.
Old January 21, 2012, 07:35 PM   #6
jepp2

The Forster Bench rest seater die has a sliding sleeve that will ride with the bullet and produce rounds with less bullet TIR.

You did chamfer the inside of the neck, right?

Last edited by jepp2; January 21, 2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: added detail
Old January 21, 2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Mobuck

I don't see nearly enough chamfer on the inside of the case mouth in the cases pictured.
Old January 21, 2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Zildjian

Its hard to tell with these old eyes, but I don't see any chamfer in the case mouth at all. Wonder if he doesn't have the main die body set too low. Might need to back off a few rds. and lower the seating stem and start all over from that point.
Old January 21, 2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have any trouble beyond pinching a finger a little while holding the bullet as it goes up into the die. I do chamfer all the cases. I load flat-base v-max 32gr v-max.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:12 PM   #10
tpcollins

I dug out my RCBS chamfer tool and took the edge off the inside of a couple cases and the bullet did sit on the mouth much better. I do lube the mouth but I was under the impression that I was suppose to "deburr" the inside and outside but I might need to gnaw a little more off on the inside.

I read a tip - maybe here - where I pack some steel wool inside a small cap, put it in a lathe (or drill), hold the case mouth up against it to really smooth the lip. I'll try taking a little more off the inside the next time. Thanks.

(I still like my silicone tubing idea though).
Old January 21, 2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think you'll need the lube if you chamfer the edge a little. I use brand-new Norma brass and once fired Hornady brass with no troubles.
Old January 21, 2012, 10:32 PM   #12
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

TPCollins, these guys have you straightened out. A little more chamfering will take you a long way. I learned the steel wool tricks years ago while perusing Varmint Al's reloading page. There is some good reading there.

Not to sound like a jerk, but your picture did put a smile on my face. Glad you came here and got it figured out and glad you persisted through it! Kudos to you!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 22, 2012, 12:35 AM   #13
mrawesome22

A VLD chamfer tool will solve your problem.

A die with a sliding sleave is so much better, I can't understand why companies even make seaters without them.

VLD and a Hornady seatet and you're golden.
Old January 22, 2012, 02:23 AM   #14
Mike38

The round on the right looks similar to what happened to me about a year ago trying flat based bullets. Try a bit more chamfer on the inside of the case mouth. Also, when pressing the bullet, follow this. Raise the bullet into the seating die normally with the press, just until it “kisses” the die. Then withdraw (lower the ram) to check for squareness. If the bullet looks square, turn the case in the shell holder 90 degrees and press it in about .050. Stop and check it again. If still square, turn 90 degrees, press in another .050 or so. Work up a system where the case gets turned like this at least 4 times before it’s seated to the desired over all length. It worked for me.
Old January 22, 2012, 02:34 AM   #15
Jim Watson

Does Lyman make a .204 M die?
I LIKE the M die.
Old January 22, 2012, 07:32 AM   #16
flashhole

You can expand the inside of the case neck just a bit. When loading flat base bullets for my Fireball I use the die for my 7mm Rem Mag to expand it. The tapered expander ball on the decapping rod is a good size for doing it. Lee also makes a dedicated expander die that will work. It adds a step to the process because you have to use a taper crimp die to remove the expanded lip but the bullets always seat properly.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old January 22, 2012, 08:46 AM   #17
tpcollins

IllinoisCoyoteHunter - Varmint Al's may have been where I saw it - I slobered all over that site when I first got back into reloading. Since I've been able to get away with just "smoothing" the lip without an inside chamfer in the past, it never became an issue until I loaded my first set of flat base bullets. And I use all Lee Collet dies - never been a fan of RCBS, especially their bullet seater for .204.

Thankfully I have enough room in my reloading box for a new VLD tool, thanks.