The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 29, 2020, 02:53 PM   #26
rickyrick

If you get a good item from PSA, you won’t have any customer service complaints.

If you get a bad item or an employee at PSA rips off your bank card, you will have a customer service nightmare.
I have first hand experience with fraudulent bank charges from an employee at PSA. It was about 5 years ago but it stung.
It seemed from Internet posts at the time that the activity had gone on for some years before it was corrected.
Appeared to be happening to customers who had purchased parts and the orders were of small dollar amounts. I was of the opinion that a customer who places small orders would be less likely to check to see if the card was charged as compared to a person who purchased a rifle or other high dollar orders.

Still like the products that I do have from them, I just use a burner credit card when I buy from PSA now.
Old August 29, 2020, 03:54 PM   #27
dgludwig

Quote:
My first trip overseas was on The Queen Elizabeth--my first airline flight on a Lockheed Constellation--beat that!
Alrighty, I was rescued from the Titanic (you'd be surprised how feisty women and children can be when they're trying to get on your boat when there's no room left) and I showed Wilbur and Orville how parachutes were used.
I've got to go now-Corn Pop, the town bully, is trying to steal my record player. He really raises the hair on my legs!

Last edited by dgludwig; August 30, 2020 at 12:21 AM.
Old August 29, 2020, 06:46 PM   #28
stagpanther

Quote:
He really raises the hair on my legs!
I concede defeat.
Old August 29, 2020, 06:50 PM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
If you get a bad item or an employee at PSA rips off your bank card, you will have a customer service nightmare.
I have first hand experience with fraudulent bank charges from an employee at PSA. It was about 5 years ago but it stung.
It happened to me too--they explained to me it was a "bad apple" they had hired to handle sales. They fixed it pretty quick--but getting through to the right person can be difficult--I think their retail operation has a firewall between it and the administrative CS part.
Old August 29, 2020, 08:31 PM   #30
ed308

Many people don't know it actually served in WW2. For a large transport it was very fast.

Beautiful plane. They were faster than a Zero. Max speed was 375 mph. Impressive for a long range transport.
Old August 30, 2020, 01:23 AM   #31
keithdog

dyl I'm talking about PSA's AK103 clone, or in this case "Klone" because they were feeling cute about the naming
Old September 6, 2020, 03:39 AM   #32
IZZY

Quote:
dyl I'm talking about PSA's AK103 clone, or in this case "Klone" because they were feeling cute about the naming
I would shy away from any US made AK, the only one I would trust to make a properly heat treated stamped receiver is Nodakspud...PSA had to recall its first batch a few years ago due to function issues.

It takes a lot of engenering to make a proper AKM, it took the USSR a few years to get it right. PSA is OK at putting together modular AR variants from parts. Even then, some folks like to take the PSA AR's apart to make sure the barrel nut is properly torqued ( not under or over torqued), and some feel it's slightly over gassed to fire cheap ( weak non nato spec) ammo, thus the adjustable gas block as a "fix".

IMHO If you want USA made stick with AR's.
Old September 6, 2020, 09:03 AM   #33
luger fan

My experience with Seecamp!100%
Old September 7, 2020, 03:06 PM   #34
keithdog

izzy it seems the firearms industry in general is a crapshoot. My wasr 10 was great in most respects but the finish was trash and the sights were canted. Usable, but more noticeable than one would like. I've heard many an arsenal rifle to have jacked sights as well, and I've read far too many forum based reviews from people buying 1500-2000 dollar American made AR-15s that never to work right no matter what one does to them. And then there are those people who snag an M and P for like 500 and the thing runs like a champ till the barrel burns out even with the lowest rent combloc target load.
But yeah, I think you're right. I would've been all in on another combloc rifle if they were ever in stock anyway. But even when they are the warranty just isn't there. I know PSA might like to dawdle but at least at some point they'll take care of it. Century, from what I understand, is even less forgiving. So I'll roll the dice on this American AK knowing that at least the parts are forged rather than cast, and it is pretty dang cool that it comes with an FN barrel. Not at all necessary- just cool.
And isn't that half the battle?
Old September 7, 2020, 03:10 PM   #35
keithdog

Oh yeah, also to you IZZY, I 100 percent agree. AR is probably the way to go. But unfortunately I don't have any 223 or 556 and there's no way in hell I'm paying contemporary prices for blocks of a thousand. I do have 7.62 though. So for now I'm an Ak guy whether I want to be or not. I just can't justify an AR15 given my circumstances.
Old September 9, 2020, 02:23 PM   #36
IZZY

Quote:
izzy it seems the firearms industry in general is a crapshoot.
agreed until you take it to the range you dont even know it will work, some factories ( CZ Walther and others ) at least run some test firing/ functions checks, and that helps, but does not eliminate issues. Still nice to have a test target with any firearm...

My WASR ( had a few) experiences is that they are not as accurate on a whole as the SAR series, the barrel heats up quick the G ( Gaurda Civil) series kits were nice while they lasted with a mil spec barrel...

I quite understand you situation...I am not a Ruger fanboy but a Mini 30 in stainless is sounding at least as good as a WASR, assuming either are available at reasonable prices.
Old September 10, 2020, 09:16 AM   #37
keithdog

izzy good news! the psa shoots! I only ran 70 rounds so take that with a grain of salt, but it's something
Old September 18, 2020, 10:14 PM   #38
hounddog409

you are a young man, so this might seem odd.

Pick up the freakin phone and call them.

In the support world, phones call ar urgent. Emails are not. Email is low priority.
Old September 18, 2020, 10:57 PM   #39
Ignition Override

Have other viewers here also watched several videos of AKM testing, done by Rob Ski, on Youtube's (Maybe still allowed on You-) AKOU Channel?

Even the imported WASR 10 (late, or post-2008) was proven much more durable in his gradual, 5,000-rds. tests than some of the domestic Century creations.
Imported AKs as a group demonstrate better designs, in the long-term, than some domestic varieties which use very low-grade commercial steel in the receiver, bolt lugs, bolt track etc.

Imported AKMs always seem to have cold hammer-forged barrels (chf) and other high quality steel components.
Old September 19, 2020, 01:46 AM   #40
zoo

The barrels on the Century creations aren’t the problem, they are actually pretty good barrels. The other parts not so much.
Old September 19, 2020, 04:11 AM   #41
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Oh yeah, also to you IZZY, I 100 percent agree. AR is probably the way to go. But unfortunately I don't have any 223 or 556 and there's no way in hell I'm paying contemporary prices for blocks of a thousand. I do have 7.62 though. So for now I'm an Ak guy whether I want to be or not. I just can't justify an AR15 given my circumstances.
I have an AR Stoner upper in 7.62x39 on an Anderson lower with a S&W parts kit using a nickel boron trigger that’s an excellent shooter. It’s consistently shooting 1 3/4” groups at 100yds off bags on a bench so would make a nice intermediate range deer slayer. Without a scope I’m into it for about $420.00, of course that was five years ago.
Old September 19, 2020, 08:08 AM   #42
stagpanther

I have both a PSAK and a PSA AR47 upper and I guess my luck has been good in this case, both have run flawlessly-- and very accurately for the cartridge I might add--for years. My PSAK does have the billet trunion and bolt. Biggest difference for me between the two is the AK weighs more and is a bit awkward when it comes to mounting optics. I've put a whole lot of ammo and reloads through both. If I HAD to choose between one or the other I'd probably go with the AR47 (which as I recall I bought the complete upper on sale for around $150)