The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 1, 2020, 10:27 PM   #1
idek

complete tool kit for AR build?

I am considering assembling my first AR. When looking at the list of recommended tools for the task, I am lacking most of them. Does anyone know if tool kits are available that come with all the basics I'd need as opposed to buying them individually?

Also, my first AR may be my last, so I don't want/need a super deluxe kit that costs more than gun. On that note, maybe I'd better better off just buying a fully built rifle and save the money on the tools?

Last edited by idek; September 1, 2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old September 2, 2020, 01:05 AM   #2
50 shooter

I've never seen a complete kit of tools for building an AR, the wrench with multiple types of tools on it is recommended.

A good assortment of punches, small, medium and a couple large ones is recommended. Ones that fit into the pin holes on the receiver are a must. That way you can hold, punch and remove pins correctly.

If you plan on building the upper, you'll need a torque wrench, well two would be better. One in "inch" pounds and the other in "foot" pounds.

A proper set of gunsmith screw drivers is also recommended, they fit standard and Phillips correctly. Nowadays you have torx, pos., recessed... to drive you mad also!

If you plan on building multiple AR's, having the correct tools is nice. If you only plan on one, take it to a gunsmith and let him build it for you. You could spend a couple hundred or more on the tools. Harbor Freight is the last place I would buy garb... er uh quality tools from!
No time for rearranging.
Old September 2, 2020, 07:34 AM   #3
ghbucky

Quote:
maybe I'd better better off just buying a fully built rifle and save the money on the tools?
Don't lose sight of the fact that the only part that is considered a 'gun' and requires a transfer is the lower. You can buy a cheap rifle and swap out every part you like over any time frame you like.

I caught a doorbuster sale at a grand opening and picked up an Anderson AR for $450. I've been upgrading it over the past couple of months.
Old September 2, 2020, 07:44 AM   #4
rickyrick

Vise
Vise block, preferably something that reacts against the barrel extension
Barrel nut wrench or appropriate spanner. (Most AR wrenches will work on buffer tube too)
Assorted small Pliers
Assorted punches
Hammer
Tape to protect surfaces from blemish
Large plastic bag to catch flying detents and springs
A spare set of detents and springs8
Old September 2, 2020, 08:34 AM   #5
7.62 man

This is what tools I use to put together an AR lower.

A wood block cut to 1.875" x 2.375" x 7" (not shown)
(1) straight screwdriver or
(2) 3/16" Allen Wrench
(3) 7/23" Allen Wrench
(4) Needle Nose Pliers
(5) Channel Lock slip joint pliers
(6) Armorers Wrench to fit the Castle nut
AR lower build kit
& of course a lower. (not shown)

Old September 2, 2020, 08:20 PM   #6
jonnyc

There's a Birchwood-Casey tool set just for building ARs that contains the very-helpful roll-pin punches.
Old September 4, 2020, 06:29 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

For a first time build a lower with a good quality trigger, you really only need a wrench for the castle nut and a few basic hand tools. Castle nut wrenches are cheap, ten bucks or so. Then from my good experience just order an upper from Palmetto State Armory. I have three uppers from them and for me they’ve been pretty darn good. I had one issue with my AR10 in 6.5 CM with machining marks in the chamber messing up my brass. I sent it back and they polished it which fixed the they took care of shipping both ways and I had it back in less than two weeks.
Old September 4, 2020, 08:05 PM   #8
bedlamite

It also depends on how you are going to build it. There are a lot of FF handguards that use a barrel nut that you install with an adjustable wrench, or crows foot if you use a torque wrench, and won't use the AR barrel nut wrench. Some even come with their own.

Get the parts you want, then get the tools you need.
Old September 4, 2020, 11:02 PM   #9
ed308

And don't forget the torque wrench and grease.