The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
grumpa72

Lee Classic Cast Turret auto index clamp question

My Lee CCT has never really worked well in the indexing mode so I ordered a new auto index clamp and two new square ratchets. To those of you with the Lee CCT, can you provide some answers?

The auto index clamp is "wrapped" around the top of the ram, (obviously with the round projection up). Nowhere in the Lee instructions does it say how to replace the square ratchet (SR). Inside the Auto Index Clamp is a recessed square indentation that "appears" as if it should hold the square ratchet. However, the SR is free to move up and down inside the auto index clamp. Is this normal? If so, what is the purpose of the square shelf or indentation? Secondly, the SR has a small thin lip that is next to the rod itself. Does this thing lip go up or down? Final question, the old SR is fairly loose when it is on the square index rod whereas the new SR is tighter than a drum and takes a fair amount of pressure to make it move up and down the rod. Of course, the looseness of the old SR may be the reason that the auto-index feature doesn't work that well. However, is the SR supposed to very tight on the rod?

Any and all help on this auto-index feature is appreciated. The Lee website is absolutely useless on this as are their instructions.

Thank you again.
Old November 26, 2009, 08:10 PM   #2
atomictaco

Tore mine apart and the lip of the square ratchet is facing upward. On mine there is a lip at the inside top of the indexing clamp that seems to match the lip on the ratchet. It should work either way, but this is how mine is set up.

The ratchet does ride up and down inside the clamp, this is normal. With use the ratchet should loosen up some, if the old ratchet was excessively loose that could cause indexing issues as it would not fully engage the twisted section of the index rod.
Old November 26, 2009, 08:18 PM   #3
under_dawg

I haven't had to replace mine yet. I researched a lot about the LCT before buying it a couple of years ago, and found that the ratchet gets stripped prematurely if you try to remove the turret without raising the the ram past the twists in the indexing rod. I remembered to do that and never had any problems (3500-4000 rounds). You may have received a press where the square ratchet was not properly installed at the factory. Sorry I couldn't be more help...
Old November 26, 2009, 08:45 PM   #4
grumpa72

Ok, thank you both, especially you atomictaco for taking yours apart. I know that I have never partially raised the ram past the spiral part prior to removing the turret. Maybe that is why I got about 1000 rounds before the square ratchet became useless.

I am assuming that both of you liberally lubed your square index rod? I will install my new clamp and ratchets tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old November 26, 2009, 08:51 PM   #5
atomictaco

I dont raise the ram when removing the rod, never really thought about it. Maybe it's something I should have been doing and need to start.

I don't liberally lube the index rod. I apply a very light coat of oil and wipe off just to prevent corrosion. I lube it the same as I do my dies and ram. Too much lubrication can attract dust and dirt and cause you problems in the future.

Glad I was able to help, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions and I will try to help.
Old November 26, 2009, 08:58 PM   #6
under_dawg

Check out this link over at The High Road. It's talking about the same thing.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=487742
Old November 26, 2009, 09:21 PM   #7
atomictaco

Thanks Dawg, looks like I had mine installed wrong. Good information!
Old November 27, 2009, 09:42 AM   #8
under_dawg

I found this post over at loadmaster. It also has some information on the subject.

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/f...5eabbc95d5f46a
Old November 27, 2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Citywaterman

Auto index ratchet

Under_Dawg gave two excellent links that describe this subject completely. A few months back I stripped the ratchet and could not figure out what I did. I lifted the turret out to change calibers with the ram down. After researching I figured out the problem. I also found out that Lee provides two new spare ratchets with a new turret press. If you bought yours new, they may still be in the box if you still have it. Also from the loadmastervideo link (benedict1) explained, never try to rotate the turret by hand unless the ram is raised well over half-way up. In that position or higher the index rod can turn freely and the ratchet is automatically disengaged from the detents. This is good advice. Citywaterman
Old November 29, 2009, 02:21 PM   #10
TJG0781

ratchet

I went through both of my ratchets really quick. I couldnt get the turret to index the way I thought it should. I ended up just taking the ratchet out, and now I just turn the turret by hand. It goes aginst my mechanical sensibilities, but saves much aggravation.
Cheers!
Old November 29, 2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Don P

Hum, there how to video's I thought were good as to explaining the ins and outs of the equipment.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 29, 2009, 08:33 PM   #12
grumpa72

Yes, there are lots of videos on the web and on the Lee website. But, no where that I could find, did it give the orientation of the square ratchet on the shaft. Flange up or down? I really like the Lee Classic Cast Turret but I have to say that their instructions overall are sub-par. In my searching, I find that I am not alone in this opinion.

Btw, thanks to all who helped. The new square ratchet is in and is functioning well. I promise that I will partially raise the ram to clear the spirals in the shaft when changing my turrets. I also promise to make complete strokes of the ram. I admit that I was negligent on both of these issues before.