The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2009, 01:30 PM   #1
cthoreen

brass preference?

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have just started shooting a .40 XDM and I was given a bunch of brass from a friend. This is once fired brass from a police training session. Most of it is "Speer" with "Federal NT" in second place and then something labeled "P-A RH". Lastly there is a small amount of brass with the label "ACP" and then ".40 S&W" on it. Does the NT on the federal mean anything? Who makes the "P-A RH"? The ACP case is a little strange in that it is difficult to resize. Several of them actually were so tight in the die that they came out with a ridge at the bottom of the case that wasn't there before. I'm not sure if I should even keep these. Any advice? Is the Speer or the federal better than the other for reloading? They both resized fairly easily with a carbide die. Thanks.
Old November 27, 2009, 01:54 PM   #2
dsv424

NT means non-toxic. If you wish to know more about case head stamps visit this Web site. It should show almost any one you wish to know about. Hope this helps.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm
Old November 27, 2009, 02:02 PM   #3
QBall45

I would not be concerned about the ones marked NT. This just indicates that they were loaded as Non Toxic or range safe. To the handloader this means nothing. The 40 uses small pistol primers. The cause forconcern with NT is in the 45ACP. Which uses large pistol primers normally. The 45acp NT end up needing small pistol primers. No big deal, just need to have another box of primers on the shelf.

I like working with Federal, Speer, Winchester, CCI Blaser, Seller & Bellot, PMC. These headstamps seem to work well for me. (I load 45ACP). I truely have no preferance among the above list.

There is a head stamp list somewhere here. I'll look.
Old November 27, 2009, 02:13 PM   #4
cthoreen

thanks for the info. I looked for ACP and it came up with something from the phillipines. Also I saw on another forum that the federal nt is a crimped primer pocket? Not sure about the p-a rh. The list I saw shows a rh as being some brass made in the UK but it shows nothing for a p-a?
Old November 27, 2009, 02:16 PM   #5
QBall45

Here's link
http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm
Old November 27, 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Hmmm. There seems to be a link echo in here.

At any rate, here's a link to an explanation.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 27, 2009, 04:01 PM   #7
DWARREN123

For 40 S&W I really like R-P brass then Winchester, I have experience less problems with these than others.
I have reloaded for Glocks, CZ, SA, S&W and Sigs.
Old November 27, 2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Sevens

Quote:
I would not be concerned about the ones marked NT. This just indicates that they were loaded as Non Toxic or range safe. To the handloader this means nothing.
It's been my experience that every piece of 9mm brass that I've found with NT head stamps on it have much larger than normal flash holes.

Yep, different caliber, not .40. And no, I don't know if it makes a large difference. But it's enough that I cull all NT from all of my brass regardless of caliber or chambering.
Old November 27, 2009, 07:32 PM   #9
jepp2

My experience also says that Federal NT brass has a much larger flash hole. I also find that it is much harder to deprime, and I swage the primer pockets first time through my process. The primer pockets look crimped to me.
Old November 27, 2009, 09:51 PM   #10
tom234

Federal NT brass definitely has crimped primers. I toss them; they're not worth the hassle with so much other brass available.
Old November 28, 2009, 04:32 PM   #11
qcpunk

Ok, i'll touch on a topic here that nobody else has touched on yet. You expressed some concern over a bulge and ridge at the base of the shell after resizing. There are many .40s out there with "sub-par" chamber support. If you find a lot of brass with a distinct bulge near the head (typically only on one side of casing), you may want to invest in a full length, push through type sizing die.

I must note to pay attention to the head of the casings when dealing with .40, it is a high pressure load with SAAMI/ANSI max at 35,000 psi. You want to pay particular attention to inspect every casing, and ensure there are no cracks forming or thinning of the casing wall. So pay attention and have fun
Cheers
Old November 29, 2009, 11:49 AM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

. . . And, Redding has a special die to fix that. It works like a Lee bullet sizing die, except it's for .40 cases. You run them all the way through to iron the pregnancy out of it. I think it's called the G-Rx, which probably stands for Glock Prescription. Don't know?

Sevens, Jepp2, and Tom234,

Follow the link I put in post #6 for an explanation of those large flash holes and crimps.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; November 29, 2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old November 29, 2009, 01:00 PM   #13
rbernie

Quote:
I looked for ACP and it came up with something from the phillipines
ACP = Armscor