The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 21, 2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Smooth Pate Pete

Question about 44 cal Percussion Revolver

I am new to this forum but have been shooting cap & ball for quite some time. My question is about the projectile. I have only shot .451 lead ball in my Colt and remington 44's.
1. Has anyone shot a .451 conical in them?
2. Can you shoot a conical bullet in a cap & ball pistol?
3. If so, does shooting a conical change the load at all?
4. Is a .451 conical available?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited by Smooth Pate Pete; November 21, 2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Wanted to add another question.
Old November 21, 2008, 10:09 AM   #2
grymster2007

They can shoot conicals.

They might limit just how much powder you can stuff in the hole, but I think it still works out OK.

Raider2000 sells some .450 conicals that would probably do the trick. He's a stand-up guy and a pleasure to do business with.

Here:

Conicals
Old November 21, 2008, 10:55 AM   #3
simonkenton

During the Civil War the troopers were issued paper wrapped cartridges for their cap and ball pistols. These contained the powder and a conical slug.
But, experienced troopers found that the round ball was a better man-killer than the conical slug, and when possible they loaded their pistols with the round balls.

Are you getting good performance with that .451 round ball? Does it shave a little lead "donut" when you load the ball?
Old November 21, 2008, 04:15 PM   #4
fastforty

I crossed paths with an elderly gentleman at the range a few years back (we were the only two people there). He was shooting a Ruger .44 BP & I was shooting my Remmie .44. We shared great company & conversation. He gave me a handful of the conicals that he was shooting to try in my Remmie but there wasn't enough clearance to get them under the ram rod.

When he got ready to leave, he came over to my bench and gave me nearly a pound of black powder & a couple tins of caps. I thanked him profusely for the gift and company, but as he walked away I was saddened that he knew it would be his last trip to the range. On the other hand, I felt blessed to have made company with him on that day.
Old November 23, 2008, 01:12 PM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
He gave me a handful of the conicals that he was shooting to try in my Remmie but there wasn't enough clearance to get them under the ram rod.
That's my experience also. Some revolvers do not of the clearance for a conical bullet.