The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 21, 2022, 06:43 PM   #1
Anibal

Ruger .22 LR Mark I and Standard differences?

Hi everyone, I hope somebody can help me with some doubts:

Are there differences between the model "standard" and "Mark I" in Ruger semiautomatic pistols .22 LR?, Are theres two different models? or is it the same model with two different names?.

Thanks in advande,

Anibal (Hannibal)
Old June 21, 2022, 09:27 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

The primary differences are the barrel and sights.

The Ruger Standard Model came with either a 4 3/4" or a 6" barrel and had fixed sights.

The Ruger Mark I Target came with either a 6 7/8" (tapered) barrel or a 5 1/2" bull barrel and the gun has adjustable sights.

(this information from the 1974 Gun Digest)

hope this helps...
Old June 22, 2022, 07:16 AM   #3
Siggy-06

44AMP is correct, the Mark 1 is just the target variant of the Standard. It came out a year or so after the Standard's introduction.

Introduced in 1950, the MK I Target model was basically the same as the Standard pistol, except that it boasted a 6.875-inch barrel, adjustable target style trigger, a "Micro" adjustable rear sight, and a front sight blade undercut to reduce glare. In 1952, a 5.25-inch barreled version of the MK I Target was added to the lineup, but manufactured only through 1957, making it a collectible rarity today. A 5.5-inch heavy bull barreled version of the MK I Target became available in 1963, eventually becoming the most popular length for Ruger Target MK pistols. Like their Standard model brethren, target models underwent the A 100 grip frame redesign in 1971.

The Standard itself was in production from 1949 to 1982.
Old June 22, 2022, 12:52 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I bought my Mark I in 83. The one with the longer tapered barrel. (never personally liked the bull barrel ones). IF mine has an adjustable trigger, its hidden so well I've never found it in the nearly 40 years I've owned it.
Old June 22, 2022, 06:28 PM   #5
Anibal

Thanks both for the answers. So the Mark I could o couldn´t have adjustables sights, and the real difference with the standard model was the barrel lenghts, wasn´t it?. I said it because the last message of 44 AMP.
Or did only the pre-1983 Mark I have adjustables sights?

I just have seen the Ruger current page, and they list a modelo standard, I suppose it is the "standard" counterpart of the modern Mark IV, as the first standard model was the most humble counterpart of the Mark I of that time. Am I right?
Old June 22, 2022, 08:15 PM   #6
laytonj1

“Standard” models do not have fixed sights. Mark 1 has adjustable sights. Starting with Mark II they were stamped Mark (series) whether they had fixed or adjustable sights. That said, folks still refer to current fixed sight models as “standard”

Jim

Edit: Argh!! I meant standard models do not have adjustable sights….

Last edited by laytonj1; June 23, 2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old June 22, 2022, 11:01 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Realizing its not "straight from Ruger's mouth" the 1974 Gun Digest describes the Standard Model as having fixed sights.