The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 18, 2022, 03:39 PM   #1
Logs

Rack Grade M1 Garand Ordered

Let the countdown begin...

Sent off M1 Garand Paperwork on May 9th and today got the email saying they have received it. Now we will see in a few months what shows up.

We have received and verified your recent mail in order form. This email is to confirm paperwork received, not that the order has been processed. You will receive other emails as your order progresses. We greatly appreciate your patience as the processing time has been longer than usual.

THANK YOU CMP

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/

ITEM # DESCRIPTION PRICE
RM1RACK CMP has a very limited amount of M1 Garand, SA or HRA Rack Grade Rifles available. These rifles will be offered mail order, sold as is, with no exchanges. The rifles are rack grade (rough but functional and have been test fired).

Available
$650
Free S/H

6-8 WEEK DELIVERY

PHOTOS in a few months.....
Old May 18, 2022, 05:42 PM   #2
BornFighting88

You are really going to enjoy this rifle. There are replacement parts to be had, people still know how to service them.

I have one, it was a mil-surp franken-rifle from my grandfather. Was built on a Winchester-made receiver, Springfield aftermarket barrel, original everything else aside from a few pins and springs that I put in to replace the old. I even sent the op rod out for the radii cuts in the stressed corner.

It is beyond fun to shoot. Whatever you rest that front sight on, and squeeze trigger usually disappears. That PING from an empty clip flying out is very satisfying. Second only to popping a fresh clip in and getting your hand out of the way fast enough to avoid the bolt and getting "M1 Thumb". Top Gear Top Tip of the Day.... M1 Thumb S U C K S !!!
Old May 19, 2022, 07:42 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornFighting88 View Post
You are really going to enjoy this rifle. There are replacement parts to be had, people still know how to service them.

I have one, it was a mil-surp franken-rifle from my grandfather. Was built on a Winchester-made receiver, Springfield aftermarket barrel, original everything else aside from a few pins and springs that I put in to replace the old. I even sent the op rod out for the radii cuts in the stressed corner.

It is beyond fun to shoot. Whatever you rest that front sight on, and squeeze trigger usually disappears. That PING from an empty clip flying out is very satisfying. Second only to popping a fresh clip in and getting your hand out of the way fast enough to avoid the bolt and getting "M1 Thumb". Top Gear Top Tip of the Day.... M1 Thumb S U C K S !!!
We learned in BASIC training (August, 1962), to put the knife edge of your hand on the operating rod when you pushed the eight-round clip into the action. When it was pushed all the way home, the operating handle would release against your hand and one could whip the hand forward, away from the action and make a "circle" around behind the operating handle to give it a routine (but usually un-needed) "forward assist".
Old May 20, 2022, 09:14 AM   #4
BornFighting88

I have such meat hooks for hands that I would just push it down with my thumb, and when the bolt flew forward, it would swing my thumb up out of the way. I never needed forward assist. Whenever the clip clicked down into place, that mass of metal started flying forward, and there aren't many things on this planet that are made to stop it.

Gosh is that thing fun to shoot, I wish you many many range trips of good times with it!
Old May 20, 2022, 11:49 AM   #5
bamaranger

Ammo

If you are not familiar with feeding your M1, do some research prior the arrival of your rifle to understand ammo for it. The '06 cartridge as loaded today to sporting specs can deliver higher pressure to the operating system than GI ammo and can accelerate wear on critical parts if shot a lot. Avoid heavy bullet weights, ....period, stay in the 150-168 range. Prior the ammo draught, it was possible to find modern '06 ammo loaded specifically for the Garand. (Hornady)? CMP may still sell surplus ammo intended for the Garand, if one intends to shoot their M1 frequently. Reloading for the Garand is another option but beyond the scope of this thread.

All this may be already known to you, pardon any presumptions I have made. The M1 is a piece of history and I am quite fond of them. I wish mine could talk! .......PING!
Old May 20, 2022, 08:41 PM   #6
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Avoid heavy bullet weights, ....period, stay in the 150-168 range.
Military match ammo for Garands used bullets up to 190 grains. Both handloads and factory/arsenal ammo. No problems when the op rod was correctly fit.
Rebulleting arsenal 174 grain FMJBT match bullets with 168 to 180 grain Sierra HPMKs was common.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 20, 2022 at 09:00 PM.
Old May 21, 2022, 01:20 PM   #7
Logs

Won't be reloading I started picking up ammo when I came across it years ago.

Hopefully this lasts a little while.

Also at the last Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot I picked up a bunch of small parts just to have on hand. Guy was clearing out his parts bins so I bought most of what he had just to have it. Still like to pick up some nickel enbloc clips just because they look cool.

Last edited by Logs; May 21, 2022 at 01:26 PM.
Old May 22, 2022, 07:40 PM   #8
BornFighting88

There are cases of Greek and Australian mil-surp (possibly GI) 30-06 on GunBroker all the time. Pretty reasonable, too. If you ever waltz around enough gun shows, you can pick up en-bloc clips pretty cheap. Once picked up a case of 100 clips for $50.
Old May 26, 2022, 08:05 PM   #9
bamaranger

clarification-heavy bullets

I was not aware of GI heavy bullet match ammo for the M1, thanks Stag and I stand corrected. The key is military/GI pressure. No sporting heavy bullets.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:26 PM   #10
akinswi

PPU makes ammo specific to M1 it used to be about 14.99 a box of 20. They also sell it in 500 rd lots that come in a 50 cal ammo can. If you find it buy it. The brass is great if you decide to reload. It actually uses a projectile similar to M2 ball.

Its not match grade tho. As Bart B pointed out you can use heavier bullets The Cmp did get with creedmoor and Lapua they made ammo out of 167 scenars and Lapua Brass. That Creedmoor loaded themselves . Its gorgeous looking ammo.

You can still find Lake City National Match 173 grain Ammo aswell it’s expensive and more of a collectors item I have only seen 1967 and 1968 lots. Which I think are good years Bart can correct if im wrong.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:18 PM   #11
kenny53

I field stripped and lubed mine just this evening. You will love it.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:45 AM   #12
Road_Clam

Theres no finer loving bliss is life than when you open your first long awaited M1 CMP case !
Old May 27, 2022, 08:23 PM   #13
akinswi

If you can buy two M1s do it have one to collect and one too shoot. I recently received my 2nd M1 RMS Expert with the new criterion barrel. I also have my 1953 H&R with its original barrel and stock.

Cant have enough M1s!
Old May 29, 2022, 02:10 PM   #14
robin banks

why is everyone talking about factory ammo when supposedly 90% of shooters reload? if medium burning powder is used and bullets from 150-190 grains there will be no problems
Old May 29, 2022, 04:45 PM   #15
GeauxTide

Quote:
If you are not familiar with feeding your M1, do some research prior the arrival of your rifle to understand ammo for it. The '06 cartridge as loaded today to sporting specs can deliver higher pressure to the operating system than GI ammo and can accelerate wear on critical parts if shot a lot. Avoid heavy bullet weights, ....period, stay in the 150-168 range. Prior the ammo draught, it was possible to find modern '06 ammo loaded specifically for the Garand.
This is why I went with a NEW M1A.
Old May 29, 2022, 06:09 PM   #16
akinswi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
This is why I went with a NEW M1A.
Issues with M1As they are extremely overpriced. They are fantastic weapons but a loaded M1A is 1800.00 and your better getting the loaded over the Standard .
Old May 31, 2022, 06:44 AM   #17
JustJake

M1As are built on cast receivers.

USGI M1 receivers are forged.

As the Garand Pros often say, “cast don’t last.”
Old May 31, 2022, 05:19 PM   #18
darkgael

Rack grade

I bought a rack grade Garand at the CMP store at Camp Perry, Ohio some years ago. As expected, it is great fun to shoot. I load my own ammo for it using 147 grain bullets at 2700 fps and IMR 4895.
Old June 4, 2022, 12:55 PM   #19
Red Devil

Something about an M1 Rifle...

Red
Old June 4, 2022, 03:17 PM   #20
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
If you are not familiar with feeding your M1, do some research prior the arrival of your rifle to understand ammo for it. The '06 cartridge as loaded today to sporting specs can deliver higher pressure to the operating system than GI ammo and can accelerate wear on critical parts if shot a lot.
Show me some pressure examples.

I hope you aren't confusing PSI and CUP pressure systems.

Last edited by Bart B.; June 4, 2022 at 03:23 PM.
Old June 13, 2022, 07:45 PM   #21
Logs

Just got email that my Garand is being shipped. If it arrives this week it will only be a month long process. Not bad. Figured they would be backed up more. Will post photos when it arrives. I hear they are rougher than normal.
Old June 14, 2022, 12:23 PM   #22
Logs

ARRIVED. They didn't list the TE or ME, but looks good for $650.

Old June 14, 2022, 02:51 PM   #23
chadio

Oh my - what an exciting day.... getting your very own M1 Garand!!!

Us armchair shooters want to hear about it and your first range visit!!!!!
Old June 16, 2022, 07:16 PM   #24
JustJake

Looks nice, congrats!
Old June 17, 2022, 06:03 PM   #25
2wheelwander

Congrats!