The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 16, 2022, 06:11 PM   #1
Savagehawg

Looking to add a new rifle

Will be adding a new rifle to my collection this year, already decided on a Browning Xbolt Speed Ovix, I am thinking 280 Ackley Improved for a couple of reasons, #1 ballistically its real close to the 7mm Mag, #2 Can fire form 280 Rem brass if needed, and not real recoil heavy #3 I will be getting my Dads 7mm Mag in a few years so no point in getting another lol

Since this is a new caliber for me i was just wondering if any of you have had some 280 AI experience, everything i read on it, says its an awesome caliber and accuracy is good.

thanks
Old May 17, 2022, 01:19 AM   #2
stagpanther

Excellent choice, you won't regret it. Don't skimp on the barrel, the better the barrel--the better you'll shoot at distance.
Old May 17, 2022, 07:08 AM   #3
BornFighting88

Brownings are nice rifles. Have only fired a sampling of them once. Was impressed. Nice trigger, smooth bolt throw, handled recoil well. Checked all the boxes. I am just too loyal to Yankee manufacturing and certain other features that I couldn't get myself buy one.

I second Stag, as the better the barrel, the better the downrange results.

Range report to follow, we assume?
Old May 17, 2022, 09:08 AM   #4
GeauxTide

I had a 280Rem that I gave to my son several years ago. It had a 26" barrel, and I could duplicate the Improved loads (at Chronograph) with IMR 4831 and RL19.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:24 PM   #5
Savagehawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornFighting88 View Post
Brownings are nice rifles. Have only fired a sampling of them once. Was impressed. Nice trigger, smooth bolt throw, handled recoil well. Checked all the boxes. I am just too loyal to Yankee manufacturing and certain other features that I couldn't get myself buy one.

I second Stag, as the better the barrel, the better the downrange results.

Range report to follow, we assume?
I was always hesitant to buy a Browning mainly because of price and that what everyone else was buying but i pulled the trigger and bought a Xbolt hunter in 270 WSM and with my hand loads it groups at .333 inches at a hounded, The browning are very accurate and the craftsmanship is really good, the Xbolt speed has a fluted cerakoted barrel with a factory break and i believe its a 24" and it weighs 6 lb 13 oz
Old May 17, 2022, 06:56 PM   #6
BornFighting88

A hunting friend of mine swears by them. Has one in 30-06 and 300 WSM. Short mag for stand in morning, and the ought six for stalking in the afternoon.

I use my Winchester 70 Classic in 300 WSM for both, and have had sweet luck!

Miroku still the maker of the Brownings?? Or have they teamed up with Howa, as well??
Old May 17, 2022, 07:13 PM   #7
taylorce1

I have no interest in the .280 AI, but that doesn't make it not a good cartridge choice. I just prefer to stick with the .270 Win, it has been very good to me.
Old May 18, 2022, 05:34 AM   #8
old roper

I have one mostly use it for bull elk tag. I've pretty much stayed with bullets above 160gr.
NRA Life Member
Old May 18, 2022, 07:15 AM   #9
jmr40

The 270, 280, 280AI, 30-06, and 7mm RM all do the same thing. Any animal one will kill, they will all kill. There might be a few inches difference in trajectory at ranges farther than most of us need to be shooting but inside of 400 yards there isn't enough difference to matter.

I'll also add that the short action equivalents such as 6.5CM, 7-08, and 308 don't give up much. And the bigger 7mm and 30 caliber magnums don't gain you much.

That said I've always thought at least on paper the 280 had a lot going for it. And I can't think of any real negatives to going with the AI version, you do pick up a little speed. In the real world it probably isn't enough to matter, but it is there.

The 280 is just enough different that you can feel like you're hunting with something a little different and unique, without any real negatives. Just don't start believing it is anything magical and far superior to any other more common cartridge.

Winston Churchill
Old May 19, 2022, 05:23 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
The 280 is just enough different that you can feel like you're hunting with something a little different and unique, without any real negatives. Just don't start believing it is anything magical and far superior to any other more common cartridge.
True--but it's sorta like .308 win, unremarkable yet remarkably versatile. The 280 case to me is a classic "sweet spot" of design that just works well and isn't going to bash you.
Old May 19, 2022, 05:27 AM   #11
stagpanther

The main problem I have with browning guns is that they are so pretty I'm hesitant to actually use them.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:11 AM   #12
BornFighting88

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
The main problem I have with browning guns is that they are so pretty I'm hesitant to actually use them.
I felt/feel the same way about my Winchester 70. Just gorgeous with the walnut and blued steel... But it is a machine, and must be used for its purpose. Plus, it will outlast me.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:01 AM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
I felt/feel the same way about my Winchester 70. Just gorgeous with the walnut and blued steel... But it is a machine, and must be used for its purpose. Plus, it will outlast me.
Haven't met the firearm yet that can outlast me.
Old May 22, 2022, 07:33 PM   #14
BornFighting88

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Haven't met the firearm yet that can outlast me.
I guarantee that all of mine will be passed on to my daughter and, God willing, my future (someday) son.
Old June 5, 2022, 08:46 PM   #15
stagpanther

I can break just about anything.