The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 24, 2022, 06:57 AM   #1
Classic12

Dan Wesson 15-2 VH

Many years ago a friend had a complete DW set, with 4 barrels, suitcase and accessories and sold it without even mentioning it (some friend he..).

A year ago I saw this DW set at the LGS. No case or accessories, not even the wrench. However a very good customer had reserved it (still hasn’t paid it as of today, so I might still get it in the end).

Now a guy I was discussing with about other weapons (Makarov and AKs) offered this gun for $ 545. I bought it, thinking I could flip it if / when I find a complete set.

I believe it was made in 1992. It came with the combat grip and a second 8” barrel, which has some corrosion flecks.

Same LGS did the transfer for free, offered to fix the 8” barrel and gifted a standard grip he had laying around. Pretty nice guy I’d say, I bought a lot from him, but still, not many LGS will be that gracious.

It shoots a bit high for me even with the rear sight bottomed out, but produced this very good group at 25 m offhand

Old January 24, 2022, 08:09 AM   #2
Smoke & Recoil

@ Classic12...I want to suggest that you apply a little RED loctite to that little nob which stops the cylinder from going rearward while extracting the brass.
That nob fell out of my 15-2 at one time while at the the range...luckily I found it.
Old January 24, 2022, 09:19 AM   #3
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke & Recoil View Post
@ Classic12...I want to suggest that you apply a little RED loctite to that little nob which stops the cylinder from going rearward while extracting the brass.
That nob fell out of my 15-2 at one time while at the the range...luckily I found it.

Thanks for the tip

I recently lost that knob on my 4” Colt Diamondback. No idea when and where.

Old January 24, 2022, 09:57 AM   #4
Radny97

Dan Wesson are my favorite brand of revolver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 25, 2022, 05:29 AM   #5
jetinteriorguy

$545.00, you definitely scored on that deal. Congrats.
Old January 25, 2022, 05:51 PM   #6
ATCDoktor

This Dan Wesson was my first center fire handgun:

Purchased with money I made cutting yards my, Dad filled out the 4473 In September of 1975 (I was 12 years old).

In 1979 I sent it to an “authorized” Dan Wesson service center for reblue and new stocks (aggressive cleaning and repeated holstering and upholstering had taken its toll on the finish ).

At that point it had 45000 rounds through it (99% of those were my hand loaded 148 grain wad cutters at a cost of $2.50 per hundred).

I don’t shoot it much anymore and have had several opportunities to sell it but it being my first centerfire I can’t part with it.

It is still the most accurate revolver I own.

At 25 yards (with 12 year old eyes) off sandbags it would easily group six rounds of my target loads into a group that you could cover with a paper 22 LR box.
Old January 25, 2022, 08:00 PM   #7
SIGSHR

He might have sold it for a lot more than he thought he should charge you. I treasure mine, also have the M-12, both superb shooters.
Old January 25, 2022, 08:01 PM   #8
THEWELSHM

Congratulations I have the same Monson gun.

Thewelshm
Old January 26, 2022, 08:38 AM   #9
jar

Likewise, a DW Monson fan. It has never embarrassed me even over on the short rifle lanes and has danced many a 2liter across the berm.
Old January 27, 2022, 03:46 AM   #10
hemiram

I've owned at least one 15-2/715 since 1977. A 15-2 was my second gun ever. The worst problem I had with them is a couple of broken springs. The rest of the issues were caused by previous owners doing dumb things to them like clipping mainsprings to lessen trigger pull, or loctiting the barrel nut.
Old January 29, 2022, 09:32 PM   #11
Schlitz 45

Here’s recent photo of my kit after I reshaped/refinished the wood grip to better fit my hand.
Old June 14, 2023, 02:36 PM   #12
scpaul

I have the 357 heavy lugg vent rib 4 barrel set with the patch , grip, sights and feeler gauges in the black Samsonite case with the rippled foam interior. It is getting sticky. Does anyone know of a reasonable source for a replacement? I really don't want to use the pre cut foam where you pull out the pieces. Custom made is extremely expensive. Any suggestions?
Old June 14, 2023, 04:56 PM   #13
mk70ss

The DW Pistol Pack was always something I wanted. Just never found a nice set that was reasonably priced.
Old June 17, 2023, 11:13 AM   #14
CajunBass

I've owned three Dan Wesson 22 revolvers, but traded/sold them all three off. Nothing wrong with them, I just saw other things I wanted at the time.

Then a few months ago I picked up my first Dan Wesson centerfire, a 15-2 with a 4", half shroud barrel. It's a pretty fair rival to my Colt Pythons.

It only had the one barrel, which is fine with me. I've got a "thing" for a revolver with a 4" (ish) barrel, so even if I had others, I'd never change them. I did get a barrel wrench, feeler gauge, and Allen wrenches for it just to have them.

It really likes 38 Wadcutters.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 11, 2023, 12:28 PM   #15
VictorLouis

OP, you STOLE that beauty! Enjoy it.
Old August 12, 2023, 09:03 PM   #16
Rockhanger

My favorite revolvers
They are starting to get hard to find
Old August 13, 2023, 09:53 AM   #17
Ricklin

I hear you on the foam. It is surprisingly easy to work with, given you have the right tools.
A hot wire makes quick work of cutting foam. An excellent tool for long straight cuts is an electric kitchen knife from the thrift store.
Old August 14, 2023, 08:10 AM   #18
scpaul

I would like to find the OEM foam. This set is 100% original. Om the original foam it's not just cut through, it's only partially through so the pistol and the combat grip don't touch the outside case and get scuff marks. 1 company quoted me a price a few years back and wanted hundreds to reproduce it. Mine didn't come velvet covered but that's what I'm thinking unless I can come up with something better.
Old August 15, 2023, 05:00 AM   #19
jetinteriorguy

One method for making a foam form is to use two layers. A thick layer for the actual form, then glue a thinner layer under it to protect your gun from rubbing on the case. As a for instance 1 1/2” thick foam for the form, then glue a 1/2” piece underneath it. You can use any good contact adhesive to glue it. I use spray adhesive, I spray a thick layer on the cutout side being careful not to get overspray in the cutout sections, then press it into the thin base layer. Then pull them apart for a minute and press them back together again.
Old August 18, 2023, 12:32 PM   #20
mpmax

I’m always worried about rust, so I went stainless.