The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 7, 2019, 11:51 AM   #1
stonewall50

AR Iron Sights

Due to luck on my end I am getting an AR for free. Not an expensive model. It won’t have any accessories. But I’ve decided on a general idea of set up. I don’t want (or need) a scope. I’m not a fan of optics and I’d like to get some irons. But I need some help on these. I want something that is simple and easy.

I like the idea of the HK Diopters. Especially the whole rotate to adjust ranging. But I’ve heard they have issues being mounted on an AR. Would that be a bad idea (I’m used to basic old school iron sights on older model deer and squirrel guns)? Got any good recommendations? I know everyone seems to have the pop up sights, but these will be my primary and that isn’t a requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2019, 12:48 PM   #2
Dave P

The basic hooded sights found on military versions are good for at least 600 yards. 1/2 moa adjustments, I think.
Old January 7, 2019, 01:10 PM   #3
stonewall50

AR Iron Sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
The basic hooded sights found on military versions are good for at least 600 yards. 1/2 moa adjustments, I think.

And these can be added after market? Additionally...mostly a 5-100 yard gun. I don’t do much shooting past that. Are they pretty good for close in work as far as irons go?

Wasn’t going to get an AR and has settled on getting a new barrel for my shotgun.

Old January 7, 2019, 02:33 PM   #4
kymasabe

Marine friend of mine shoots exceptionally well with the A2 front sight on his carbine, and a yankee hill machine folding rear sight. He regularly shoots 300+ yards with that gun. I personally have Daniel Defense fixed front and rear sights on my AR and am very happy with them.
Old January 7, 2019, 03:23 PM   #5
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
Marine friend of mine shoots exceptionally well with the A2 front sight on his carbine, and a yankee hill machine folding rear sight. He regularly shoots 300+ yards with that gun. I personally have Daniel Defense fixed front and rear sights on my AR and am very happy with them.

Thanks. I will give them a look.

Old January 7, 2019, 07:33 PM   #6
Charlie98

I really like the Daniel Defense 1.5 rear... it's essentially a fixed A1 sight for a rail. I don't do optics on my AR's, they all have peeps on them.

If you need a flipper, I really like my Troy...

That's not really a good picture of it, but I'll tell you it's about as robust a flipper as you can get. I didn't really need a flip rear, but I got it in case I ever put an optic of some sort on it... it's nice to have the option, and it's nice that they fold down out of the way for transport.

The Troy front...

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 7, 2019, 07:34 PM   #7
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_98 View Post
I really like the Daniel Defense 1.5 rear... it's essentially a fixed A1 sight for a rail. I don't do optics on my AR's, they all have peeps on them.
That's exactly the one I use as well, with matching front sight.
Old January 7, 2019, 08:00 PM   #8
jonnyc

I have Magpul or Matech rears on all mine, and all but one have A2 fronts. My 300BLK has a Magpul front. Inexpensive options, and all you'll ever need.
Old January 9, 2019, 05:35 AM   #9
lordmorgul

AR Iron Sights

Aero Precision makes an HK style semi-hooded pop up front site. You can buy a removable carry handle rear and have a combo of 0-600 adjustable sights with front hood.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
Old January 9, 2019, 08:02 AM   #10
Mobuck

Most of the problems with "iron sights" (none are really iron) on an AR is getting the shooter's eye close enough to the rear aperture for effective use. When you see military target shooters, you'll note they nearly kiss the CH in order to get their aiming eye closer to the sight.
Anything less compromises the advantage of the aperture sight.
Old January 9, 2019, 10:13 AM   #11
Charlie98

Quote:
Most of the problems with "iron sights" (none are really iron) on an AR is getting the shooter's eye close enough to the rear aperture for effective use. When you see military target shooters, you'll note they nearly kiss the CH in order to get their aiming eye closer to the sight.
When I was in Army basic training, I was taught to put my nose on the charging handle... and have done so since. When I'm at the range and look around... I see soooooo many people shooting peeps incorrectly.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 9, 2019, 12:36 PM   #12
stonewall50

AR Iron Sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been browsing and learning still. I’ve heard good ideas. I just know that I need to learn the basics there first.

Old January 9, 2019, 12:39 PM   #13
kraigwy

The best irons I've seen on a Service Rifle AR were those put on by White Oak. My White Oak SR sights have 1/2 MOA clicks and is marked for 200, 300 and 600. Using the 600 yard setting and coming down 4 revolutions of my front sight gives my zero for 1000 yards.

Works great and are positive. White Oak gives you the option of 1/2 or 1/4 minute clicks. I went to the 1/2 because thats what I have on my M1A.

But now to be competitive you need glass on a service rifle, Havent gone that route yet on my SR AR.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 9, 2019, 12:51 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
When I was in Army basic training, I was taught to put my nose on the charging handle... and have done so since. When I'm at the range and look around... I see soooooo many people shooting peeps incorrectly.
Using peeps incorrectly? I think its only incorrect if you miss!

An Army DI tried to teach me the same "nose on the charging handle thing. Tried. Sure, you can do it that way, and it works, on a .223, but I don't do it that way, and I still hit what I aim at. A DI also began to chew me out for shooting with my right arm elbow "up" not tucked down by my side.
He barked at me, "who taught you to shoot that way, TRAINEE??!!!"
"my Father, Drill Sargent!"

At that point, a senior DI came by with my target, 3 shots under an inch. Told the first DI, "let that one shoot the way he wants...its a good group..."
Not being all that bright, at the time, I was horrified enough to tell the DI, that it wasn't a good group, the holes weren't touching...

That got a chuckle from the senior DI, and they both moved on to the next trainee...

As to sights on the AR you are getting, are you getting one with the original "fixed" carry handle upper, or one with a rail??
Old January 9, 2019, 07:20 PM   #15
doofus47

You said "HK diopter".... and SHAZAMM!
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part....aspx?psize=96

I have one on one of my ARs. I like it, but I don't remember it costing that much. The fine print on the packaging that came with mine said it was set to 62gr Mil-spec ammo. I shoot 55gr Wolf gold mostly and I'm about as accurate/inaccurate with that rear sight as any other sight system on any of my ARs....
Old January 9, 2019, 11:19 PM   #16
ttarp

There are also these, knockoff Hk416 sights. I use them on a 9mm AUG, and my oddball Wolf A1 upper(only the rear).

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/4...TER-223p87.htm

The issue with these is the Hk416 has a higher top rail than a standard AR, so the Hk sights sit lower than intended on a standard AR. I don't think the rear sight would have enough adjustment to be used with an A2 front sight. Thats not to say they aren't still usable as a set, but most folks either want optics, or cheap backup sights, not $100 fixed irons.
Old January 10, 2019, 04:34 AM   #17
armoredman

44 AMP, great story.
Old January 14, 2019, 11:07 AM   #18
Dreamsinger

I'm pretty obsessive about iron sights. For the rear I use a UTG match sight. If you have an A2 FSB that'll work just fine. The caveat I'll offer is that if you have a floating handguard *don't* mount a front sight on it. There's a reason they float and it's to keep the front and rear sight coordinated. Instead, I've used "same height" (this part is critical) gas blocks. I like a lot of sight radius so I've been known to use a barrel mounted Pic rail (again, "same height" is critical) closer to the muzzle. UTG for fixed. What I'm using now on my 300HAM'R AR is a Battle Arms Development clamp on from Brownells. It works but getting it clocked as accurately as I'd like is an effort. Back to the rear; while I prefer to use the irons I do have a few scopes that find their way on the gun. For those times I put on a Magpul pro LR folding sight on JIC.
Old January 14, 2019, 12:06 PM   #19
Dreamsinger

I'm pretty obsessive about iron sights. For the rear I use a UTG match sight. If you have an A2 FSB that'll work just fine. The caveat I'll offer is that if you have a floating handguard *don't* mount a front sight on it. There's a reason they float and it's to keep the front and rear sight coordinated. Instead, I've used "same height" (this part is critical) gas blocks. I like a lot of sight radius so I've been known to use a barrel mounted Pic rail (again, "same height" is critical) closer to the muzzle. UTG for fixed. What I'm using now on my 300HAM'R AR is a Battle Arms Development clamp on from Brownells. It works but getting it clocked as accurately as I'd like is an effort. Back to the rear; while I prefer to use the irons I do have a few scopes that find their way on the gun. For those times I put on a Magpul pro LR folding sight on JIC.
Old January 18, 2019, 09:39 PM   #20
gooseman80

If you know your always just going to run irons, I personally would add a carry handle type of sight setup to your flat top. If you think that one day you might like to run glass, I would get flip-up iron sights. I have Midwest Industries on my LWRC.
Old January 19, 2019, 05:49 AM   #21
Metal god

I have a little tiny aperture on my nation match AR and I mean tiny . My front post is super narrow as well . This allows me to aim smaller at distance because everything I'm looking at it small . If your front post completely covers your target , it's pretty hard to aim at the target . Same with the rear sight . The larger the hole the more slop there is to find center . So I don't want my face/eye close to the rear sight because the closer I get to the rear sight the bigger the hole looks . Now this is for distance shooting at smallish targets . If inside of 200yds then I just flip/rock forward the aperture to the large hole and I'm gtg .

I know the OP doesn't want an optic but based on what he's been saying . I'm not sure the OP understands how great a red dot works at 100yds and in and you can use the back up sights right through the red dot if it fails . That is if the glass is not broke blocking you from seeing through it .

I have a Troy fixed rear battle sight https://troyind.com/products/fixed-rear-sight-blk on my carbine and have loved that sight . I rarely shoot that AR anymore but it's still zeroed every time I've shot it . I'm not sure I've ever needed to adjust it after the initial sighting in .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; January 19, 2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old January 21, 2019, 10:53 AM   #22
Skans

I purchased a nice set flip-up YHM (Yankee Hill Machine) sights off of someone on Ebay. I paid about $55 for the pair. If you look, you will find decent deals on good iron sights.