The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 12, 2019, 04:34 PM   #1
old fart

muzzle sticking out 1/4"??

i just bought a couple holsters for my ruger security 9, the owb is polymer and made for it and the iwb is for a glock 19 but the ruger fits snug like it was made for it. my only problem with both is the muzzle comes out about 1/4" or less on both holsters, i've looked online and have found some holsters let the gun barrel stick out but it does bother me some. i even went to a local shop and all the holsters made for my gun let the muzzle out very slightly. do any of you wear holsters that let the muzzle stick out slightly? i may just be making a mountain out of a mole hill, thanks for any help.
Old January 13, 2019, 07:46 AM   #2
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
do any of you wear holsters that let the muzzle stick out slightly? i may just be making a mountain out of a mole hill, thanks for any help.
What I use as do my sons..Glock 42/43/19. Always with a tshirt on first, then handgun against that. I shoot it enough, then clean it, so it doesn't get munged/linted up..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61325f1TK4L._SX466_.jpg (15.2 KB, 29 views)

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 13, 2019, 08:02 AM   #3
CDW4ME

I get holsters made for smaller pistol, heat end with hairdryer, shove (unloaded) longer pistol into it, result is minimalist holster with muzzle sticking out.
I carry 3:00 IWB with a generous forward cant, holster at muzzle not desirable.
The 2nd option XDs 45 pocket gun, regular holster.
Primary 1911 carried IWB, minimalist holster, muzzle sticking out.
I think the particular holster pictured was originally for a Glock 30SF, but if I used a Colt officers holster and carried a full size 1911 in it, same result.
Old January 14, 2019, 02:42 AM   #4
Ibmikey

As long as it does not affect your ability to draw the weapon 1/4 inch of protrusion should not cause individual meltdown. Purchase your holsters after trying the weapon in them allowing you to be satisfied with the look you need. I would have some concern if the barrel protruded beyond the sight possibly causing interference but anything less than that I could accept.
Old January 14, 2019, 01:51 PM   #5
gwpercle

Yes , It just doesn't bother me.
Watch the movie " Shane " , tell me Alan Ladd' s holster and gun belt aren't cool.
Shane didn't let a little barrel protrusion bother him one bit ! He was fast .
Then practice , when you can hit little rocks like Shane you will be ready !
Old January 14, 2019, 03:27 PM   #6
Sharkbite

The disadvantage of the muzzle sticking out will only become apparent if tou take a high round count course with that holster. Muzzles get a little warm after shooting a bunch.

Now tuck that pistol IWB with the muzzle against you (not inside the holster) and....
Old January 15, 2019, 08:20 AM   #7
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
The disadvantage of the muzzle sticking out will only become apparent if tou take a high round count course with that holster. Muzzles get a little warm after shooting a bunch.

Now tuck that pistol IWB with the muzzle against you (not inside the holster) and....
YES..when I shoot, I always IWB my Glock 42 and backpack my Glock 17..shoot about 250 or so thru each and yes, putting the G42 back in IWB..it is warm...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 15, 2019, 07:32 PM   #8
rodfac

Depends on your carry circumstances: I/We live on a farm and do chores while carrying daily. Any muzzle protrusion allows the the barrel to pick up whatever is on the various seats of our vehicles: tractor, 4-wheeler, motorcycle, two 4x4 POV's, and a half dozen horses. Nothing will fracture your day like a barrel stopped off with a 1/4" of horse $---.

Also the lube that's on the barrels of my auto's gets all over the clothes I'm wearing...or Carhartts...and mixes with the horse $--- that's already there. You get the idea. But I'll say that years ago, I carried a Commander in a Yaqui Slide holster that was a dream to draw from, horse $--- notwithstanding.

Lastly, with a holster that's shorter than the barrel/slide etc., you'd better have a front sight that's got enough slope to its rear face to allow an unobstructed draw movement. That same objection applies to railed semi-autos...the rail hangs on the holsters that I like: leather. The rail seems to do better with Kydex however.

And BTW, I carry OWB exclusively, I can't imagine carrying IWB with an exposed barrel/slide.

YMMV, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 15, 2019, 10:51 PM   #9
rock185

Old Fart, I prefer a holster that covers the entire length of the slide or barrel myself, with a closed end if possible. I carried a gun in uniform for quite a few years. It did get banged up, scratched up, etc. It would only have been worse with one of the shortened holsters. Of course, holster makers apparently prefer them because most holsters now days seem to be shorter than the slide. No doubt easier and cheaper to build than full length and/or closed end holsters, and more "one size fits all" since barrel/slide length isn't critical to holster fit. And most buyers, either do not notice or don't care...