The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 6, 2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

One handgun a month law in Virginia

Senate just passed the repeal 21 - 19.

House passed it a last week, or the week before.

It now goes to a governor who has stated that he will sign it.

I can't remember, but there MAY be multiple versions of the repeal in the house that will have to be sorted out.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 6, 2012, 02:00 PM   #2
dreamweaver

the mrs has a 1 handgun a month rule here.....
Old February 6, 2012, 02:03 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

That's great! I'll admit I hadn't followed the repeal very closely, since the monthly limit doesn't apply to CHL holders. Still, the law didn't serve much purpose, so it'll be nice to see it gone.
Old February 6, 2012, 04:35 PM   #4
USAFNoDak

Have the opponents been running around making dire predictions of carnage, violence, shoot outs at the OK corral, etc., once the law is repealed? If not, that might be an indication that they are getting tired of losing that argument in the public square. It doesn't mean they'll give up, but they might be a little battle weary.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old February 6, 2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It doesn't mean they'll give up, but they might be a little battle weary.
Part of the Attorney General's testimony last week focused on the idea of enacting stricter laws against "trafficking" of guns. "Bulk trafficking" has always been the Brady Campaign's justification for "one gun a month" laws, so they might use that for rhetorical ammo.

[Cue Barber's Adagio for Strings]

"The United States Attorney General and many members of Congress agree: it's time for tougher laws on gun trafficking. Thanks to reckless new legislation passed by gun-lobby cronies in Virginia, weapons just like those used to kill [insert tragedy of the week] will flow through our streets like Crisco on a Slip-n-Slide."
Old February 6, 2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Have the opponents been running around making dire predictions of carnage, violence, shoot outs at the OK corral, etc.,"a

Is a bear Catholic?

Does the Pope poop in the woods?

Of course they have. That's the only thing they have. It's the big lie repeated many times. Only, in their case, it's been slipping effectiveness for years.

Old February 6, 2012, 10:18 PM   #7
RamItOne

oh man seriously?? now you mean all the criminals that buy guns out of vans can buy more than one gun a month??? those irresponsible gun toting republicans
Old February 7, 2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver
the mrs has a 1 handgun a month rule here.....
The Mrs. is not subject to constitutional limitations. . . (Neither is Mrs. McGee, I might add.)
Old February 7, 2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Outstanding news. I had no idea that Virginia had a one hand gun a month rule. I'm glad we have another victory.
Old February 7, 2012, 08:59 PM   #10
rburch

What were we thinking? We're gonna lose the only points we got on that Brady Bunch state score list they publish every year.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old February 8, 2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Virginia has 16 points from Brady's scorecard.

Repeal of 1 gun a month will take us back to 13 points.

We need to get universal Vermont carry, which will pull another 2 points, Campus Carry, another 2 points, and protection for those who want to leave guns in cars in employers parking lots, another 2 points.

That would get us back to 7 points, a FAR more reasonable score.

Old February 9, 2012, 01:51 AM   #12
rburch

Oops, guess we do have some more work to do.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old February 9, 2012, 03:45 PM   #13
brickeyee

Quote:
Virginia has 16 points from Brady's scorecard.

Repeal of 1 gun a month will take us back to 13 points.

We need to get universal Vermont carry, which will pull another 2 points, Campus Carry, another 2 points, and protection for those who want to leave guns in cars in employers parking lots, another 2 points.

That would get us back to 7 points, a FAR more reasonable score.
Know we have a goal, and even a scorekeeper.

Being last has advantages.
Old February 11, 2012, 05:10 PM   #14
chris in va

Proud of VA. First it was restaurant carry, now this. My friend lives in MD, been trying to convince him to move there for years.

Last edited by chris in va; February 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old February 11, 2012, 07:40 PM   #15
thallub

i remember the anti-gun tidal wave that swept in the VA "one gun per month law". It was a dumb law and i'll be glad to see it go away.

BTW: The Brady bunch gives OK two points. If we can get the legislature to approve campus carry we'll be at 0.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yesterday the Virginia Senate passed the House's version of the one handgun a month repeal

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...=bil&val=hb940

That means that it's on its way to the Governor for signature!

One handgun a month should be history on July 1 2012!

Old February 15, 2012, 06:05 PM   #17
Poodleshooter

As my dad (a recent VA resident) says: "I wish I could afford more than 1 gun a month".
Old February 23, 2012, 07:45 PM   #18
B.N.Real

Funny thing was,when the law was in effect and there was still a Gilbert's small arms range in Springfield,Va. , I was able to buy all the guns a month I wanted up to the number of days in the month.

How?

If I had a trade in gun,they would'nt apply the law to the purchase because you were giving up one gun for another.

All of that had to go in the information for the purchase.

Gunserial number being traded in with the gun serial number being bought on that day.

Many years later I told another gun store's employee about this and he said-oh no-you can't do that.

"Heck Man",I told him,"the guys at Gilberts called Richmond and made sure it was legal to do it."

And I did that three times over several months there.

Anyway,you won't have to trade any guns anymore to buy more then one gun a month in Virginia soon.
Old February 23, 2012, 10:13 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
One handgun a month should be history on July 1 2012!
Great. Now the streets are gonna run red with blood, just like they did in...in...well, somewhere.
Old February 24, 2012, 10:09 AM   #20
johnbt

I have pointed out to I don't know how many Richmonders that the ATF already requires dealers to report multiple pistol/revolver purchases in a 5 day period. And not just the VA dealers. So far, that's ended the complaining about the change in the law. Here's the form. The typical reaction is, "They do? Oh."

www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf
Old February 25, 2012, 12:20 PM   #21
natman

There's a one handgun a month law in California. Don't tell anyone, but I'm way behind my quota.
Old February 26, 2012, 01:07 PM   #22
brickeyee

Quote:
There's a one handgun a month law in California. Don't tell anyone, but I'm way behind my quota.
Decent quality is not inexpensive.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:04 AM   #23
alloy

I heard on the radio this bill has to be signed today, so I have fingers crossed.
Old February 28, 2012, 08:33 PM   #24
wally626

A VCDL email said the Gov. sign the bill, so after July 1, 2012 you can buy two handguns from a dealer without needing to show a CHP or fill out special forms.