The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 21, 2018, 02:07 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Heavy Barrel 6.5 Creedmore Suggestion

Not too long ago I got a Savage 12FV .223 which have been enjoying. Now the next on the list is the 6.5 creedmore bolt action rifle. Now I am trying to look for one that is heavy barrel as plan on going past 200+yds, don't do competition shooting as I don't have the skill yet. Actually far from it. Do plan to shoot it more than the other rifles I have, which is not much. Slowly adding. The 2 ranges I go to only allow paper targets only.

What I don't like about the 12FV is the top load, took me a bit to get used to loading this way. Frustrating at first, but now not so much a big deal. It has a 2 piece rail which at first wanted a one piece. A member here was kind enough to try a one piece rail on a rifle he owns and was having difficulty loading the ammunition. On this new rifle I plan on putting a 20moa rail. Wouldn't mind getting a threaded barrel as I checked two gunsmiths and it would be between $120-$150 plus the wait time.

Not trying to spend $1,200 but can if need be.

I was considering a Remington, but from replies to some threads I posted and others I have read, people mention quality problems with this company. Now not so sure. Since I lack knowledge, I don't know what stay away from.

Open to suggestions. Thanks guys.
Old June 21, 2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Have you looked at thr Ruger precision rifle in 6.5?

My buddy has one in 308 and its a sweet shooter with a good price point. Is it a out of the box 1200 yd benchrest rifle...no

Will it hit at reasonable ranges...yep
Old June 21, 2018, 06:09 PM   #3
RC20

Just the ticket for you.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVA...LE/2464333.uts
Old June 21, 2018, 06:18 PM   #4
jmr40

http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tik...tactical-rifle

I have this rifle in 308 and this would be my suggestion for you. In blue this is an $800-$900 gun at street prices. About $1000 in SS. They offer 20" and 24" in 6.5 CM. Personally I think 20" is enough and it keeps weight down. This isn't too heavy for most hunting, mine is 8 3/4 lbs scoped. Probably not a mountain rifle, but not too bad for general hunting.

Magazines are EXPENSIVE, over $100 most places, but I found a spare here at the best price.

https://www.eurooptic.com/S54065122-...azine-260.aspx

If you really want to keep the price down the Ruger Predator is under $400 and amazingly accurate for the money.

Winston Churchill
Old June 21, 2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Bfglowkey

The RPR in 6.5 is a great rifle to shoot long range. With shopping around you can find it for a grand or a smidge less. It has all the bells and whistles ...rail, threaded and already has a brake installed. The Savage 12 FV is a very solid platform you can build up. The build up to match your needs would be about the same price and allow you to make it your own personal touch. I just did it in 308 and it is just fun and satisfying to shoot ( shoots really well to boot). The longer heavy varmint countor barrel can handle alot of rounds in a string and the longer barrel will help with velocities and stretch that cartridge to the lengths desired. I put a clamp on Muzzle brake from Witt machine and I am pleased with it's performance.
The Howa 1500 action barreled from Buds gun shop will also give you a great start.
Last you could do the Rueger American Predator and it will be the same as the 12 FV (not stat or feature wise but in terms of building up) and be a project but fun.

Last edited by Bfglowkey; June 22, 2018 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Typos
Old June 22, 2018, 02:17 PM   #6
Rimfire5

I have Remington, CZ, and Savage bolt actions. Lately, I have been buying Savages because every one I have purchased shot great right out of the box. Not so with the Remington 700s that needed replacement triggers and stocks to get them to shoot as the great Remington 700 action could. The CZs were accurate but not quite in the same league as the Savages, probably because most of my CZs do not come with bull barrels.

For my 6.5 Creedmoor rifles, I have a Savage 12 LRP ($1100) with the precision target Accu-trigger that came from the factory set at 10 oz. fitted with a 26 inch fluted bull barrel and a 10T-SR, suppressor ready, with a standard Accu-trigger and a semi-heavy 24 inch barrel made especially for Cabela's ($550). At 100 yards, the 12 LRP shoots slightly better than the 10T-SR. Both have detachable standard Savage magazines. The 10T-SR came with a full length scope mount. I have a two piece scope mount on my 12 LRP, primarily because the precision receiver has less space available for ejection and the two piece mount doesn't restrict the limited opening any further.

The 12 LRP has shot a 0.881 20 round group at 100 yards so it is very accurate. It's 5 round group average is under 0.375 at 100 yards.

A friend has a 6.5mm Creedmoor 10 FCP-SR ($600+) that came with a semi-heavy 24 barrel and a standard Accu-trigger and a 10 round mag. It is also suppressor ready I can't attest to how well that one shoots but he says it is very accurate.

Any of the three Savages would meet your criteria, but I really enjoy shooting the 12 LRP. It is uncanny. When I do my part, it puts one shot on top of another. It is truly a joy to shoot and is worth the extra money in my opinion.
Old June 22, 2018, 03:05 PM   #7
std7mag

Ino,
That would depend on your budget.
From re-barreling a used Savage Axis, to a custom build.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 22, 2018, 04:02 PM   #8
ninosdemente

Thank you guys for the suggestions/explanations.

I have seen the Ruger Precision Rifle. For that money, wouldn't one think that it could go far distances or rather a skilled person can make the rifle go far? To be honest I do like the look of the rifle and have been eyeing a style like that for a bit.

I have read where other members suggest not needing an expensive rifle as some of much less rifles will do the job.

Funny, I got the 12FV when I was contemplating on the Savage® Arms Model 10T-SR Tactical Bolt. At that time the 10T was $100 off but opted out for the 12FV. Was going back and forth for a few days before I finally made up my mind. Lol.

An online search mentioned Tikka a couple of times.
Old June 22, 2018, 04:11 PM   #9
ninosdemente

If I read a post (here) correctly, the Ruger Predator was mentioned as being less accurate vs the Savages. Well certain savages, I just can't recall which models.
Old June 22, 2018, 06:17 PM   #10
RC20

Its a kind of buys your tickets and takes your chances. I don't think you can draw a line on one model or the other. My brother had a Ruger and sold it because it did not shoot that well. Other have them and love them.

Savages tend to do better and the heavier barrel Varmint Contour generally do better yet (less barrel warp)

The nice thing about the Savage is the trigger and the barrel removal system (install)

You can do yourself or a gun smith for low cost.

Bunches of Pre Made barrels that screw right on and head space to a go gauge.

Low cost stocks from Boyds if you want to upgrade (probably for others, I do know the fit on the Savages is superb)

There are no guarantees (any there are, they deeply hedged) so its really what suits you and the price.

Savage does not shoot like you want, pull the barrel, sell it and buy a Shilen or a Criterion.
Old June 23, 2018, 08:05 AM   #11
kraigwy

I have both the Ruger Precision Rifle and the Ruger American Preditor in 6.5 CM.

You would be suprised to learn shooting both, there really isnt a difference in Accuracy between the two. Both are extremely accurate.

Not sure I would have gotten the RPR had I bought the RAP first.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 23, 2018, 03:15 PM   #12
Chaparral

Please do yourself a favor and look at the Savage LRP (Long Range Precision) in 6.5 CM. I have one that I mounted a SWFA SS variable on. Unbelievable accuracy. Savage only makes the LRP in 3 calibers. .260, .243, & 6.5CM. I have all 3. I call them my triplets. Without a doubt some of the most accurate rifles I own.
Old June 23, 2018, 03:21 PM   #13
Chaparral

Here is is the one I own that I spoke of. Slightly different stock.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...B1+6.5CREED+26
Old June 23, 2018, 03:25 PM   #14
Chaparral

Savage LRP 6.5 CM – IMR 4350 41.5 gr – 2.710 COAL – Hornady 120 gr Amax

Silly Accurate!!!
Old June 23, 2018, 03:27 PM   #15
wahsben

I've got an RPR and I'm very pleased with it. It does allow quite a bit of modification too which is nice if you want to change the stock, handguard, barrel etc. I don't have a Savage in 6.5 but the ones I've got are good guns.
Old June 23, 2018, 05:14 PM   #16
ninosdemente

kraigwy, thanks for the comparison. at least for me does give a different perspective.

Although still liking the style of the RPR. lol.

Curious, if one purchases a rifle like RPR/ Savage LRP do you get essentially better quality vs a 10T-SR (for this argument)?

For me as it seems that I can't get off my head the look of the RPR, is there a similar stock one can purchase to replace the stock of a 10T-SR? If so, would going this route be "better" or would spending be near what a RPR would cost? Not to say that would consider a RPR for just the look. Which is why I asked regarding quality of both.
Old June 23, 2018, 05:17 PM   #17
ninosdemente

Chaparral, how far have you gone with your rifle. Thank you for the link. Did checked the link you provided.
Old June 23, 2018, 05:23 PM   #18
Bfglowkey

The satisfaction of building up a rifle that shoots well is pretty good. I took the aforementioned Savage 12 FV in 308 and built it into a sweet eye Turner that shoots very very impressive. And I still have glass bedding to do. When I decide I can't squeeze any more out of it's current set up. How does one upload pictures to the sight?
Old June 23, 2018, 05:51 PM   #19
ninosdemente

Bfglowkey, would like to see what you have done so far. I can agree with you that building something from ground up can be a satisfying feeling. From what you have done so far, how much have you spent already if you don't mind me asking? I have not done a build as I don't have much I own. To get an idea. Thanks.

Not sure if this is the best method but you might need to set up a free photo storage account in order to place or insert an image here.

Could possibly use this is already have an account: https://www.google.com/photos/about/

or http://photobucket.com/

These are where you can upload and store photos.
Old June 23, 2018, 05:52 PM   #20
ninosdemente

At least for me, it only accepts external links to where one has the photos stored.
Old June 24, 2018, 07:24 AM   #21
Bfglowkey

Lets see if this works....and will give a small synopsis:

As I mentioned this is the Savage 12FV from Cabela's chambered in 308. It sports the 26" Heavy Varmint Contour barrel ( which looks ALOT like the LRP barrel if you ask me but I am sure there are differences) has the Accu-trigger and internal magazine that holds 4+1 rounds. You can see the factory stock laying there. I ordered a new unfinished stock from http://www.rifle-stocks.com/ which in hind sight I could have just went with Boyds and saved myself the finishing work but I had fun customizing the internal bedding and putting just the right amount of laminate on it. I Texas rigged ( coining the phrase ) a drill press using a handheld drill and my clamp on vice to get the pillar bedding right. Mounted a Blackhawk 20MOA Pictany one piece rail and paired it with my Athlon ARES 6x24x50 FFP with MIL xmas tree style reticle. On the end I just got the clamp on muzzle brake from https://www.wittmachine.net/ and I will say I am now a believer.
It is a very stout Rifle to say the least and while I probably will only hunt from our posh Deer stands my father constructed in the deep woods of Canada and slay as many coyotes from the ridge where we have land and see them by the stream, it could be shouldered if need be. On the bench/prone at the range it shoots very well and I have just finished tuning a 168 SMK round and a 165 Gameking based on same load using the OCW method and I am very very pleased. Working on a varmint/lower recoil load and things look good already.
Price:
Rifle from Cabela's on sale: $349.00
Stock: $139.00
Finishing Kit: 29.00
Witt Muzzle Brake: $79.00
Athlon Scope: (had it when I upgraded on my RPR) $ 349.00 from Amazon
Misc parts from Lowes ( lamp post for pillars): $7.99
Time spent: 18 hrs over 3 weeks
If the pics don't work PM me and I will share them via Goggle

Last edited by Bfglowkey; June 24, 2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old June 24, 2018, 07:30 AM   #22
Bfglowkey

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JOTkNJa2p0d0p3
Old June 24, 2018, 07:50 AM   #23
Bfglowkey

And they do make that 12FV in 6.5
Old June 24, 2018, 08:02 AM   #24
ninosdemente

Bfglowkey, although I have one in .223, I am not a big fan of top load and do plan on putting a 20moa rail that will make it difficult to load.
Old June 24, 2018, 08:09 AM   #25
ninosdemente

Is there a difference of "performance" between a clamp on muzzle brake vs one that is threaded muzzle brake.

By the way Bfglowkey, thank you for your description.