The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 21, 2018, 09:09 PM   #1
JERRYS.

Midway USA... generally good, but not this time...

I've ordered from Midway many times over the years and my only gripe until today was the poor fitting and shoddy workmanship of the latest offerings from Pachmayr (rubber grips).

well today I got another order in and two gripes. first, the Midway brand of some sort of tactical shorts... I bought a pair to try before I ordered several more in different colors. the size is simply wrong. I did not buy these for anything tactical, just for shorts that have enough pockets..... here is the info:

MidwayUSA Men's Tactical Shorts

Product #: 279912
MidwayUSA #: 612537
UPC #: 00887217028658

gripes: size runs small. if you like skinny jeans, these are the camel toe shorts for you. order two sizes bigger if you want my opinion. they fit like driving gloves, or little boys clothing. I am not fat at all (6'04" 240 lbs.) if you order a size 38 they will fit you, but you will pay for it when you sit down.

next was a pair (or one mono grip) from Hogue.

Hogue Monogrip Grips S&W J-Frame Round Butt Rubber

Product #: 422042
Hogue #: 60000
UPC #: 743108600009

gripes: grip screw is about 1/8" too short to engage the interior threaded clasp. I modified the grip (counter sunk the screw bore) and made it work. good design, poorly executed.

my gripe about midway is that in order to return the shorts for refund I'm out an additional $7 shipping. so I end up losing $14 total. an exchange I guess would include an additional shipping fee for the new pair.

lesson learned. never order clothing on-line. go to where you can try them on before you waste your time. next, after pachmayr and now Hogue have turned out lousy fitted products, I will shop where these items are in stock and I can return them without being raped for additional shipping fees on poorly made products.

griping is over.

thanks.
Old February 22, 2018, 02:43 AM   #2
Model12Win

I don't mind ordering clothes from Amazon. Doesn't fit? Return it and they will immediately send you the right size and also email you a pre-paid shipping label. Throw it back in the box, print and tape on the label, go to the post office and hand it to them. Your new size will already be on its way. Really superb honestly. I ordered tactical shorts and belts like that that didn't fit and especially with Amazon prime, you'll get the right size in the next day or two, with absolutely $0 lost on your end.
Old February 22, 2018, 02:49 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Hogue Monogrip Grips S&W J-Frame Round Butt Rubber

Product #: 422042
Hogue #: 60000
UPC #: 743108600009

gripes: grip screw is about 1/8" too short to engage the interior threaded clasp. I modified the grip (counter sunk the screw bore) and made it work. good design, poorly executed.
Not Midway's fault.

Quote:
(...) my only gripe until today was the poor fitting and shoddy workmanship of the latest offerings from Pachmayr (rubber grips).
Not Midway's fault.

The shorts?... Arguable.
...And most other retailers also have the same return policy. Not much there to complain about, other than ordering clothing online.
Old February 22, 2018, 05:33 AM   #4
cptjack

my gripe: ordered over phone many times ,and asked girl are there any sale codes ,not this time..,but if I ordered another10.00 in products free ship she omitted in telling me ,has cost midway many orders
Old February 22, 2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Onward Allusion

Don't buy clothing from a place known for gun stuff. Kinda like that commercial about getting sushi from a gas station. BTW, you may want to double check but your BMI is 7lbs from obese.
Old February 22, 2018, 12:54 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

The shorts are probably made in China. Every clothing thing made in China has something wrong with it. Bought a 'work' shirt from a well known retailer up here. Fit is perfect in the body and shoulders. Comes to my knees. I look like a high school cafeteria lady complete with beard and no teeth.
Nobody who is 6' 4" and is weighing in at 240 wears a size 38 waist. However, it's the fit that's not right. Midway says that's what they think is "regular". Kind of wondering why they think a video is necessary for shorts. snicker.
And shorts are not "tactical". Even if they're black and have a Velcro fly.
Old February 22, 2018, 01:37 PM   #7
JERRYS.

Quote:
Don't buy clothing from a place known for gun stuff. Kinda like that commercial about getting sushi from a gas station. BTW, you may want to double check but your BMI is 7lbs from obese.
yeah, um, the bmi is for people that want to look like they can wear skinny jeans, not much upper body size I would guess.

Quote:
Nobody who is 6' 4" and is weighing in at 240 wears a size 38 waist.
you have to be kidding, right?

edited to add..... yes, do not buy clothing online from a place that sells guns is a good rule of thumb.

Last edited by JERRYS.; February 22, 2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old February 25, 2018, 09:15 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

Your BMI is 29.4. BMI does not differentiate between fat and muscle. It could be all muscle, but with a BMI of 29.4 you probably are not skinny or even of medium build. Are you used to shots wth a comfort/elastic waist and these did not have one?
Buying clothes online can usually save a few bucks, but figuring out the size is a pain. I usually just buy from brands I have already tried and know my size.

My wife buys a ton from amazon and their system does reduce risk to consumer.
Old February 25, 2018, 09:49 PM   #9
JERRYS.

John, it has the comfort fit waist band alright and fit ok that way, but the rest of the shorts are cut very slim like the kind you'd see on a little boy manikin at a dept. store. if you have a flat butt, pre-puberty genitals, and tooth pick legs these are your kind of shorts.
Old February 25, 2018, 10:30 PM   #10
Sevens

Midway USA and Larry Potterfield invented the NRA Round-Up donation program... gathering -MILLIONS- of dollars and funneling it to Pro2A fight using the dollars and the voice of their customer base.
Old February 26, 2018, 09:49 AM   #11
TrueBlue711

I've been ordering from Midway for years too. My biggest complaint is their shipping has gone to crap in the past year or two. I used to make an order, it was shipped out that very day and then gets to my house maybe 2-3 days later. Now when I make an order, the label is created maybe 2-3 days later and then 4-5 days later it makes it to my house. Not impressed.
Old February 26, 2018, 10:46 AM   #12
JERRYS.

TrueBlue, my experience was great with regards to ordering shipping receiving. quick, good e-mail updates, delivered on time. my gripe about the grips is not necessarily about Midway per se, just that some of the brands they sell have shoddy workmanship. the shorts on the other hand are labeled as Midway's as in their brand. and that is a lousy product.
Old February 26, 2018, 12:10 PM   #13
CLYA

My last Midway order was on the 11th of this month. Was shipped on the 12th, and was delivered on the 15th. Good service by my standards!

During the last few years, I've ordered quite regularly from Midway. Service has always been good. No complaint here!
Old February 26, 2018, 12:49 PM   #14
Onward Allusion

Speaking for MidwayUSA, they are having their "Free shipping on orders over $99" coupon until tomorrow @ 11.59 PM, again. It's a great deal, especially on ammo.
Old February 26, 2018, 12:49 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
My biggest complaint is their shipping has gone to crap in the past year or two. I used to make an order, it was shipped out that very day and then gets to my house maybe 2-3 days later. Now when I make an order, the label is created maybe 2-3 days later and then 4-5 days later it makes it to my house. Not impressed.
If you're in a hurry:

Don't order on Fridays. -- Nothing will happen with the order until Monday.

Don't choose economy or "free" shipping. -- You can count on several extra days in transit (more like 7-9 extra days where I'm at).

Select USPS Priority if it is available. -- Usually 'Priority' is cheaper than UPS ground for small items, and it leaves Columbia a day earlier.
Old February 27, 2018, 11:36 AM   #16
pete2

Midway doesn't make the grips. Walmart sells shorts. My complaint about Midway is the shipping. 7.95 at Midway, same thing 3.98 at Brownell's.
Old February 27, 2018, 12:30 PM   #17
FITASC

Next time you want shorts with lots of pockets, go to your Costco or Sam's and get IZOD or similar for about $15/pair - if they don't fir, bring them back on your next trip for toilet paper. Blaming Midway for manufacturer errors is ludicrous. As many SKUs as they have, they cannot verify if the Asian maker's size conform to US folks.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 27, 2018, 12:42 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ctical-shorts#

Right around 85% of responding purchasers say those pants are true to size.

Looking a the picture and knowing they have a 10" inseam I'd guess they wouldn't fit me. Might have ten years ago when I had a more tactical build.
Old February 27, 2018, 02:27 PM   #19
JERRYS.

john, where are you finding the reviews? I clicked on the reviews tab and it only asks me if this information was helpful with a thumbs up or down icon choice.
Old February 28, 2018, 12:22 AM   #20
johnwilliamson062

Must be your browser. ON mine the review tab shows statistics at the top and then individual reviews below.
Old March 1, 2018, 05:17 PM   #21
In The Ten Ring

I prefer to wear my standard loadout (including ankle holster) and try pants on inside the store. This gets a little time-consuming and even annoying if there aren't enough shelves and hooks for all the crap I carry around on me.

I do wish my latest pairs of Dockers pants had deeper front pockets though. Perhaps the local seamstress can fix that for me.
Old March 2, 2018, 05:54 AM   #22
armoredman

My Midway order was delivered a day ahead of time and was perfect, picked it up yesterday afternoon.
Old March 4, 2018, 08:53 PM   #23
Airman Basic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
I've ordered from Midway many times over the years and my only gripe until today was the poor fitting and shoddy workmanship of the latest offerings from Pachmayr (rubber grips).
thanks.

Pachmayrs have gone down in quality since they changed owners. Not Potterfield's fault, I guess.
Old March 4, 2018, 10:22 PM   #24
RUT

>>BMI does not differentiate between fat and muscle. It could be all muscle<<

I've been vindicated!!
Old March 5, 2018, 02:37 PM   #25
hdwhit

Try these guys. American made (yes, we still make clothing in the United States!) and their products run true to size.

https://www.allamericanclothing.com/