The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 24, 2018, 08:35 AM   #1
ninosdemente

DPMS Panther Arms

I am not much of a AR person and don't own one, but would like to have one. I have received this email and the price does intrigue me. I get emails from this store offering throughout the year so not worried if I don't get it soon.

I read online people building their rifle, what can one do to it other than replacing external parts. The muzzle brake is fixed, that I know and am looking for .223 and/or 5.56. Was contemplating a .308 but opted for the .223/5.56.

Just using for paper targets at range only.

Is this a descent rifle or are there better options out there?
Old June 24, 2018, 08:36 AM   #2
ninosdemente

Here is the link:

https://www.dunhamsrewards.com/coupo...5.56+%24349.99
Old June 24, 2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Ruga Booga

Yes, that is a great deal with the rebate. I have a .308 Panther and I love it.
Old June 24, 2018, 11:38 AM   #4
KY_blkout

Great price, DPMS is entry level when it comes to ARs but I don't think you will have any problems with it for your intended purpose. Entry level ARs are 100x better than what they were 15 years ago right after they came back from the ban.
Old June 24, 2018, 06:57 PM   #5
kymasabe

Great place to start, good price. But I've learned that I like to change stocks, and pistol grips, and triggers (and sometimes more) so is easier for me to build my own lower from parts I prefer. Also, front sight lower than rear sight us a deal breaker for me.
Old June 24, 2018, 09:04 PM   #6
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the help. I know for the price I really can't ask for more, but as mentioned only for range purposes.

Kymasabe, do you mind if you provide some links of where you get your pieces from? I too would like to change some things on this rifle when I do get it.
Old June 24, 2018, 09:35 PM   #7
RC20

If money is not an issue, I would consider Rock River Arms.

You can do some custom selection, decent barrels and some accuracy guaranteed (for what its worth and with ammo they list).

One option I would opt for is the Chrome Match two stage trigger. Very good one. You can buy it after market from them as well.

Its worth a run through on pricing. You do run in the $1200 range as I recall.

I would still have mine but I was not shooting it and was deep into my Savage Target builds. Unless its a collector I don't like guns just sitting there.
Old June 24, 2018, 09:42 PM   #8
youngridge

Great option. You can spend money and customize it and figure out what you really like and don’t like before your next purchase....you can never have just one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 24, 2018, 11:22 PM   #9
ninosdemente

Thanks RC20 for the suggestion. Hopefully this is not a dumb question, but if I were to get the DPMS would I be able to get certain parts from the link provided such as butt stocks, grip, handrails, etc. Not looking to spend much on an ar rifle so I would not go all out. As mentioned, only used for paper target and am currently considering getting a bolt action rifle as well.

Perhaps I used the term "build" lightly and am looking more for cosmetic replacements if that term is adequate to use. Due to lack of experience/knowledge I'm unaware of prices for the parts so I do take into consideration of final price paid vs buying something similar to final price and being "considered" better than the DPMS.

Maybe I might like it and just as youngridge said, one might not be enough eventually. My brother has the same rifle (paid more many months back) I am thinking of getting so maybe don't need to get a that rifle just yet and think about the .308. I know, not the same as having your own but at least that rifle is accessible to me for the meantime.
Old June 24, 2018, 11:26 PM   #10
ninosdemente

I quickly looked up Chrome Match two stage trigger. Standard stock triggers are heavier for ar's? I did read the Chrome Match two stage trigger has a 5lb trigger pull.
Old June 25, 2018, 12:19 AM   #11
KY_blkout

Changing stocks, grips, and handrails would be no problem on it. As far as stock options you will have to check if the carbine has a mil spec of commercial size buffer or maybe someone who is more familiar with DPMS can chime in who already knows. Once you find that out you will see stocks offered in either mil spec of commercial size. Alot more stocks are offered in mil spec so if does happen to be commercial size you can always change out the buffer tube for a mil spec and get more stock options.
Old June 25, 2018, 07:43 AM   #12
BWM

Yes that is a good price. Will you have to pay sale tax?
Old June 25, 2018, 09:00 AM   #13
TrueBlue711

Wow, that is a great price. I got that same rifle about 8 years ago for $500. Believe it or not, the attached pic is the same gun you're looking to buy. I just slowly upgraded it over the years. Still shoots great, even for being an entry level AR. For just paper punching, this thing will work just fine. My vote is go for it.

You can replace anything on an AR. Probably the most user friendly firearm out there when it comes to armoring (can't call it gunsmithing since it's just remove and replacing parts). As you mentioned, I would replace the outside furniture. Magpul makes good stuff that both feels and looks much better than stock furniture, and for a good price too. I would also replace the trigger. I never looked into Chrome Match triggers, but ALG makes a single stage trigger much better than stock triggers for about $50.

One thing about the Oracle is the gas block is made of aluminum. For just the occasional paper punching, it's fine. But if you get addicted and start shooting it a lot, I would replace the gas block too. Thankfully, that's not too expensive to replace either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oracle.jpg (14.4 KB, 24 views)
Old June 25, 2018, 12:27 PM   #14
ThomasT

I have one AR. A DPMS Lightweight Carbine. I added a RRA carry handle to it. Now I have around $750 in it IIRC. I knew when I bought it it was not a Top Shelf AR. It didn't matter to me. I really didn't like ARs before I bought it and still don't care that much for them.

But it works and shoots just fine. I have no plans to sell it. I will not make any upgrades but do admit the trigger could be a little better. It has a long take up before it fires. I feel it was worth what paid for it.

If I were looking for my first AR would I buy this same gun again? Yes I would.
Old June 25, 2018, 04:42 PM   #15
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the replies. Will definitely look for that sale price again as it did past already (yesterday). This is the second time I see it so I know it will be on sale again eventually.

How can one tell when the gas block is needed. Maybe I might need it as I might only use 3-5 (stretching it with 5, lol) boxes and usually I only go 2-3 times a month. Perhaps that does not constitute as shooting a lot.

Just to avoid another thread (and curiosity), what would be considered a "step up" from the DPMS?
Old June 25, 2018, 06:10 PM   #16
kymasabe

S&W m&p2, ruger556, but I like palmetto state armory.
Old June 25, 2018, 07:18 PM   #17
44caliberkid

The first thing you're going to need is sights. Either a scope, red dot, or BUIS. You probably won't [I]need[I] to replace the gas block anytime soon. The ALG triggers are nice, or watch for a Chip Mc Cormick modular on sale ($115 - $120), 3.5 pound pull and super easy to install.
Old June 25, 2018, 11:40 PM   #18
KY_blkout

I actually think for the price palmetto state pumps out pretty good stuff. I think right now you can get a complete AR kit (minus the lower) for 300 bucks and free shipping. So you figure 50 bucks for a lower and 50 bucks for a magpul flip up and you are in it for 400. Great company as well, buddy of mine just ordered that kit and they sent him a pistol brace and pistol buffer tube and kit by mistake instead of the standard kit, he called them and they sent him the right stuff and told him to keep the brace and other lower parts.
Old June 27, 2018, 08:36 AM   #19
ninosdemente

My plan is to get a red dot for it.
Old June 27, 2018, 08:43 AM   #20
ninosdemente

That kit can be obtained from here: http://palmettostatearmory.com/

If not mistaken, the lower is the important part of the ar? Without it you basically can't go pew, pew?
Old June 27, 2018, 08:47 AM   #21
KY_blkout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
That kit can be obtained from here: http://palmettostatearmory.com/

If not mistaken, the lower is the important part of the ar? Without it you basically can't go pew, pew?
Without any part of the AR it won't go pew pew, the lower is just the part that houses the trigger group and is serialized (unless an 80 percent you are finishing yourself) and thus considered the "firearm" part of the gun.
Old June 27, 2018, 08:50 AM   #22
TrueBlue711

Quote:
Well, all parts are important. But the lower is what is considered the "firearm" if you tore it all apart. It is the serialized part and what the ATF tracks when you fill out the paperwork to get it. You could have almost the entire rifle sent to your front door via mail and no paperwork required. But you would need to go through an FFL holder to get the lower receiver.
Old June 27, 2018, 07:30 PM   #23
ninosdemente

Thanks for the reply.
Old June 28, 2018, 09:23 AM   #24
imashooter

I have an Oracle which I changed up over the last year or so; only out of desire, not necessity. Mine has been excellent and I would recommend you purchase at that price if available again. As others have stated, some good deals are to be had from PSA. I'm puzzled about your remarked regarding the fixed flash hider*. Never seen that on an Oracle.

* ".... The muzzle brake is fixed, that I know ...."
Old June 28, 2018, 05:11 PM   #25
ninosdemente

I would have to check my brothers rifle.... if not mistaken I think he tried to change it before and couldn't. Will double check and let you know.