The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 6, 2019, 10:58 PM   #51
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
"ASSAULT RIFLE": Well we all know where that one goes....
Assault rifle is a good example of what was once a valid term with a well understood definition and a clear historical origin. Adolf Hitler created it in 1944, but in the last couple decades it has been "stolen" or co-opted or what ever you want to call it, today the term is being LEGALLY applied to ALL semiautomatic rifles in my state.

When the Christmas carol "Deck the Halls" was written, "gay apparel" had NOTHING to do with anyone's sexual orientation, gay referred to bright and colorful, something happy and cheerful.

Ask anyone on the street today what "gay" means and I don't think bright an colorful will be their first response...
Old November 7, 2019, 10:51 AM   #52
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post

When the Christmas carol "Deck the Halls" was written, "gay apparel" had NOTHING to do with anyone's sexual orientation, gay referred to bright and colorful, something happy and cheerful.

Ask anyone on the street today what "gay" means and I don't think bright an colorful will be their first response...
Actually "gay" was used to describe young boys who prostituted themselves to male clients back in the same general time period as that classic Carol was written. So altho it was more commonly used to imply heterosexually unconstrained lifestyles, the homosexual reference was there, just not "out" like it is now, Go to any High School nowadays and the negative connotation of ''gay" is not a person's sexuality, but means "lame" or "stupid" and generally refers to something inanimate.

But.....now we are getting a long way from any thing gun related. Just sayin'.
Old November 8, 2019, 06:48 AM   #53
Geezerbiker

When I was in college I figured out that there were a some words that they used to make the less educated look stupid. I've done my best to forget those words and to use more common terms in their place...

Tony
Old November 8, 2019, 10:16 AM   #54
vito

Every industry or field of interest has its own terminology, which might be a form of shorthand for those working/interested in that field or used to create an impression of expertise. My first job out of college was with a big NYC advertising agency. I was called a "Media Analyst". I was tasked with doing the research and writing a report for our client on the advertising being used, and the dollars being spent, by competitors in various media. Knowing that the client did not have familiarity with insider advertising lingo, I wrote the report using common English so it would be understood. My boss was furious, and told me to re-write the report using as many jargon words and acronyms as possible, with the intent of totally confusing the client. This way, the client would ask for explanations and make us seem more professional and technical that the subject matter really was. I've seen the same practice in virtually everything I have ever been involved in, from my 24 years in the Army, my post-Army years in health care administration, as well as my personal interests in motorcycling and firearms. No sense fighting it.
Old November 9, 2019, 05:20 AM   #55
44 AMP
Staff

One of the things that bugs me about jargon, especially abbreviations (and particularly the recently made up ones) is many people not following the usual convention of English writing when using them.

The first time in a document a term is used, it should be the entire full term, written out, with the abbreviation. After that, using just the abbreviation is acceptable.

Some abbreviations and acronyms have been in use so long everyone knows what they are or mean, like RADAR. But, other newer terms (and many of them seem made up on the spot for ease of typing) should be explained ONCE, at least. You and I may finally get that BCG is bolt carrier group and LGS is Local Gun Shop from context, but we shouldn't HAVE to.
Old November 9, 2019, 03:21 PM   #56
1MoreFord

Quote:
One of the things that bugs me about jargon, especially abbreviations (and particularly the recently made up ones) is many people not following the usual convention of English writing when using them.

The first time in a document a term is used, it should be the entire full term, written out, with the abbreviation. After that, using just the abbreviation is acceptable.

Some abbreviations and acronyms have been in use so long everyone knows what they are or mean, like RADAR. But, other newer terms (and many of them seem made up on the spot for ease of typing) should be explained ONCE, at least. You and I may finally get that BCG is bolt carrier group and LGS is Local Gun Shop from context, but we shouldn't HAVE to.
Where's the like button on this forum?
Old November 9, 2019, 05:34 PM   #57
Tactical Jackalope

It might have to do with the Internet.

Before, you'd take a class with Clint Smith (who by the way, says "run the gun") and he'd say that in a class. A class of 30 hears it and thinks nothing of it or only speaks to his or her friends and family about what they learned.

Today, so many instructors share small tidbits on YouTube and other platforms so the words get around to mass numbers A LOT more adequately.

It's just the times.
Old November 9, 2019, 08:58 PM   #58
kenny53

For the most part the words and phrases that are causing a bruhaha are being used by fellow shooters and gun owners. I usually know what information they are trying to convey. I just enjoy their stories or information they are sharing. Keep your powder dry and shoot straight, peace out.
Old November 9, 2019, 09:42 PM   #59
SHR970

Quote:
For the most part the words and phrases that are causing a bruhaha are being used by fellow shooters and gun owners.
I must disagree with you here; many are used by those who would restrict our rights and end up as part of the jargon used by fellow shooters. There is a reason there are a subset of owners known as Fudd's. It is going to hurt the feelings of many here but Parker Otto Ackley is one of the original Fudd's and put it in print in his second manual*.

* If challenged AGAIN on this point I will once again type out verbatim with FULL ATTRIBUTION his words as I have done before under Fair Use Doctrine. Ref. Pg.s 120 & 121 if you have it.
Old November 10, 2019, 08:06 AM   #60
Bozz10mm

The term booger hook when referring to the trigger finger. Just rubs me the wrong way..
Old November 10, 2019, 11:11 AM   #61
kenny53

The term booger hook, OK this one bugs me.
Old November 11, 2019, 12:55 PM   #62
JJ45

What I hate most. Maybe not all jargon but close enough.

When talking about guns;

"entry level"... condescending and who's to say what is and what isn't?
"range toy" ... same as above, I know what is mean't but first of all, guns ain't toys and one man's toy may be another man's go to.
"tactical" ... pretty soon we'll see tactical diapers and tactical toilet paper!
"followed me home" ... why not just say bought or acquired?
"scored"...same as the above, a left over from the 60s/70s ...thanks for letting me get off a rant.
Old November 11, 2019, 02:49 PM   #63
Erno86

"tacticool"

"magazine dump"

"crack-off a shot"

"dressed to the nines"

"Let's make some noise"

"range nazi"

"Let's ring some steel"

"Can't hit the broadside of a barn...that is ten feet away"

"put another round in the pipe"

"space gun"

target pulling --- "working in the pits"

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; November 11, 2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old November 11, 2019, 04:56 PM   #64
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erno86
"dressed to the nines"
Not saying you have to like it, but this one is hardly gun-related jargon.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/...the-nines.html

https://www.lexico.com/en/explore/or...d-to-the-nines

https://www.todayifoundout.com/index...ed-nines-came/

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the...-the-nines.htm
Old November 11, 2019, 05:41 PM   #65
Ben Dover

"Scout rifle" is another that bugs me.
"Cop Chicks" as an insult to female LEOs.
"Hand crafted whiskey" for illegal moonshine.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 11, 2019, 05:46 PM   #66
dyl

Dressed to the nines. I never did feel comfortable using that one.

"Mall Ninja"

- which I actually don't have a problem with, it's just not intuitive. I think there was a Reddit thread where someone pretended to be a super special mall security guard who rode around on a Segway. He was asking about various firearms and gear way in excess of his role and bragging about his skills. It was all in good fun.
Old November 11, 2019, 10:20 PM   #67
SHR970

Quote:
"Mall Ninja"
aka Tacticool Tommy, Counter Commando, & Gun Shop Warrior.
Old November 12, 2019, 01:03 AM   #68
FrankenMauser

Quote:
"tacticool"

"magazine dump"

"crack-off a shot"

"dressed to the nines"

"Let's make some noise"

"range nazi"

"Let's ring some steel"

"Can't hit the broadside of a barn...that is ten feet away"

"put another round in the pipe"

"space gun"

target pulling --- "working in the pits"
^^^^^
All valid under the right - sometimes very broad - circumstances..

Not jargon.

But if you don't like 'gun shop commando' or similar, you may not like "counter monkey" (in reference to the brain-dead, but over-opinionated idiots behind the counter of the average gun shop).
Old November 12, 2019, 01:34 AM   #69
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
"Scout rifle" is another that bugs me.
I always thought Cooper's concept for a "Scout rifle" was a rather elegant and practical concept. Just 3/4 of a century or so too late for serious consideration by military scouts. And, of course as people started making them, they deviated from Coopers original concepts often.

IF you create something new, you're allowed to name it, anything you want, even if it doesn't make sense to the rest of us.

making up new names for existing things just for their cuteness appeal or shock value doesn't fall in the category of creating a new thing, to me.

Technobabble is a popular pastime for a lot of folks these days.
Old November 12, 2019, 08:06 AM   #70
SPEMack618

As a sales manager for a small independent shop; I find myself using "platform" in regards to Glock and AR- patterns weapons a lot.

I mean, no it's not an AR-15 cause it's made by BCM, but it is an AR- style rifle.

Same goes for the plethora of non Glock glock copies and parts.

I loathe the name tactical. Loathe it.

If it it is not describing the role of an F-16 versus a B-52, then it ain't tactical.

And speaking of; tactical; when Dad was at Lakenheath; I'm cam to associate pants with what one wore under ones trousers.
Old November 12, 2019, 12:38 PM   #71
JJ45

Quote:
I always thought Cooper's concept for a "Scout rifle" was a rather elegant and practical concept. Just 3/4 of a century or so too late for serious consideration by military scouts. And, of course as people started making them, they deviated from Coopers original concepts often.

IF you create something new, you're allowed to name it, anything you want, even if it doesn't make sense to the rest of us.

making up new names for existing things just for their cuteness appeal or shock value doesn't fall in the category of creating a new thing, to me.

Technobabble is a popular pastime for a lot of folks these days.
You hit the nail on the head 44....the term Scout Rifle is not jargon but describes a specific weapon. Obviously touted by Col Cooper.

General purpose rifle for the fighter and hunter who might be expected to fire one or two shots then wisely change his venue (in regards to the fighter)

Cooper had very specific criteria and more or less discouraged adulterated (pseudo scouts) versions.

6.6 LBS, Bolt Action
A meter or less in OAL
Chambered short action to more easily make length
.308 was his general recommendation since the cartridge had to be powerful enough for medium large game and effective to at least 450 meters, I think
Iron sights (ghost ring aperture, post front) were a necessity, not an option.
An optional low powered, forward mounted telescope so as not to interfere with the irons and to possibly facilitate the use of stripper clips.

These are just the criteria that I remember, there are undoubtedly others

But "jargon" the Scout Rifle is not, at least as Col Cooper would say "when fully understood"
Old November 12, 2019, 01:50 PM   #72
7.62 man

I've been building guns for years & never found the need to use any of the chic jargon that all seem to have the need to use to impress others.
The only terms I use is something like "quality in equals quality out" I don't use brand names or numbers like others use. Because a quality part from one company is not much better than a quality part from another. Use & application of the parts is what produces a reliable accurate outcome.
Then the bullet hits the target consistently all the chic jargon that the other shooters were saying tends to fade away fast. LOL
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #73
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR970 View Post
I must disagree with you here; many are used by those who would restrict our rights and end up as part of the jargon used by fellow shooters. There is a reason there are a subset of owners known as Fudd's.
Interesting........While we hate trendy gun jargon, we insist on using it ourselves, even tho it alienates us to other, fellow, responsible, gun owners.
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #74
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR
While we hate trendy gun jargon, we insist on using it ourselves, even tho it alienates us to other, fellow, responsible, gun owners.
Isn't the point of the term fudd that the person isn't a responsible owner in that he irresponsibly endorses restrictions?

If an individual is alienated by an accurate description of his position, who is to blame for the alienation?