The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 18, 2018, 11:08 AM   #51
JDBerg

With the exception of my Walther PPS-M2 that I bought a few years ago not long after it first came out, I’m not an “early adapter”. I like to let others work the early production bugs out of the latest & greatest to hit the shelves. I have been buying out of the used gun cases of late so I let the original owners take the depreciation hit.

I’m backing off of getting one of the Gen5 Glocks, my Gen3’s serve me just fine, and I don’t like the idea of laying out up to $700 for a Gen5 19 with the AmeriGlo sights (the Gen5’s with those sights are up to $100 over the base model, which is outrageous). I’ll wait until next year for the original owner to sell or trade theirs, and get it for around $400!

Last edited by JDBerg; January 18, 2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old January 18, 2018, 05:12 PM   #52
berettaprofessor

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that no one has yet mentioned the R51.

But I guess I will; yes, I tend to buy some new interesting thoughts or designs; Beretta PX4, Ruger SR22, and lately the R51. The first two are okay but not spectacular. The latter has cured me; the Peterson device idea, and the overall look of the gun sucked me in, but I was so disappointed with it that I'm going to wait for future guns to be "proven" before I bite. And as a Beretta fanatic, I think I haven't been really excited over anything recently; I think the PX4 is ugly, even though I bought it, and I won't even bite on the APX; Beretta, please stay away from striker guns! There are plenty of others on the market.

(Well, I guess I did buy a Ruger Mark IV Hunter early on and more recently than the R51; and I'm happy with it...so I'm not entirely cured).
Old January 18, 2018, 06:20 PM   #53
BubbaBlades

I did "adopt new firearm technologies immediately" at least three times. These innovative handguns included a Kriss Vector .45 pistol, a DoubleTap Derringer and a Phillips and Rogers Medusa multi-caliber revolver.

The Kriss and the Double Tap had their list prices drop by more than 30% not long after I bought them.

The Medusa went up in value but parts and service are near impossible to find.

Based on the above, I will not be quite as quick to be the first kid on the block to buy innovative handguns in the future.
Old January 18, 2018, 11:03 PM   #54
Andy Blozinski

I pack a Chiappa Rhino for my concealed carry. Upside down revolver. It works great. No muzzle flip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rhino 2.jpg (17.4 KB, 11 views)
Old January 18, 2018, 11:34 PM   #55
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaprofessor View Post
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that no one has yet mentioned the R51.
R51? I thought we were talking about guns, not paperweights.

The Pederson action is cool and I'd love to have a single stack 9mm that uses it, but just not from Remmie. Remmie's in recovery mode.

EDIT: And you can't just support something that's not well made because it's "innovative." Kel-Tec is a prime example. The PMR-30 is pretty innovative, but it's Kel-Tec, I've never heard much praise for any Kel-Tec handgun other than the P32. I also know that .22 Magnum is not meant to be run in a semi auto out of a detachable box magazine.

Last edited by TruthTellers; January 18, 2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old January 19, 2018, 12:28 AM   #56
Bill DeShivs

The Keltecs are all "well-made." They use quality materials that are appropriate for their intended purpose. Their P11 put Keltec on the map. The PF9 is still one of the smallest, lightest, thinnest 9mm pistols. The P3AT was the gun that Ruger copied for the LCP.
Whether you "know" .22 mag is not meant to be run in a semi auto out of a box magazine is irrelevant. The PMR 30 does it well.
Old January 19, 2018, 12:51 AM   #57
TruthTellers

The trade off with "innovative" guns is trust. I don't trust .22 Magnum autoloaders.
Old January 19, 2018, 02:01 AM   #58
Cheapshooter

R51 hum, yeah I have one of them. Not aot of shooting with it yet, but probably 50 trouble free rounds so far. Another 50 or so fmj "range fodder" plus a few mags of SD hollow point, and it might fit in the SD rotation.
So far, feels good, shoots good, is accurate, and reliable.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 19, 2018, 02:14 AM   #59
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Whether you "know" .22 mag is not meant to be run in a semi auto out of a box magazine is irrelevant. The PMR 30 does it well.
Holly cow Bill. Go buy that lotto ticket. We agree again!!!!
My PMR30 has run fine with everything hut Hornady Critical Defence. Lots of fun to shoot, and 30 rounds of any 22 Magnum would be nothing a bad guy would want to encounter.
I also agree that there is nothing wrong with Kel-Tec. I also have a P32 that once it was given a proper cleaning, and lube has worked quite well.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 19, 2018, 07:52 AM   #60
Danoobie

There are so many developed, established, quality handguns out there.
Sometimes, like Kimber's K6s, which refines the old hammerless
snubnose, with rounded edges, quality sights, and a tight finish. IMO,
a design which is redone to enhance the features most attractive to that
specific purpose of SD/CC is innovative.
The Kel-Tec company, with it's lightweight 30 round PMR30 was innovative, but the
@ 5 years it took to bring readily available numbers of it to the market caused a
loss of interest.
Old January 19, 2018, 09:48 AM   #61
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299 View Post
I have made several trips to the LGS to check out new handguns, and have always been interested in new designs and features. However, my last few gun purchases have all been older model or bucket list guns. It seems that even if I go to see the newest generation polymer wonder nine, I am more likely to leave with a 1911 variant or even a revolver. I can't tell if I am just getting older and am less compelled to buy the newest design, or if this is fairly normal buying behavior. Do many of you adopt new firearm technologies immediately?
Different tech intrigues me, but I usually don't end up buying it.

Gun purchases are few and far between. I don't have the spare cash to just buy something interesting.

I (was) interested in the Remington R51 reboot. But, my XDS is right here, and works, and is smaller.

I am (somewhat) interested in the Walther CCP. But, again, my XDS covers that niche pretty well.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 19, 2018, 06:17 PM   #62
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
These days, pretty much all innovation is in materials and manufacturing.
Yeah, I think all the innovations I mentioned were either this or some kind of configuration made possible by this. It deserves credit though. I think this is an exciting time to be alive with respect to firearms technology.
Old January 19, 2018, 06:45 PM   #63
wmg1299

The responses make me feel better about hesitating to buy new designs. I would like to support innovation, but I also cannot afford to be a beta tester. Recently, I've been moving backward and buying guns that I've wanted for years. I recently picked up a S&W 642 Airweight and a North American Arms 22. The last "new" design I picked up was the Ruger 22lr Charger pistol, but that wasn't much of a risk due to the reliability of the 10-22 it was based on.
Old January 19, 2018, 07:23 PM   #64
Rembrandt

Do You Buy Innovative Handguns? YES

Have an early stainless steel Desert Eagle in 44 magnum, innovative gas operated with rotating bolt. No regrets.

Springfield Armory Omega (Peter Stahls) linkless 1911 with interchangeable barrels. 38 Super, 45 ACP, and 10mm. Would never part with it.

Boberg XR9S, First successful bullpup designed semi-auto. Fabulous engineering and machine work. Carry it daily.

Ruger Charger (take-down), just a fun all around gun to play with.

(OK, its a rifle) Knight MK85 Blackpowder rifle. First year production of a modern inline blackpowder rifle. Opened the door for all other in-line actions made today.
Old January 19, 2018, 09:56 PM   #65
Andy Blozinski

Oh dang...I was getting really excited about the Boberg XR9S (It's now Bond Arms)...until I saw the price. $1100. Ouch.
That is one exciting and innovative pistol.
Old January 20, 2018, 09:52 AM   #66
Rembrandt

$1100 is a good price, when the Bobergs first came out they were over $1300. Certainly no cheap plastic gun with a cheap price, but a well crafted machining work of art.
Old February 13, 2018, 07:22 PM   #67
jmstr

I am in california. Innovation is not legal here!

Seriously- if it isn't on our 'list' of approved firearms, we can't import it.

And, if it holds more than 10 rounds I can't have a mag that size anyway.

Thus, no new innovations since about 2008 have been approved. And the list keeps shrinking. And, any innovation that is about capacity is a moot point.

Luckily I like older stuff too. If it is over 50 years old, the C&R exemption to the list kicks in and I am ok.

Lately, my purchases have all been pre-1960 steel. CZ 24, Femaru 37, Colt OMM, Colt 3 5 7, Ballester Molina, S&W K22, etc.

Now, if I lived in a state with truly free choices, I don't know what I'd do- but I gravitate toward older designs.

to the point that I'd probably be fine with some BHP derivative, a 1911 variation, High Standard .22 semis and older [pre 60s] revolvers, IF I HAD TO.
Old February 13, 2018, 08:42 PM   #68
Danoobie

While I'm not particularly worried about not being included in the Reindeer games, I will get
a new design, from time to time. Right now I have a slew of rifles which I'm attempting
to accurize out of "prop-rod" status, with some success. OTOH, lately, I've been trying
to find accurate pairs of pistol carbine combos.

That said, I've been having a lot of success with the FN 5.7. Light, accurate, and with
serious close-range punch, I guess partly due to velocity, but also perhaps due to
the round's Spitzer shape? It works, pure and simple, IMO the gel tests for this round
are very deceptive.
Old February 14, 2018, 12:21 PM   #69
bassJAM1

My range and home defense handguns are pretty old school, Ruger and S&W revolvers and older military side arms like 1911's, CZ75's and Hi Powers.

But I guess I do tend to purchase "innovative" conceal carry guns. The caveat is I never buy them until they've been in the market for at least a year to see how they do.

First was my LCP. You could argue Kel-tec did the innovation on this one, but it was still one of the first successful micro .380's and it kicked off a buying frenzy on .380 acp ammo. Then came my P938 which I consider innovative because it's so small but shoots as well as a larger gun. Now I've got my eye on a Kimber K6 and will probably pick on up in the next year or so.
Old February 14, 2018, 01:30 PM   #70
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299 View Post
Do many of you adopt new firearm technologies immediately?
No. First, I don't have a lot of disposable income and new, innovative, etc. guns tend to cost more, often a lot more when they are first released. Second, new, innovative, etc. guns often come with design problems which I rather avoid. Third, I tend to scrutinize gun purchases as I don't want to essentially get the same thing again unless it somehow beats out what I have already.
Old February 14, 2018, 04:43 PM   #71
Reloadron

Do You Buy Innovative Handguns?

No, I buy handguns the same way I buy a truck or motorcycle, I buy what appeals to me and what I enjoy shooting or what I enjoy driving or riding. This has led in my case, over the years, to a safe stuffed with older S&W and Colt revolvers as well as a pile of Series 70 Colt 1911 guns. So while not adverse to newer innovative guns I tend to buy what I enjoy and let my brother buy the new innovative guns and then I shoot them.

Ron
Old February 15, 2018, 07:48 AM   #72
jackstrawIII

Yeah, so I have to admit definitely am drawn by "innovations" such as the Sig P365 (for example) in a quest to find the "perfect gun" for my use.

However, I'll admit that this is a character flaw, and I'm working on it. I've owned basically all the new poly 9's... and for the most part they're more similar than different. Trying to change my perspective and work my way "backwards" with my collection: going after truly unique and historic guns.
Old February 15, 2018, 08:18 AM   #73
muzzleblast...

"Do you buy innovative handguns?"

No. I buy handguns that were historically innovative, C93, P-08, 1911, BHP, P220, Model-10/19/27 etc. I don't like being a beta tester i.e. Kimber Solo, R51, P365, etc. I would like an H9 tho, maybe in a couple of years...
Old February 21, 2018, 04:55 PM   #74
In The Ten Ring

There was a Guns and Ammo magazine issue I bought back in 1998 that had a very big impact on what guns I bought. I ended up buying several guns written about in that issue. However......all but one of those has been sold now. Great ideas badly executed.

The Colt Pony. It was pretty small for its day, weather-resistant, and more powerful than a .32 Auto but mine had issues firing anything other than +P and the trigger pin would come out under recoil. The trigger pull was pretty bad.

The CZ 100. I am not a fan of Glocks and that thing seemed to be just what I wanted for my rental cop job. Customer service from CZ was so good I wrote a letter to the magazine and it was printed. However, the trigger had so much grit and the company refused to address that.

Both handguns are now discontinued but I was able to do well on resale.

The S&W air weight revolver fills my placebo along with versions of Kahr, 1911, and the Browning Hi Power. I feel completely served by those four designs. I'd like to see better retention holsters made along the lines of Safariland ALS though.
Old February 21, 2018, 06:49 PM   #75
t4terrific

I buy proven. Innovative is for the rest of you.