The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2018, 01:06 AM   #1
KyleYankee

12ga selection

I just picked up a Remington 870 express tactical for around $340 today. Got some 2-3/4" target loads and took to the woods with some buddies. This is a hell of a gun. Put about 75 shells thru 'er (they went faster than I would have liked) and it blasted through branches, pizza boxes, silhouette targets, and everything else we set up.

Anyway, whenever I'm not out engaging those darn pizza boxes, it's my new bump-in-the-night boomstick. When I got my target loads, I picked up a few 5rd boxes of federal 3" 00 magnum. (Anyone use these?)

What is your preferred 12ga home defense brand/load and why?
Old January 2, 2018, 04:18 AM   #2
bamaranger

The Remington 870 line is indeed something. I am not familiar with the "express tactical" model, and only a bit familiar with the standard 870 express sport verision, but all derive from the 870 Wingmaster, which became the gold standard in pump guns and led to the demise of the Win model 12 and the original Ithica 37.

The Wingmaster was cheaper to produce, still offered a milled steel receiver, and solid perfomance. The express versions are aimed at a price point, and have some tweaks to make them even more affordable, but are still well thought of by many. I suspect there are still more 870's riding around in patrol cars than any other shotgun.

Regards 3" shells for SD. Twelve OO buck pellets are indeed formidable, but the recoil and flash from such loads are pretty fearsome, and uneccessary. Standard 9 pellet, 2-3/4" loads have been getting it done for years, with noticeably less fuss.

There are even reduced recoil/tactical OO buck loads that have a following in some circles, and that is what is in my HD shotguns, I think they are Winchester brand.
Old January 2, 2018, 07:50 AM   #3
fourbore

You do well to practice a little with the load you plan to use for defense.

I had a Remington 870 express for exactly 48 hours before trading it back for a tidy financial loss. Piece of stuff. Anyone put a trigger pull gauge on one of these? The express is no wingmaster.
Old January 2, 2018, 08:35 AM   #4
Model12Win

I use 16 pellet 2 3/4" 12 gauge #1 buckshot in my 870 Police. Wicked load.
Old January 2, 2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Targa

I don’t use 3” shells regularly but have shot them out of my Mossberg. They will wake you up, have fun...
Old January 2, 2018, 01:17 PM   #6
bamaranger

agreed

I agree the Express is not the equal of a Wingmaster, especially an older one in good shape, but the Express is no slouch either.
Old January 2, 2018, 08:45 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

The use of 3 inch Magnum shells is rather a case of over-kill.
The increased recoil and muzzle blast will slow down follow up shots, and if there are more then one attacker, you can be too slow.
It also limits the magazine capacity.

Standard 2 3/4 inch shells are the military and police standard.
There are Magnum loads in 2 3/4 inch shells but still the increased recoil isn't worth it.
The 12 gauge shotgun is already pretty much a case of over-kill and you're not going to kill them worse with a Magnum load.

Of the buckshot loads, experts say the #1 buckshot load is the ballisticlly best load.
It puts more shot on target then the #00 load and causes more tissue damage over the area.
It penetrates better then the #4 buckshot load, and if it's winter the lighter #4 buck might not penetrate through a thick coat well enough to retain the ability to penetrate the body to the needed depth to reach vital organs.
Old January 3, 2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

I bought a bunch of the Winchester Military Grade 2 3/4" 00 Buck when Cabela's had it on sale. Works pretty good in my 18" 870.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 4, 2018, 05:31 AM   #9
Model12Win

Nothing wrong with the 3" magnums for home defense. They do have a bit more recoil, though.
Old January 4, 2018, 08:44 AM   #10
Screwball

I use PDX1... 2.75”, with a slug in front of three 00 pellets. Keeps it within a torso in the distances I’d be shooting within the house through my 870 Police.

I also load Remington Reduced Recoil 00 (again, 2.75”) in my Ithaca 37, being I rather something less for her. Also allows for four rounds in the tube. With the follower in the Ithaca, I don’t think there is an inch longer of space to do 3”... if I ever decided to.
Old January 4, 2018, 02:05 PM   #11
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleYankee View Post
What is your preferred 12ga home defense brand/load and why?
I like the 12 Gauge Federal, low recoil, 2.75 inch, flitecontrol load of 00 Buckshot for home defense. The flitecontrol wad produces very tight patterns and the 8 or 9 pellets are plated. With a hit up to 25 yards out of a 18.5 inch cylinder bore barrel, you have an excellent chance of the whole load landing on a human sized target.
Old January 4, 2018, 02:24 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

You'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your 870 shoots best just like you do a rifle. The price of it means nothing.
Wouldn't suggest 3" Mags with any shot size. Far too much felt and actual recoil. However, if you're using a 3" round anyway, use 4 Buck. 41 6mm diameter pellets. Vs 9 'OO' buck. 27 #4's in a 2.75" round.
Old January 5, 2018, 04:56 PM   #13
PlatinumCore16

I go with the 00 Federal 2 3/4in from wally world. Patterns well enough out of an 18.5in bbl even with an open choke that I would feel comfortable taking a 25yd shot. But even then, the longest shot in my apartment is appx 30-40ft, aka 10-13(ish)yds. I do have some slugs on a side saddle for anything up to 50yds, but I don't feel good enough with slugs after that to go much further. AT least not with the 18.5" bbl, and I'm not telling the guy to hang in there whilst I change out the bbl...
Old January 5, 2018, 11:32 PM   #14
lefteye

The best home defense load has been addressed previously. Research indicates a 12 ga. 2 3/4" load of #1 buckshot is the best choice. It will stop an attacker and it is much less likely to penetrate through a wall and harm a family member than larger buckshot.