The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 20, 2018, 12:19 PM   #1
KLCane

Question on buying ammo

I am new to the board, so I apologize in advance if this question has been previously raised.

I have only been shooting for a few months, so I am still finding my way around. I am looking for a good, consistent place to get ammo for my handguns. I have been purchasing it from either Dick's Sporting Goods or the range where I shoot, but I have to imagine there is a less expensive and more consistent way to get it. Perhaps online.

I look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks!
Old February 20, 2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Targa

Online is the best way to go imo, the Lion’s share of my ammo is purchased from Sportsmans Guide . Ammoseek is a great app to download to help with buying ammo.
Old February 20, 2018, 12:24 PM   #3
FITASC

Target Sports USA, when you buy in bulk buy the case has free shipping and a lot of choices.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 20, 2018, 12:24 PM   #4
bassJAM1

Online is the best. If you can afford to buy in increments of 1000 or more rounds, you'll save even more and often won't pay for shipping.
Old February 20, 2018, 12:41 PM   #5
Rangerrich99

Gunbot.
Old February 20, 2018, 12:45 PM   #6
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLCane View Post
I am new to the board, so I apologize in advance if this question has been previously raised.

I have only been shooting for a few months, so I am still finding my way around. I am looking for a good, consistent place to get ammo for my handguns. I have been purchasing it from either Dick's Sporting Goods or the range where I shoot, but I have to imagine there is a less expensive and more consistent way to get it. Perhaps online.

I look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks!
I've had a lot of great experiences with SGAmmo but you should take a look at various online sites to determine what suits your needs the best
Old February 20, 2018, 03:18 PM   #7
NWPilgrim

Second on SGAmmo, and will add Ammomen llc. Several ammo deal search engines such the ones mentioned and ammoengine.
Old February 20, 2018, 03:38 PM   #8
SonOfScubaDiver

Google bulkammo.

The thing you need to know is that you are stuck with whatever ammo you buy, so it might be a good idea for you try out a few different brands of ammo to find one that you like before you place an order for 500 rounds or more. I learned this lesson the hard way with 2000 rounds of 380 ammo I bought online.

Also, there are several retailers that sell ammo other than Dick's. Walmart, Academy Sports, Rural King are three that come to mind.
Old February 20, 2018, 04:18 PM   #9
DaleA

Quote:
you are stuck with whatever ammo you buy, so it might be a good idea for you try out a few different brands of ammo to find one that you like before you place an order for 500 rounds or more.
Very good advice!
Good luck.
Old February 20, 2018, 08:31 PM   #10
bn12gg

Walmart for .22, .38 spl, 7.62x39, .32 acp, 9mm, .45 acp as well as 12g shotgun shells for trap IMO. I buy specialty stuff like black powder and ball ammo at my LGS. But, on a consistent basis it is tough to beat Walmart ammo pricing. Oh , from time to time a gun show might have a good buy.

.02. David.
Old February 20, 2018, 08:51 PM   #11
Danoobie

Ammoman ships free, you can usually order single boxes of their bulk
ammo, to try it.
Old February 20, 2018, 09:48 PM   #12
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post
Ammoman ships free, you can usually order single boxes of their bulk
ammo, to try it.
True enough... I've bought lots from Ammoman.com. Still, I've found more than several sites -- SGAmmo is one -- where price per round was still cheaper with shipping than Ammoman, depending on the caliber. ALWAYS factor shipping cost before clicking "purchase."

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old February 20, 2018, 09:50 PM   #13
Mackie244Bud

You just missed a big rebate on Federal American Eagle..25% off per box..
I would buy a 1000 (20 boxes) of 9mm 124G FMJ @$199.00 and with rebate actually pay $150.00 and free shipping.
I bought 3000 rounds but that is history..moral of the story is to look for deals.
Check the Gun Forums because we usually try and alert everyone when someone finds a great deal!

Also look for FREE Shipping, that's why when your ready to buy you have to check the sites to see who is offering it.
They don't always.
Then work the numbers..If you can't find free shipping then is the ammo price low enough for you to pay shipping? etc.
When I did pay shipping on a Bulk 1000 round box it was $18.00 to $20.00
at $10.00 a box for 50 9mm that could be 100 rounds.

my purchases have been at:

http://www.outdoorlimited.com/

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/

At the range I shoot Blazer Brass, Federal American Eagle, Remington all in 9mm 124g FMJ

Defensive I use: Speer Gold Dot LE Duty 9mm Luger Ammo 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
Though I'm always looking for good defensive ammo.
At Christmas I was given a box of Hornady Critical Defense FTX 115g, it gets good reviews.
That's what's in my Shield and Sig P320 now.

Welcome to the Forum and your new venture in handguns and defending yourself and others.
Be smart and responsible, learn the law where you live.
Hopefully you have someone to mentor you and show you the way.
If not don't be afraid to get some professional training / classes.

Mackie144 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; February 20, 2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old February 20, 2018, 09:51 PM   #14
Jackpro555

Nice to have a chat with you here. Though you have some experience but I don't have anything. I would like to know more and want to buy a new one. Thanks!
Old February 20, 2018, 10:07 PM   #15
TXAZ

ammoseek.com is a search engine that checks constantly and tells you the best price on the ammo of your choice.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 20, 2018, 10:07 PM   #16
ammo.crafter

ammo sales

Hard to beat Walmart for every day, off the shelf prices.

All of the above mentioned internet outlets are great, especially when they offer free shipping!
Old February 20, 2018, 10:12 PM   #17
FITASC

^^^^ True, especially for Federal 9mm 115 gr ammo. $9 for aluminum and $10 for brass (or less, depending on location)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 20, 2018, 10:13 PM   #18
Onward Allusion

Midwayusa.com

Just gotta wait for the "free shipping on orders over $99" days. Happens once a month.
Old February 20, 2018, 11:09 PM   #19
lamarw

Give some thought to reloading. Especially if you are of a younger age group. Over the years of shooting ahead, you will always have ammunition at the lowest price. I have been reloading for almost 45 years and reload for 3 shotgun gauges, 7 rifle calibers and 10 handgun calibers. The only thing I do not reload for in my firearms inventory is rimfire.
Old February 21, 2018, 12:43 AM   #20
GarandTd

Depends on the caliber. For 9mm, Walmart is hard to beat. For 380, I could get it cheaper at Rural King. 22lr wherever it's on sale. I've gotten 500 round bricks of CCI blazer 22lr for $25 at a couple places recently. Online will be cheaper, but just like at stores, you need to shop around. And, consider shipping costs.
Old February 21, 2018, 12:58 AM   #21
jimbob86

Learn to roll your own ...... buy components in bulk ....you won't save any money, but you'll shoot a lot more and learn much in the process!
Old February 21, 2018, 11:31 AM   #22
bassJAM1

Quote:
Hard to beat Walmart for every day, off the shelf prices.

All of the above mentioned internet outlets are great, especially when they offer free shipping!
Of course after you wait for a Walmart associate to show up and open the ammo cabinet, it's probably faster to just order online!
Old February 21, 2018, 02:09 PM   #23
Fishbed77

Quote:
Walmart for .22, .38 spl, 7.62x39, .32 acp, 9mm, .45 acp as well as 12g shotgun shells for trap IMO.
Wal-marts here are extremely poorly-stocked. If you have to go to a big box store (are unwilling or unable to shop for ammo online) Academy is a good source.
Old February 21, 2018, 03:11 PM   #24
bassJAM1

Quote:
Wal-marts here are extremely poorly-stocked. If you have to go to a big box store (are unwilling or unable to shop for ammo online) Academy is a good source.
There isn't an Academy around me, but I like ordering from them when I need smaller quantities. They have a pretty low threshold for free shipping ($25), have a decent selection and I don't pay sales tax since there aren't any stores in my state.
Old February 21, 2018, 03:20 PM   #25
NWPilgrim

Above sources are all great. I have not found any place that has the best prices AND availability all the time. If you want that, then you have to shop around. If you want just assured availability, then you need to accept generally higher prices.

Midway, Cabelas, Natchez, Mid-South, Wideners, PowderValley, Grafs are also sites I check.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison