The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2018, 10:28 AM   #1
stonewall50

PGO: Is it actually possible?

So a friend has a .410 PGO shotgun that we were playing around with the other day. I noticed that hitting a man sized target at 15 yards or less was really easy. No misses other than hip fire. And I have to start wondering...is it actually possible that the PGO is viable in a tight location? Because it was a light caliber...it was easy to use. This friend was given this gun and it is all he has...but it really made me wonder how proficient and effective one could become with this...if it were the only option.

I still prefer my stock. But what do y’all think? How effective do you think it could be in a close in setting? Home defense only distances I guess (sight on it would probably help...rather than just a single tru glow bead)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 16, 2018, 07:44 PM   #2
Kvon2

1000x yes.

You'll get a lot of different opinions on this but I think a PGO specifically in .410 is an excellent HD option.

There are a lot of quality .410 "handgun" loads. When you give them the added velocity of a longer barrel you have something that would give a bad guy a very bad day.

Are there potentially better options? Sure. Would I be concerned if it was all I had? Nope.
Old January 16, 2018, 10:03 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

A 12ga #1 load has an effect similar to dumping a full magazine out of a 32 ACP VZ 61 Scorpion into a fist size area.

The .410 does not approach that effect. Usually 3-5 pellets.

Not that it isn't going to do the job, but at that point it seems to me carrying a glock pistol with 20 rounds of deeper penetrating ammo makes more sense.

I used to be as big a fan of the shotgun for HD as anyone, but I no longer think it is all that great in the role if choosing a dedicated gun with other firearms or budget to allow them.
Old January 16, 2018, 10:45 PM   #4
Sharkbite

PGO shotties have a very small niche. Inside that niche they work fine. Outside of that niche they are horrible.

That niche is defined as SHORT range (inside 7yds or so). So for most HD needs they can be made to work fine.

I would not use a .410 for anything serious. Just too light on payload (3-5 pellets in common buckshot size. A low recoil 12ga buckshot would be a much better choice.

Im more of a urban rifle guy, but i do have a 14” 12ga available if it comes to that. Mine is one of the Mossburg shockwave guns. With a good light on it, i think it beats a handgun for indoor use
Old January 17, 2018, 09:53 AM   #5
dahermit

"PGO"?
Never mind...I searched and found that it means "Pistol Grip Only" for those others here that are not tuned into the latest craze in toys.