The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 2, 2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Trapp

Bolt action Mossberg

I am thinking about trading my "sporterized" Lee Enfield for an old (40-50's era) Mossberg bolt action 20guage, or an old Stevens single shot 16 guage (side lever opener).

Anyone have any expierance with either one? The bolt action would be kinda novel to have in the collection....
Old May 4, 2006, 03:59 AM   #2
BoltWorks

I have a Mossberg bolt 16 gauge, with 2 round detatchable mag. A definite cool shotgun; the first I hunted with. I recommend adding it to your collection.
Old May 10, 2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Captain Bligh

My first shotgun was a Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge. My recollection is that the model was 185K. I enjoyed that gun a lot. It had a bad safety, though.

If you pulled the trigger, took your finger off the trigger, and then released the thumb safety, the gun would fire. It afforded me the only negligent discharge I've ever had in my life and scared me.
Old May 10, 2006, 07:59 PM   #4
prime8

Yup

183t is my model#. Its a .410, and I will never part with it. It was my grandfathers, and I inherited her. Was the first gun I ever shot, or hunted with. Get the bolt.