The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 30, 2006, 02:16 PM   #1
lalo56

Accessories for the Remington

I am new and just got my Shotgun for hunting quail, and waterfowl. I was wondering what accessories would you recommend me get for the Remington 870 Express synthetic 12/26.
Old April 30, 2006, 08:23 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A sling.

Ammo.

That's all you need....
Old April 30, 2006, 08:31 PM   #3
lalo56

does the Shotgun come with a case? I bought it new from a dealer. what ammo is recommended for quail?
Old May 1, 2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Light field loads with 7 1/2 or 8 shot work well on quail when properly directed.

Same for dove, woodcock,rail and similar smallish birds. Qiail usualy need an open choke like Cylinder IC or Skeet.

HTH....
Old May 4, 2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Guyon

I'd probably put an old-style safety (and old-style safety spring & detent ball) on it.

If you're hunting, you'll need some sling swivels and a sling. I'm assuming here it already has sling studs.

If not, you'll have to install them, which is easier on a wooden stock than a synthetic. Uncle Mike's makes a kit which includes the mag cap with stud and a rear stud that screws in. However, it's tough to get that rear stock drilled just right on a synthetic. If your gun doesn't have sling studs and you really want them, it might be easier to just change out the rear stock on a synthetic gun. Another option is a sling that loops around the barrel on the front and the stock on the back. Never cared much for this option myself, however.

Shotguns don't generally come with a case unless (a) you run up on a promotional, or (b) you're buying a more expensive shotgun. I did once get a nice aluminum hard case with a Remington 870, but that was a promotional that Academy was running several years ago. For a hunting gun, just a decent soft case with a zipper will suffice. Lots easier to tuck the gun behind a truck seat, in a tool box, etc. with a soft case.

+1 on Dave McC's recommended loads and chokes.
Old May 4, 2006, 09:13 PM   #6
Guyon

lalo56, I forgot to add: Welcome to TFL!

Between TFL and its spin-off site, TheHighRoad.org, you can find an abundance of shotgunning info with the Search function. Dave McC and some others on these two boards have forgotten more about shotguns than I'll probably ever learn.

Good hunting to you.
Old May 5, 2006, 02:03 AM   #7
lalo56

Thank your Sir,

I have met a guy who owns and shoots alot of guns and he is willing to teach me. I appreciate all the information and i am open minded and taking it all as well as doing my own research. Getting some of the questions asked for hunting license and so on.

I will post the pictures on Tuesday when i get my Gun. That week i will go shoot it as well. Im anxious.