The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 5, 2005, 10:22 AM   #1
VaughnT

A possibles bag for the modern battle rifle?

Is this a good idea? Does someone already make such an animal?

I was, at one time, a huge fan of the blackpowder scene and when I saw Killer Gears "Go Bag" for the AR shooter, it made me think.

Does anyone make a three-mag shingle with a dump pouch on the back face? I'm envisioning something that you can throw over your shoulder and have everything you need for an active-shooter scenario, but which is better organized than the KG bag seems to be.

With the plethora of products out there, you would think something like this would be easy to find. Unfortunately, the only products I'm seeing are vests and such that are more for the mall-ninja or SF community.

What are your thoughts?
Old April 5, 2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Edward429451

I do believe you're describing a bug out bag. Ammo, mags, gunparts, food, 1st aid, water, and misc possibles. I have a vest and a sports bag both.

No idea on the dump pouch mag carrier you describe.

Even though I have a vest brim full of mags & ammo etc. I'm not a mall ninja and I don't even wear it to the range. I probably should to get used to reloading from it. Just something to grab & toss on if the situation goes downhill and warrants it. Beats a pillowcase slung over the shoulder.
Old April 5, 2005, 11:28 AM   #3
VaughnT

Ed, the Go bag is different from the BOB in that it is for carrying only what you need for your rifle. In the blackpowder days, the possibles bag, or rifle pouch, contained the gear you needed to shoot the gun and do basic maintenance. If you were awakened in the middle of the night by a horde of screaming indians, all you had to do was grab your rifle and bag, and make for the shadows. Most possibles/rifle bags had flints/caps, knife, patches, ball and powder, mainspring vise, etc and would be able to keep you operational until you could make it to the nearest settlement for a resupply.

In the case of the modern shooter that is not a member of the high-speed/low drag community, I envision something that could hold three rifle magazines, maybe some pistol mags, a cleaning rod (for clearing the bbl) a light, knife, and which has a large utility pouch on the back face of the mag shingle so you can stow your empty magazines instead of just dropping them on the ground.

My thinking is that I now have a carbine but no way to carry the requisite gear for it without resorting to a vest like the 5.11 FBI thing. This isn't a bad idea, but I like the idea of having a simple bag just as well.
Old April 5, 2005, 01:22 PM   #4
Edward429451

I get ya. Maybe just a belt pouch thing like a gasmask pouch or something like that.
Old April 5, 2005, 01:31 PM   #5
jonathon

I made a general purpose possibles bag.... Resembles a pattern after a mountain man one a friend has but yeah. Works great, though I only have 1 mag fed gun so, I just have pouches inside for various loose ammo and other goodies(namely a first aid kit, basic punch and driver set, and basic cleaning stuff[hoppes, light lube, rod, brushes, patches, and patch puller]).

Its nice, since if I go to a friends place(I've never been to a real range ), I just through it in my back pack and I am off.
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 6, 2005, 09:32 AM   #6
hso

http://www.leapers.com/pages/tactical%20armor/utg.htm makes a cheap 3 mag pocket "chest carrier' with a map pocket on the back. Each pocket has space for 3 AR or 2 FAL/HK/M14 mags so you could use one or two pockets for mags and the others for cleaning kit, flashlight, glasses or whatever you could fit into ziplocks or stuff sacks and stick in the pockets.
Old April 7, 2005, 02:37 PM   #7
garrettwc

Something to consider putting in the bag is batteries.

If you have a weapon mounted light, or battery powered red-dot, spare batteries in the go bag might come in handy.
Old April 7, 2005, 07:01 PM   #8
VaughnT

hso, that leapers chest rig is almost perfect. I'd have to see how big the rear pocket is to see if it can be used as a dump pouch, but that and a shoulder strap would probably do the deal.

Still searching....