The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2023, 08:59 PM   #1
It'sMe

Uncocking Bryco Model 38?

Does anyone know the proper way to uncock a model 38?

I bought my Bryco a couple weeks ago, but can't figure out how to uncock it without dry firing. The manual states right off the bat to not dry fire it. The manual also says, "The pistol must be in unloaded, uncocked condition before take down can be performed." So I'm guessing I shouldn't let a snap cap in it.

I must admit that I've dry fired each time I've taken it apart, because I can't figure out any other way.

I've tried pulling the slide back and holding the trigger in as I bring the slide back into position. However, there seems to be a lever that disengages the trigger when the slide is back.

Is there something very simple that I'm missing?
Old March 21, 2023, 12:28 AM   #2
7.62 man

If you are just wanting to uncock it use a snap cap.
If you are wanting to disassemble it watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BDh8EJevT8
Old March 21, 2023, 08:37 AM   #3
Jim Watson

If you worry about it, you could stick a dowel down the barrel to cushion the striker fall without leaving a snap cap in the chamber.
I wouldn't worry about it, I would not be taking it apart very often.
Old March 21, 2023, 07:10 PM   #4
It'sMe

"If you are just wanting to uncock it use a snap cap.
If you are wanting to disassemble it watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BDh8EJevT8"

I have thought about buying snap caps, but I'm assuming there is another way to "uncock" the pistol.
I do know how to disassemble the gun(I've done it a few times already and it's very simple), but I watched the beginning of the video and maybe I should look at manuals for the newer models to see what they say. I have what I'm guessing is an earlier model as my slide is imprinted with Jennings Firearms on one side and 'Bryco 38' on the other. It also has a serial number in the hundreds of thousands. I've read that millions of these pistols have been made. I did notice that in the video he didn't release the tension on the firing pin spring before breakdown.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the manual means by "uncocked"...
Old March 21, 2023, 07:40 PM   #5
It'sMe

How do I reply directly to a post? Sorry, it's been over 20 years since I've been on a message board...

Anyways... to Mr. Watson, a dowel rod is a good idea. I still feel there is another way because the manual mentions uncocking the pistol. However, maybe I am misunderstanding the meaning of this.

I generally don't like to dry fire my guns except for my 709 in which dry firing is a part of the disassembly. I actually refuse to show my uncle any of my guns because he likes to dry fire them, without asking first, because...in his words "I like to feel the trigger pull."

I tend to disassemble my guns for cleaning at least once a year or after shooting them several times and I shoot often when the weather is nice, as I have a private range. I've already had my model 38 apart a few times because I've been shooting it a little bit every day since I bought it. It was working good for the first 50 rounds. Then I had one light primer strike in the next 50 and about 10 after those 50 I had another light strike, then 2 shots later a malfunction where the firing pin spring bent. I thought maybe this happened because I dry fired it a few times, but I also thought the spring looked a little odd on one end the first time I disassembled the pistol. I'm waiting on a new spring now so it's currently disassembled. There were some other minor issues, so I've also done some filing, sanding and polishing on the pistol.

I'm just curious about the proper way to uncock this pistol so I don't mess up the new spring...