The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 16, 2022, 04:58 PM   #1
fauxpa46

Springfield vs S & W .45 ACP

Anyone have experience with BOTH the XD-S Mod 2 .45 acp 3.3” as well as the S&W Shield .45? If so, please list your personal pros and cons of each as a comparison. Thank you.
Old January 7, 2023, 11:04 AM   #2
Adventurer 2

I once owned a Springfield XD-S 45 w 4” barrel - I know this isn’t the pistol you are asking about but it is an earlier version of what you are asking about. I loved everything about the Springfield except it shot very low from point of aim. I seem to have this issue w fiber optic sighted pistols - that was a sell it issue for me. I replaced it with a Shield 45 - this shot point of aim, more grip to hold onto, and an extra round - liked the S&W Shield 45 better.
Old January 9, 2023, 01:25 AM   #3
amprecon

I know your asking for experience with both, but I'm hoping this may help. I have the S&W Performance Center Shield M&P45 M2.0 with 4" barrel. I can say it probably has the best trigger I have ever tried on a polymer gun and it's really accurate.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old January 10, 2023, 10:40 AM   #4
Siggy-06

I’ve shot both. Reliability was the same, but the shield was more easier/comfortable to shoot. I like the original XDS over the mod 2 personally.
Old January 11, 2023, 09:06 AM   #5
JustJake

A little-used S&W 645 beats 'em both.
Old January 11, 2023, 04:36 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake
A little-used S&W 645 beats 'em both.
Other than being a completely different platform, all metal instead of polymer, produced barely over 3 years, not as readily available replacement parts, less than average accuracy, bulkier, heavier, and the O.P. specifically stated the differences between the XD(s) Mod 2 and the Shield and no other firearms, the 645 might "beat them both" in whatever parameters you're imagining.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 11, 2023, 05:39 PM   #7
fauxpa46

Thank you, gentlemen. I believe the Shield is hard to beat. (Really disappointed I let mine go; DUH!)
Old February 2, 2023, 08:49 AM   #8
claydoctor

I have the Shield in all three calibers and am a big fan. I was amazed, when I first shot the 9mm as to how little perceived recoil there was. I was even more amazed, the first time I shot the 45. It's as though they had re-written the laws of physics.
Old February 2, 2023, 09:51 AM   #9
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxpa46 View Post
Anyone have experience with BOTH the XD-S Mod 2 .45 acp 3.3” as well as the S&W Shield .45? If so, please list your personal pros and cons of each as a comparison. Thank you.
I've owned both the Shield 45 and Mod2 XD45 3.3 Subcompact (9 round). I've also shot 4-5 XDs 45s, though I can't recall if any of those were Mod 2.

None of them were what I'd call hard kickers, but I've shot hat-fulls of 44 mag & heavy 45 Colt through 4-5 inch revolvers. I can tell you I prefer the Shield to everything mentioned, and the subcompact 45 Glocks. The Shield provides a nice, flat carry profile with just enough grip to accommodate a grown man's hands.

It is also more accurate than it has any right to be, for its size. Five USA 230 FMJ at 50 yards, standing unsupported.

Old February 2, 2023, 04:49 PM   #10
JustJake

Nice hits on that steel but my most-awesome S&W 645 can shoot equal to that, or inside that, all day.
Old February 3, 2023, 01:30 AM   #11
Jimboishere

Didn't have this specific XD, but in general over my time shooting I've always gravitated towards the Shield. Just feels much more comfortable to shoot
Old February 3, 2023, 12:20 PM   #12
44caliberkid

I really like my Shield 9mm, it is one of two pistols I use for EDC. Do the 45’s have the same thumb buster magazine loading that the 9’s do?