The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 26, 2022, 11:35 AM   #1
oldbear1950

how did ya'll get into cowboy shooting

We have no active group in this area, so how do you get into cowboy shooting?
Old July 26, 2022, 04:15 PM   #2
Hawg

You will have to find a club. Go to a match and talk to people. They will be glad to help you out. After the match there will most likely be a few that will let you shoot their guns. It gets expensive especially if you have to travel very far to get to a match.
Old July 26, 2022, 04:37 PM   #3
Crunchy Frog

Your profile says you are in Alabama. I will paste a link to Alabama clubs from the SASS Affiliated Clubs listing. If you get an error message click through it.

https://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Alabama

Check the listings in neighboring states as well.

There are some clubs that are not currently SASS affiliated. If there is no affiliated club near you, reach out to a club contact and ask. They may know of other clubs.

The gun club I belong to has a SASS chapter. I reached out to the match director to ask about the sport and he encouraged me to attend a local match. “Don’t buy anything” was his advice. I brought ammo and shot the match with borrowed gear. I was hooked. That was 12 years ago.
Old July 27, 2022, 07:48 AM   #4
MarkCO

Great advice from Crunchy Frog.

The local club here does an open house type of thing once a year. They all take their guns, props, clothes, etc. and display them. They have shooting clinics and they are a wealth of knowledge. Finding something like that would definitely be worth a half days drive to a club who did that. I took advantage of that, borrowed some stuff and shot a match. Was not for me, but it was an inviting group of folks. I might take up Wild Bunch at some point down the road.
Old August 2, 2022, 11:20 PM   #5
Jbar4Ranch

With the number of clubs in Alabama, it can't be more than a hundred miles to at least ONE of them. I regularly drive 95 miles to one and about 120 to another, both of which shoot two CAS matches and a Wild Bunch/CAS match once a month, shooter's choice - the CAS guys and Wild Bunch guys don't shoot against each other. A third one shoots once a month at a range about 65 miles away. The closest one to me was about 40 miles away, but shut down this year due to lack of attendance - they were down to shooting only two to four matches a year, and only 4 stages per match at small targets set farther out than normal, with one stage set up as "Cowboy Combat" - kind of a cross between 3 Gun and CAS with barriers, shooting ports, downrange and lateral movement, no stage fronts, and a lot of political infighting between the shooting disciplines that shared the range. Not many of us old farts who can get down on our knees and back up again trying to shoot through a port three feet off the ground.

TFJ

SASS 47015
Old August 24, 2022, 09:51 AM   #6
Driftwood Johnson

Once you find a club, attend a few matches and ask questions.

Do not buy any equipment until you have a feel for how the game works.

Cowboy Action shooters are very outgoing and many will gladly let you fire a few rounds out of their guns. Be sure to take this opportunity if presented, so you have a little bit of actual experience with the firearms before plunking down any money on the counter.
Old November 2, 2022, 10:54 PM   #7
Deja vu

I was going to start a similar thread but found this one. I have reached out to the local club over email but I haven’t heard any thing. Granted it was just a few days ago but it seems like fun and I’m getting antsy waiting for a response.

I did mention that I dont have the guns yet but I’d be happy to bring some factory ammo (or reloads). I’m not specifically looking to shoot but I wanted to bring the ammo if the opportunity presents it’s self.

Basically I don’t want to annoy them, would it be better to just show up to a match?

Would you recommend registering with SASS and getting a name first?

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 2, 2022, 11:29 PM   #8
Jbar4Ranch

Show up, tell 'em you're interested, walk along, watch, ask questions - I'll be surprised if they don't offer you the opportunity to shoot a stage or two.

SASS 47015
Old November 3, 2022, 12:59 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja vu View Post
Basically I don’t want to annoy them, would it be better to just show up to a match?

Would you recommend registering with SASS and getting a name first?
Just show up. I wouldn't join SASS until you find out if it's something you're going to want to do. I don't know what the fee is now but it was 50.00 about 15 years ago and you have to pick a name nobody else has.
Old November 3, 2022, 07:59 AM   #10
Deja vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Just show up. I wouldn't join SASS until you find out if it's something you're going to want to do. I don't know what the fee is now but it was 50.00 about 15 years ago and you have to pick a name nobody else has.
It’s $80 now

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 3, 2022, 01:08 PM   #11
Oliver Sudden

Picking a name is fun and I didn’t pick one till after my first match, I now use three different names depending on where I’m at. None are registered and I didn’t join any organization. It’s just for fun and I like to play cowboy
Old November 4, 2022, 01:01 AM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja vu View Post
It’s $80 now
How high are the badge numbers now?

Old November 22, 2022, 07:31 AM   #13
Deja vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
How high are the badge numbers now?

That I don’t know.

Old December 14, 2022, 05:51 PM   #14
sawdustdad

I'm 101497 and I joined Nov 2014. I've seen shooters at matches with numbers over 110,000.
Old December 19, 2022, 09:03 AM   #15
bladesmith 1

The OP didn't post where he lives, so it would be hard to help him. And he never came back for a second post.