The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2021, 10:59 AM   #1
jaughtman

More P7 Info

So, our discussion on the P7 last week got me thinking, since there is all kinds of thoughts and theories on why the slides on some P7's turn the plum/purplish color. I reached out to HK customer service (no idea on why I did not do this years ago) and they confirmed that it is NOT a refinish, but simply the result of the finish and the metal reacting to each other - not a new finish. So, HK states that the slides on those simply change color over time. This might be old knowledge to most of you long-term P7 fans, but thought I would add the official line from HK if you had not heard it.

Jaughtman
Old November 23, 2021, 11:09 AM   #2
FITASC

I had heard it was a reaction between the slide and the bluing process, possibly involving heat treatment. One of mine has a plum slide, the other does not
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 23, 2021, 11:22 AM   #3
jaughtman

Quote:
I had heard it was a reaction between the slide and the bluing process, possibly involving heat treatment. One of mine has a plum slide, the other does not
Correct. That is basically what HK customer support told me.
Old November 23, 2021, 11:23 AM   #4
Rob228

Interesting. The issued FN M16A4's upper and lower receivers turn purple with age as well.
Old November 23, 2021, 11:31 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Different phenomenon, P7 is Funny German Steel, M16 is aluminum.

I had a gun come out of bluing with a purple cast. It was changing to a bronze color with age. At the time I thought it looked odd and had it reblued but now I wish I had left it.
Old November 23, 2021, 11:39 AM   #6
jaughtman

Quote:
I had a gun come out of bluing with a purple cast. It was changing to a bronze color with age. At the time I thought it looked odd and had it reblued but now I wish I had left it.

Yes, I had contemplated getting my first P7 (years back, when I was a newbie to the things) reblued due to the plum slide. Now I am thankful I left it as-is.
Old November 23, 2021, 11:43 AM   #7
Lavan

I don't think I could learn to shoot one of those.
I hold rather lightly and ...well....
Old November 23, 2021, 12:07 PM   #8
Jim Watson

It does not take a hard hold once you have it cocked, my arthritic Mother could squeeze and hold it.

My main complaint was that it took me a while to establish the reflexive squeeze on the presentation. Then if I shot a conventional gun, it went away and I had to regain it. Acceptable if I meant to shoot P7 exclusively, but a large pain in "rotation."
Old November 23, 2021, 03:36 PM   #9
gonzogeezer

Plum finish is quite common on Makarovs as well.
Old November 23, 2021, 03:48 PM   #10
gc70

It always seemed the biggest proponents of the plum coloring being evidence of refinishing were people who owned P7s without plum slides; they were smug about their guns being "original" and presumably more valuable.

When I had a P7 with a plum slide, I also had a P239 with a beautifully bright plum hammer that was obviously a piece that would not have been refinished.
Old November 23, 2021, 04:38 PM   #11
rock185

I would have no argument at all with what HK told you. Consistent with my humble experience; sometimes happens during the bluing process. Not necessarily an indication of a reblue. My particular HKP7M8, purchased new in the '80s and unrefinished, has not turned plum. If it does, it will not bother me in the least. I've owned and/or seen Rugers, Colts, SIGs, HKs, etc. plum or going plum. I have a German SIG P210, purchased new a few years ago, that looks to me like the frame is starting to turn plum. Previously had a Swiss 210 that turned plum. Did I mention pistols turning plum don't bother me in the least
Old November 23, 2021, 05:00 PM   #12
DaleA

A guy (or gal) can sure learn a lot and have some fun on this site. Thanks jaughtman.
Old November 23, 2021, 05:03 PM   #13
Chui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Different phenomenon, P7 is Funny German Steel, M16 is aluminum.

French Steel not German. It’s in one of the P7 Armorer’s Manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 23, 2021, 05:04 PM   #14
Chui

I believe the purplish hue is due to the Boron in the alloy reacting to the heat treat and coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 23, 2021, 05:59 PM   #15
Jim Watson

OK, French.
I have a Verney Carron shotgun of Acier Cockeril.
But I did not know HK was in cahoots with the French.