The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old October 29, 2018, 07:11 PM   #26
Fox84

The triggers are drop in, factory adjusted, untouched and oil free.

I will be shooting tomorrow. I have shot both rifles off a rest and rear bag without issues . I'am almost sure no bipod will stop the bump fire.

The suggested bipod causing the bumpfire made me think a bit.

I'll post up tomorrow.
Old October 29, 2018, 11:34 PM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
No, not legally. I understand what you are saying, but any firearm that discharges more than one round per trigger pull is "automatic", so two rounds or twenty makes no difference.
I respectfully disagree. In the OP's case he has purchased a gun/fire control group which is intentionally engineered to function as a semi-automatic--meaning that any firing can happen only if the trigger and hammer fully travel and reset in order for each firing to occur. There might be several reasons for a malfunction to occur and the shooter might get more than one discharge upon pulling the trigger; but I don't believe that makes the shooter "illegal" unless he or she intentionally uses the gun in a "failure mode" or otherwise modifies it to induce the failure. If that were not true, and hypothetically ANY semi-auto can be induced to fire more than one cartridge with each trigger pull, then logically ALL semi-auto's would have to be considered "potential" full-auto weapons and subject to NFA licensing IMO.

In the OP's case, in my opinion his application of the trigger use by using a bipod and (I assume) a shoulder weld of some sort with the buttstock constitutes a high-probability use-application of the gun and fire-control group. "Bad technique" not withstanding, the purchaser I think has a right to have a reasonable expectation for the fire control group to work as advertised within a reasonable range of "normal use" conditions.

I'm amazed at how often parts are out of "compliance" or don't fit together properly in the wild world of home-builds, +/- tolerance stacking of a few thousandths of an inch between parts can add up to a problem/malfunction. pretty easily. Functioning of things like the safety selector, sear timing and disconnector timing can change easily with minute changes in settings.

If the OP is shooting on a table with the bipod and the gun "jumps into the air" upon recoil and he's hanging on by the trigger then there might be something going on in that dynamic. Rather than disassembly of the fire control group to test in multiple uppers--I would shoot the gun using just front and rear bags with the the buttpad properly positioned against the shoulder. If the gun still does a multi-firing for each pull of the trigger I'd say yank the timney.

Last edited by stagpanther; October 29, 2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old October 30, 2018, 12:10 AM   #28
Scorch

stagpanther, I am fully aware of the type of trigger installed (I install triggers like this routinely), but the post was in response to his saying that two or three shots was not "full auto". The law is pretty clear on that, anything more than one is automatic fire. However, as others have suggested, I would bet he is bump-firing the rifle.
Old October 30, 2018, 06:54 AM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
stagpanther, I am fully aware of the type of trigger installed (I install triggers like this routinely), but the post was in response to his saying that two or three shots was not "full auto". The law is pretty clear on that, anything more than one is automatic fire. However, as others have suggested, I would bet he is bump-firing the rifle.
The OP didn't say a few shots accidentally tripped off were not "automatically" illegal--I did. My point being that that I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he operated the trigger as intended within compliance of the law, simply that the multiple discharges were not the result of holding the trigger continuously depressed --and that Timney does not purposefully engineer their triggers to go fully automatic by enabling a trigger reset or hammer drop in response to minimal movement of the gun. I think he could "transition" into illegal use if he does not take corrective action to "cure" the problem--in other words decides "hey, this automatic function is pretty cool, I think I'll keep using it that way."

Like most people commenting here--I think some kind of free-recoil bumpfire unintentionally experienced by the OP is the most likely explanation.

More to the point--the OP has a malfunctioning fire control group under his use. It may be because of the operator's misuse, parts incompatibility etc.--perhaps most likely--BUT this could be potentially dangerous should some other malfunction occur besides simply a few shots tripping off with one pull of the trigger while aiming at a target. I'm not automatically discounting the possibility there might be something with the trigger set-up contributing to the problem; it's important to get to the cause of the problem in a fairly conclusive way IMO.

Last edited by stagpanther; October 30, 2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old October 30, 2018, 10:21 AM   #30
Erno86

I'll never forget the time when I accidentally double bump fired a fellow shooter's, light triggered M1A off a pedestal rest on a bench --- whew --- I learned fast on that one.

--- George Orwell
Old October 30, 2018, 04:25 PM   #31
Fox84

Shooting off a Caldwell Front rest and rear bag solved the issues. Got out to 800 yds on the Creedmoor and not as well with the Grendel.

I'am ready to get back to the bolt actions with 25X scopes and known recipes
Old October 30, 2018, 09:05 PM   #32
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Problem solved!
Closed Thread