The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 12, 2015, 09:57 PM   #1
blabablab

Opinion on suppressing SKS

Hello,
I purchased a kestrel AK suppressor(specific suppressor for AK which is severely over-bored, and short to accommodate the variances in the threading on the AK's.). The default thread on this is 14 x 1 LH. I want to use this on my SKS, which is 14 x 1 RH, so my question is, what is everyone's opinion on getting a 14 x 1 RH to 14 x 1 LH adapter from CNC warrior, rockset it to the barrel, then thread on this suppressor? Do you think this would work without any issues. Thanks!
Old September 12, 2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Chainsaw.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to chime in but I think the only real concern will be over gassing. If you have the grenade lancher type wgich you can shut the gas block to off it would be a non issue, just have to run it bolt action style.

Take pictures
Old September 12, 2015, 10:54 PM   #3
blabablab

Yeah, its a yugo, so i can do that. May try it to see if I am getting any symptoms of over gassing first though.
Old September 13, 2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Id be VERY careful and check for concentricity with an adaptor added to an already sketchy threaded gun.

The reason (as you alluded) those cans are short and overbored is that the AK/SKS platforms have not been threaded straight historically. To add an adaptor to that makes it even more likely to be off center.

It may work just fine, but id hate to see you blow a hole in a good can because the tolerances stacked the wrong way
Old September 13, 2015, 06:05 PM   #5
skizzums

none of the above concerns me, the issue in my opinion is the fact that your using anywhere from .310-.312 bullets depending on the manufacturer. Maybe this isnt a problem and .308 silencers have plenty of clearance for a few thousandths in diameter, but i would definetely contact the manufacturer about it. we have all seen AK's with silencers so we know it's possible. And for the original question, it would cost very little to cut and crown your AK, not sure what kind you have, but you may want to remove the sight/bayo anyhow. Nut i bet the threads you have are just fine, obviously you will need a thread adaptor, but being crooked shouldn't be an issue and easy to figure out on your own.

apparently I didn't ead the OP very well. I think everything in your situation looks good. At the end of the day it will no be difficult to see if your can is concentric to the bore. A .311 Guide rod may be difficult to find on the cheap, but I would think that this could let you be able to visually see if the gaps are evn or not since your talking about .002 difference in diameter.http://www.cncwarrior.com/7-62-Barre...od-p/26224.htm
If that's still not good enough, find a comprehensive gunsmith that can run dial indicators on an alignment rod and that will answer your question 1000%. good luck, hope you get er done.

I don't know if something as simple as this would tell you precise enough, maybe ask the question in the smithy section about checking for muzzle device concentricity easily, they may have a couple tips.http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-clea...62x39+(xzzx310)

Last edited by skizzums; September 13, 2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old September 13, 2015, 07:59 PM   #6
Model12Win

I think a suppressor on a Yugo makes a whole lot more sense than the grenade launcher, at least for civy porpoises.

As much as I'd like a crate of 22mm rifle grenades to go along with my M56/66, it just ain't gonna happen!!