The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 1, 2018, 02:21 PM   #1
Willie Lowman

18" BCM awesomeness

A friend and I are always trading guns. Last year I got a Colt 6920 for some surplus .30-06 ammo. Just last week I traded a MP5 pistol for some cash and a BCM 18" upper that he wasn't using. So I put a SSA trigger in the 6920, slapped the BCM upper on it and mounted a Trijicon Accupower 1-8. That done I went out to the farm to sight it in.

I was frustrated initially. I put a shoot-n-see target at 50 yards and missed the whole target with every shot. Moved the target to 30 yards and again I wasn't even on paper. Moved the target to 10 yards and finally got hits far right and high. I cranked on the turrets, moved the target, adjusted, moved the target again... After a slow start I made it back to 50 yards where I made my initial zero. Once I was happy with that I put another shoot-n-see at 200 yards and loaded the rifle with some Mag-Tech 77 grain ammo.

When I saw my 200 yard groups I was really happy! The worst was 2 1/4" and the best was 1 1/2". I feel this is pretty good for the first time I have fired this particular rifle. If the rain stops this weekend I am going to take it back out and see what I can do.

I am concerned about the scope mount though. In order to get the eye relief I wanted, I had to put the front of the mount onto the first 1/2" of the handguard rail. I have been told to never bridge a mount between the receiver and the handguard. So I am worried about how my scope is mounted but it doesn't seem to have caused a problem yet.
Old November 1, 2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Nathan

Pics?

Just wondering, why was the BCM Upper a better choice than the Colt?

Was the optic NIB? What mount?

The concern you speak of is two fold....First, even with 4” of eye relief, I find the ocular lens even with the back of the upper...So, you may be craning your neck or practicing poor head/neck/shoulder position..

Second, if you are mounted on rings, no way front ring and rear are properly aligned. This usually shows up in scope damage or awkward turret movement.
Old November 2, 2018, 06:17 AM   #3
Mobuck

"Just wondering, why was the BCM Upper a better choice than the Colt?"

IMHO, there are numerous "better choices than COLT".
Maybe my "prancing pony" experiences aren't the same as others.
Old November 2, 2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

The rifle as is.

The overlap of the mount onto the handguard.
Old November 2, 2018, 01:22 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Just wondering, why was the BCM Upper a better choice than the Colt?

Was the optic NIB? What mount?
The BCM is a stainless 18" barrel that's free floated and has a rifle length gas system. For something that I will likely be shooting suppressed, that's a better choice than a 16" carbine upper.

The scope mount is a Trijicon 34mm Bobro mount.

As for craning my neck; when I shoot prone my nose almost touches the charging handle. I have to hold my head back to get a full view through the scope. As you can see in the pic I have the scope mounted an inch forward of the back of the receiver. This position gives me a good view when shooting prone. Any further back and I get a black ring around my reticle.