The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2011, 01:13 PM   #1
awaveritt

357 mag loads using 2400 and 125gr XTP's

My Speer #14 Manual lists the following 357Mag loads for 125gr JHP w/ Alliant 2400 Powder:
Starting: 16.5
Maximum: 17.5

So, I split the middle and loaded up 50 rds of Hornady125 XTP-HP at 17.0 grains thinking these would be within safe limits.

Then I peeked at the Hornady #7 manual in my LGS and read where Hornady's maximum load for the 125gr. XTP-HP is only 16.9gr. putting me .1 grain above their maximum. My COAL is 1.587 and bullets are firmly crimped.

These are intended for my Ruger New Vaqueros and a Marlin 1894c. Does anyone think this load is too hot for these firearms?
Old July 11, 2011, 01:27 PM   #2
recarga

I do follow speer and hornady I use the speer load more times because it has given me
The best results,
Now one thing you need,that is to watch what kind of primer you use, on the 2700 hornady does not tells you to use regular (non magnum) but the speer does, 2700 is a very hot powder that will work better with the regular primer.
Old July 11, 2011, 01:30 PM   #3
awaveritt

Quote:
Now one thing you need,that is to watch what kind of primer you use
Yes, thanks. I should have mentioned that they are loaded with CCI500 standard primers and new, unfired R-P brass.

Last edited by awaveritt; July 11, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old July 11, 2011, 01:41 PM   #4
recarga

that is my piggy load deadly up to 100yds. Have fun N be safe
Old July 11, 2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Shootest

Quote:
These are intended for my Ruger New Vaqueros and a Marlin 1894c. Does anyone think this load is too hot for these firearms?

NO, not at all. Lyman lists 17.7 as max. I always load 17.1g for my Blackhawk and Python.
Old July 11, 2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Shootest,

I understand the newer Vaquero is not as strong as a Blackhawk. Someone else chime in on this, as I only own a Blackhawk myself, but I heard some changes in the Vaquero were made to lighten it. I just haven't verified that.

Awaveritt,

This serves as a reminder that powder and bullet weight aren't the only things you need to match to get similar performance from a listed load. Primer and case and bullet and bullet seating depth all need to match up, too. But if you want really similar pressure and velocity, so do your chamber and bore dimensions have to match the test gun's, and that's something you usually cannot arrange to do.

An important rule you violated (at least to my thinking) is never to start in the middle of a listed load range. 99 times out of 100 you'll get away with it, but twice in my life I've run into listed starting loads that proved to be maximum loads in the particular gun I was loading for and am glad I went no higher.

In your case I would get some additional cases or pull bullets from 10 of your existing loads, then use the Hornady data because it is Hornady's bullet. The Speer book has data for their own 125 grain bullet, but it isn't the XTP. Different brands can have different lengths or different jacket thicknesses, so they may not behave the same even if they weigh the same. I would go back to the Hornady book and go up through the loads they list from 13.9 grains to 16.9 grains in .3 grain steps, while watching for pressure signs at each step. It'll be good practice for you. Assuming you arrive at 16.9 with no pressure signs, then 17.0 is likely to be fine. When you get more experience you can think about going outside manual limits, but early on I wouldn't push it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 11, 2011, 04:40 PM   #7
CherokeeT

Load some with starting load data and see how they work. Work up to 17.0 gr before shooting the ones you have.

Tags
125 gr. xtp , 2400 recipes , 357mag , marlin , new vaquero