The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 21, 2017, 02:45 PM   #1
redfishy

Winchester Model 1892 Help, Please

Hi, All

My Dad handed down to me, his Winchester 1892. After looking over it I find that there is no serial number on the bottom side of the receiver, but there are markings/stampings that I believe make it an original 1892 (not a newer edition).

The rifle has been restored, but based upon the shallow markings on the barrel, and the missing serial number, I'm thinking that it must have been pretty rusty prior to restoration, and underwent some serious buffing & polishing. Please see pics below.

I appreciate any info that might indicate the age of this rifle (including the location of the chamber markings on top of the barrel, and the markings on the top tang), and any other helpful info.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Old October 21, 2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Smoke & Recoil

38 W.C.F. is 38-40 caliber. The serial number would have been on the bottom, in front of the finger lever, but unfortunately it has been completely removed. It is a nice looking
rifle though. Don't expect much on value because of being heavily sanded.
Old October 22, 2017, 07:59 AM   #3
redfishy

Thanks

...time to go shoot it
Old October 22, 2017, 08:42 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

Hmmpf, the old obliterated serial number problem. Your attention is invited to this http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...TIzNDQ4/?ref=1
Old October 22, 2017, 10:20 AM   #5
eastbank

as it has Winchester proof marks on it, it was made after 1905-1906 and indeed is a 38-40. there are many thousands of firearms with out serial number as they were not required before 1968 and can be bought sold legaly. the problem is this rifle has had the serial number removed and the atf may or may not give a damn. I once saw a Winchester 1886 that had the lower tang replaced and it had no serial number on it. you would think the atf would have better things to do than go around checking for serial numbers on old hunting guns, but never say never. eastbank.
Old October 23, 2017, 10:32 AM   #6
mapsjanhere

As the hassle of requesting a remarking by the ATF is probably an order of magnitude less than the hassle explaining why you didn't (and the potential felony charges if they're unhappy with your explanation), I would get it fixed, especially if I'd intend to keep it long term as a family heirloom.
Old November 10, 2017, 05:32 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Forensic methods might reveal the serial number, but you be in for refinishing afterward.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 25, 2017, 12:12 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

X-ray may show them. I'd give it a try and then take it to an engraver for restoration.
Old November 27, 2017, 09:23 PM   #9
Scorch

Since the rifle is older than GCA '68 (Winchester 1892s were not manufactured after 1942), and it was not illegal to remove serial numbers prior to that time, I would just leave it.
Old November 28, 2017, 03:48 AM   #10
eastbank

it should be treated that way, but we all here know the batf is no friend of ours most of the time. eastbank.
Old November 28, 2017, 08:26 PM   #11
Hawg

It will all be well and good unless say you have it in your car and get pulled over or some other way get the attention of the police. The BATFE will have a serious interest in it then and it makes no difference when a serial number was removed all that matters is that it was removed.
Old December 2, 2017, 11:54 AM   #12
Ricklin

X-ray

You need some Roentgen rays my man. May reveal the original serial number, and no damage to that pretty finish.
140-160 Kv oughta do it. Your radiographer may need to take several shots varying the Kv to see the SN.

Been thinkin on this for a hobby business when I retire. Been doing hi resolution X-rays for a lot of years.