The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2017, 05:40 PM   #1
GilaDan

45 Colt Molds: Lee 252 or 255 best?

Hey Fellow Casters, trying to decide between the Lee 2 Cav 452-252-SWC or the Lee 2 Cav 452-255-RF. Will be casting for 45 Colt and wonder what experiences others have had with either of these bullets. Suspect both would be about the same for accuracy? Thanks
Old March 31, 2017, 06:27 AM   #2
Mike / Tx

I have shot a whole lot of the 255gr and various other weights. For just kicking around it is a great bullet. I had the 2C version but passed it on to a member here after picking up the 6C version. I run them pretty warm out of my 7.5" Redhawk, and they shoot great out to 75yds. Probably do good out a bit further if I could draw a tighter bead with those big ol sights.

It depends on your shooting but if your like me, once you start playing with it, you will find that it is a hoot, and that 2C version just seems too slow. On the flip side though, I can pour up enough to last me quite a while in just a short time so the bigger mold just ays in the drawer till I'm running low.

I started out using the 45/45/10 lube from White Label, and then finally broke down and got a sizer and switched over to the Carnuba Red. I tried out the BAC and 50/50, but the CR held up the best for my uses. If you haven't used any, and want to try some of his lubes out, ask him about a sample pack. Glen is a great guy to deal with and will tell you up front what works the best for your uses.

Hope that helps.
Old March 31, 2017, 10:50 AM   #3
GilaDan

Thanks Mike for your good information here. I was leaning toward the 255 previously.

Would like to quiz you a little on the Carnauba Red lube. Dad and I each have a Lyman sizer (gave him the newest model). Mine is the old model, pert near an antique but I learned its quirks and have great results using it. We tried various lubes and settled on Orange Magic. It seems to have the best consistency and less tendency to dry out, crack and fall out. We tried the Thompson Blue, a good lube I'm sure but takes more heat to soften and muscle into the lube ring.

So, could you give me an idea how the Carnauba Red feeds in the Sizer? Hopefully not as tough as the Thompson Blue. Assume the sticks are hollow? It sounds good on your results and I'm thinking of ordering a bag or two. This Glen, he works at NOE? Thanks
Old March 31, 2017, 11:25 AM   #4
shootniron

Not a 45colt fan, but I have shot it a LOT...I preferred the 255gr Lee and the RCBS SAA 270gr.
Old March 31, 2017, 01:03 PM   #5
David R

Carnuba red, kind of hard, but doesn't matter with a heater.

Your choice is SWC or RnF. Which do you prefer. 3 grains makes no difference, its about 1% of the bullet weight.

David
Old March 31, 2017, 01:13 PM   #6
shootniron

Quote:
Your choice is SWC or RnF. Which do you prefer. 3 grains makes no difference, its about 1% of the bullet weight.
Depending on use...bullet profile makes the difference, it is not the 3grs of bullet weight...255gr has a lot more meplat that the swc.

Last edited by shootniron; March 31, 2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old March 31, 2017, 09:57 PM   #7
Beagle333

If you like carnauba red, but don't have or don't want to fool with a heater, he also now makes it in blue which doesn't need heat.

(I am not affiliated, I am just passing along info for fellow cast bullet users. Personally, I love RandyRat's TAC-X lube, which is green. )
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 10, 2017, 08:51 AM   #8
happie2shoot

Lee 2 Cav 452-255-RF

I like the RF much more, it feeds good in lever guns and
revolvers esp with speed loaders, also it is super accurate.

Also like the six cavity better.

It works great in the 454 with eight grains of Bullseye for around
1025fps in a 7.5'' and 1300fps in a 20 '' with 454 brass.

Have shot many six shot groups under one inch in the Rug SRH
revolver at 25 yards with that load.

It is good in most 45 handguns including the 45 ACP, Super and
Rowland.
Old April 10, 2017, 09:23 AM   #9
salvadore

If you mean you are casting for the .45 Colt cartridge, I have both and seem to work equally well, if you mean you are casting for a Colt S.A.A., then neither will work well because mine cast real close to the .452" as advertised.
Old April 11, 2017, 05:15 PM   #10
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Thanks Mike for your good information here. I was leaning toward the 255 previously.

Would like to quiz you a little on the Carnauba Red lube. Dad and I each have a Lyman sizer (gave him the newest model). Mine is the old model, pert near an antique but I learned its quirks and have great results using it. We tried various lubes and settled on Orange Magic. It seems to have the best consistency and less tendency to dry out, crack and fall out. We tried the Thompson Blue, a good lube I'm sure but takes more heat to soften and muscle into the lube ring.

So, could you give me an idea how the Carnauba Red feeds in the Sizer? Hopefully not as tough as the Thompson Blue. Assume the sticks are hollow? It sounds good on your results and I'm thinking of ordering a bag or two. This Glen, he works at NOE? Thanks

Yeah the Carnuba Red like a some heat. I have one of the square heaters under my Lyman 4500 and I added a small thermocouple so I could use a PID to control the heat. I started with a ceiling fan control but it was hit or miss on the right temp. Somewhere around 80-85 degrees seems to work well for me.

I haven't tried the Blue that Beagle posted but I figure it is just as good. Glen knows his lines and is a great fellow to deal with. Also you can get the lube in either hollow or solid sticks. You can even get it in a big block and make you own or simply melt and pour into your 450 or 4500.

As for Glen working for NOE, not to my knowledge, but it's possible they have a dealer agreement.

I also use an older Saeco liner which I just set up one of those clamp on lights with a hundred watt light and in about 30-45 mins it's ready to go.

Hope this helps.
Old May 20, 2017, 01:18 AM   #11
Pathfinder45

I have both and was casting with both today. The 255RF is the one I prefer and it's the better choice for a lever-action rifle. the 252SWC is really a revolver bullet. Both shoot well as-cast for me; I never size them.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:57 AM   #12
elrotundamundo

slug your cylinder throats first.

I have the DC 452-252-SWC and a Ruger Blackhawk I bought in the 1980s. I could never get this bullet to shoot accurately (6" groups at 25 yards). Then I learned about matching cast bullet diameter to cylinder throat diameter. My gun's throats are .454. I tried some .454 cast bullets and my groups shrunk to 2".

Make sure your throats are no larger than .452 which is what my Lee DC 452-252-SWC mold drops with wheel weights.

My mold just sits on the shelf now since it won't work for my particular gun.
Old May 20, 2017, 07:05 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

I was casting again today and I was reminded by way of results: The 255 RF is easier to get good bullets with fewer rejects than the 252 SWC, at least with my molds.
Old June 15, 2017, 03:55 PM   #14
GilaDan

Long absence due to other rat killin. Thank everyone for their input. I did go with the 255RF and couldn't be happier. Have cast around 1200 so far and the Lee mold is very consistent. Throwing 256 grain average. Didn't know my 45 Colt (Ruger) could shoot so accurate. This bullet in front of 4.9 Green Dot is super accurate. Won't say any negative on the 252 SWC but I do agree the shape of the 255 RF makes it easy to cast.
Old June 30, 2017, 09:20 AM   #15
458winshooter

45 Lee

I use the 452-252swc over 9.0 grs of herco.Its a Max load for standard pressure loads and is very accurate in my 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk.