The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2009, 11:54 PM   #1
dsv424

Can someone tell me what .308 case this is?

I think this is a .308 case, at least it is the same size as other .308 cases I have. It has RG and 93 written on it along with a circle with a cross in it. I found them at my shooting range and they appear to be nice cases, however when I attempted to de-prime them I found that they had berdan primers in them. Is there anyway I can de-prime these and re-prime them with box type primers? I found over 200 of them and would hate to just toss them. Thx.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's British, made at the government munitions plant at Radway Green in 1993.

The circle-cross is the NATO acceptance mark, meaning that the ammo is made to NATO standards, primary among which is that it is non corrosive.

You can SOMETIMES convert berdan cases to centerfire, but it is a lot of handwork.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Death from Afar

Its a huge pain to do the conversion. And, if you inadvertantly leave a berden case in your other brass, you tend to break decapping pins. trust me on that!
Old May 17, 2009, 05:12 PM   #4
dsv424

Thx for the info guys. Looks like I'll be tossing them. Just seems to be a shame because they really look like good quality cases. Oh well.
Old May 17, 2009, 06:33 PM   #5
csmsss

I believe there are decapping tools/jigs available for Berdan primers, but the real problem (at least right now) is that there is basically no source for new primers. That said, save your brass - set it aside and hang onto it, because in this topsy turvy world, you never know what is going to happen - you might run into someone wanting to trade for them or buy them outright, or a source of Berdan large rifle primers might come available. That's what I'm doing with my German 7.62x51 brass.