The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2009, 01:25 PM   #1
ar15man2009

winchester universal 12 ga hulls

hey guys,
i just picked up around 300 winchester universal hulls and i would very much like to reload these.if i can even get them to load even one time that would be great,however i dont want to be unsafe in doing this. i have read that they are very similiar to wincheter aa,but not from very reliable sources.I would rather hear some first hand expirience from those of you who have actually done it. any help and opinions will be great.thanks
Old May 16, 2009, 02:42 PM   #2
crowbeaner

If they have a seperate basewad as in the Riefenhauser type 2 piece WW hull, there are various data sources for reloading data, but nowhwere near as many loads as an AA hull. You can reload just about ANY shotshell, but sometimes data can be hard to find as in the newer RP 2 piece SP 2 3/4" hulls. I have lots of data for the 1 piece Unibody hulls, but not for the 2 piece. I wish Federal would bring back the 209 primer as I have scads of data for GM hulls, but no primers. The 209A is hotter, and the data publishers are behind the curve on listing high velocity heavy field loads with the 209A.
Old May 16, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I load them and get 2-4 reloads before my crimp won't hold or splits. I use data for AA hulls even though they are not the same. I have had good results using 1 ounce loads, waa12sl wads, win 209 primers, and 19.0 grns. Hodgdon international powder. BEWARE: YOUR RESULTS MAY DIFFER FROM MINE! YOU SHOULD ALWAYS FOLLOW THE LOAD MANUAL VERBATIM! Shotshell and metallic are different. You can experiment a little more with metallic, but is not a good idea at all with shotshell!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 17, 2009, 11:55 AM   #4
1911 Shooter

I load quite a bit of shotgun shells. I would 86 those Win Universals to the nearest trash can. You can thank me later. Plenty of remington ( any type ) can be found at any gun club.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:39 PM   #5
ar15man2009

hulls

well the problem is i live kind of out of the way of everything else in a very small town and the nearest gun range or club is at least 50 miles.i was lucky to find these at a local field type area.it just seems like such a waste to get rid of them. and thank you for the replies so far.