The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 28, 2021, 03:21 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Innovative Kimber K6 pocket holster

I haven't seen anything like these, so I thought that I would post my innovative design for a pocket holster that hangs from the belt, thereby taking much of the weight of the gun off the pocket. This works mainly with jean style western rise pants where the top of the pocket is cut more horizontally in line with the belt.

The Kimber is 24 ounces, but feels much lighter now with this arrangement, and doesn't swing around in the pocket from the weight. Normally in any other pocket holster you are relying on the fabric and stiffness of the clothing support the weight of the gun and to keep the gun in place, but there with the weight being transferred to the belt, you can pocket carry a heavier gun.

These would be hard to produce commercially because of the difference in body types, the depth of pockets, and the particular gun, but I am sharing this idea so that others can use the design to make their own versions. Perhaps an adjustable length version could be made and sold.

This has really opened the door for my pocket carry options. These are designed for the left pocket as my pocket carry is both backup and main, so I wanted to leave my strong side open for AIWB options as well.

The first photo is of the first holster I designed for the Kimber K6, and the Kahr PM9.

This second photo shows the holster hanging OUTSIDE the pocket so you can see how it works.

And this third photo shows the rig inside the pocket. You can hardly notice the hanging tab off the belt, so it hides pretty nicely, yet this 24 ounce Kimber feels like 1/2 the weight! Maybe slightly more bulk because of the holster design, but worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010509.JPG (343.2 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg P1010513.JPG (397.2 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg P1010515.JPG (384.8 KB, 286 views)
Old May 28, 2021, 03:24 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

And this photo is with the Kahr PM9 which now feels like 9 ounces in the pocket!

The length of the strap has to be carefully adjusted so that it is slight higher than the pocket bottom, yet deep enough so that the grip does not show above the pocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010517.JPG (456.0 KB, 236 views)
Old May 28, 2021, 03:30 PM   #3
ballardw

For pants where the pocket is less in line with belt move the vertical strap back to, or even behind the trigger guard
Old May 29, 2021, 07:23 AM   #4
lunger

That is innovative. Making the strap adjustable (Velcro maybe?) for length and angle would make it work with different styles of jeans.
Old May 29, 2021, 10:24 AM   #5
reddog81

Nice. I love how basic it is but probably works better than 99% of holsters out there.
Old May 29, 2021, 12:15 PM   #6
sparkyv

Nice design. Well done.
Old May 30, 2021, 06:21 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

Wow, great idea. Wonderful example of thinking outside the box. Yankee ingenuity at its best.
Old May 30, 2021, 07:10 AM   #8
Carl the Floor Walker

Smart holster for sure. A great way to distribute the weight. Sort of like the Urban carry holster in theory. A a holster that I was surprised that works quite well.
Old May 30, 2021, 11:46 AM   #9
smee78

That is a nifty idea you had. I like it.
Old May 31, 2021, 01:35 PM   #10
KyJim

Maybe you can patent it and license the design to a holster maker.
Old May 31, 2021, 02:17 PM   #11
HighValleyRanch

Been there already trying to get a patent on a novel firearm related product. Even hired a patent specialty lawyer who finially convinced me 1/2 way through that it would not end well and cost me over 6K, so I settled with him by sending my glock 26 as a token payment (legally of course)!LOL

If someone else wants to use this design fine. I'm just posting this here to prove I was the first to come up with the idea!