The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 26, 2021, 09:41 PM   #1
HWS

School Me on Holsters

This is my first hand gun. It is a FMK 9C1G2, a Glock 19 clone. I need a holster to go outside the belt. Prices range from $12.00--$140.00. I have no idea what I am buying. If I ever have to pull this gun out of its holster for HD purposes, I am already going to be in deep do-do so I am not looking for style or tacticool. I am looking for a holster which will retain the gun if I am rolling around in the dirt on a gun belt.

What do you think? Criticisms? Suggestions?
Old May 27, 2021, 07:58 AM   #2
unclenunzie

Whatever you go with, get one made specifically molded for your make and model. Stay far away from anything not made of leather or kydex/polymer types. The well known higher quality makers will have a broad range of holsters. Names like Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen. A proper leather holster will not give up the pistol unless deliberately drawn. Also, and equally important is a proper gun belt made for that purpose that fits you and the holster. Regular belts won't provide secure good service.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:08 AM   #3
Pistoler0

R&R OWB Paddle Holster. Amazon, around $35

Also in Amazon: Orpaz G19 OWB has a retention thumb lock and release button. Around $50
Old May 27, 2021, 02:47 PM   #4
HWS

PistolerO,

Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Holsters-Kyde...07CZ2CD57?th=1

It looks like this holster is easily taken off and on and put on another belt. Is that true?
Old May 27, 2021, 06:22 PM   #5
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWS View Post
PistolerO,

Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Holsters-Kyde...07CZ2CD57?th=1

It looks like this holster is easily taken off and on and put on another belt. Is that true?
Yes, it is.

Its one of my OWB holsters, I use it when venturing outdoors with a Glock 21. The gun fits well and retention is tight, but some reviewers complain of bad retention with other pistols.

I don't know if I like the Orpaz better, they are both good, the Orpaz is offered with and without thumb release
Orpaz holster about $30
and with Amazon you can always return stuff if you don't like it.

Piece of cake to put on and off. You can also use it without a belt, in that case the "paddle" would go on the inside of the pants. It is hard polymer so it can be a little uncomfortable worn that way, and in that case I just use a long UnderArmor t-shirt so it doesn't poke me too bad.

The paddle has a "lip" (circled in red in the photo below) so that it doesn't slip off the belt easily as you pull the pistol out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg holst2.jpg (302.9 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg holst1.jpg (300.0 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by Pistoler0; May 28, 2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old May 27, 2021, 06:26 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

I personally like the alien gear shape shift series. It has a base platform on which you can swap shells for different pistols. it has adjustable tension for a click in and out type. it also has a modulat thumb release system as well that you can put on or take off

here is the outside the waist band option about $52
https://aliengearholsters.com/shapes...b-holster.html

and the paddle style outside the waist band
https://aliengearholsters.com/shapes...e-holster.html

they also have a shape shift kit for $99.88. It has 4 carry options including outside the waist band, inside the waist band, paddle, and appendix.
https://aliengearholsters.com/bundle...er-system.html

If I were looking at just outside the waist band I would go with the first one.
Old May 27, 2021, 07:07 PM   #7
gaseousclay

I have a Vedder iwb with good retention. Not sure if they have owb holsters for your particular gun but I think they make quality kydex holsters
Old May 27, 2021, 11:21 PM   #8
HWS

I like the Orpaz also. Its description includes the words "battle tested" which impressed me.
Old May 28, 2021, 07:53 AM   #9
ghbucky

My $.02 is to make sure any kydex you select has a adjustable retention so you can adjust it to your liking.

Looks like that linked Orpaz provides that ability.
Old May 28, 2021, 09:10 AM   #10
101combatvet

I use the Blackhawk Serpa on several carry pistols.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:13 PM   #11
HWS

Yes, the Orpaz does have an adjustable feature.

This is my first hand gun and first holster so I want to keep it simple without too many features. But that adjustment is a big positive.

Last edited by HWS; May 28, 2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old May 28, 2021, 06:10 PM   #12
Shadow9mm

Coming from a guy who has tried a lot of holsters of the years. Finding one you love, and a carry method that best suits you can be challenging.

That is why I recommended the alien gear system. Yes it is a touch complicated, but you re getting 4 different carry formats for only $100. that will let you experiment and find what carry method works best for you. while also giving you 2 good outside the waist band option.

If you want just plain simple I would consider a pancake style leather holster with a thumb break (thumb snap). They are comfortable and ride on a belt well, the gun will not fall out. simple, elegant, and right in the middle of your price range.

midway leather outside the waist band
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?category...-45-132-11-HA0

Good holster
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...-45-132-11-HA0

Last edited by Shadow9mm; May 28, 2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old May 28, 2021, 11:12 PM   #13
HWS

My uses will not include concealed carry in the usual sense. This would either go on a battle belt or in my truck or on the night stand. I am not even sure a holster is the thing for the truck.
Old May 29, 2021, 08:18 PM   #14
GJeffB

Holster School - College Level

HWS, your question was about the holster. Got it. And you received a bunch of great suggestions. But ...
Take the bestest, expensivest, handgun holder and hang it on a cheap, weak, poorly fitted belt and you'll be chasing after it every time you want to draw. IMHO, settle on a decent well made holster. THEN find and buy the stoutest, stiffest belt of your chosen material that you can afford. If the holster has a 1-3/4" slot, get a 1-/3/4' belt. 1-1/2" slot gets a 1-1/2" belt, etc. The correct holster to belt fit keeps the holster from wandering around your waist. Plus it keeps the holster cant consistent. All of which means it's "there" when you reach for it.

-jb, buy the best, cry once, buy the cheapest, cry every time you use it
Old May 29, 2021, 08:54 PM   #15
HWS

GJeffB, the belt is 2.25 inches.

I ran into this by accident. I think maybe it is my best option. It is certainly simple and will fit the belt and is secure although not a quick draw holster. It only costs $20.00 so if it does not work out at least I will know what I want at that point and won't be out any real money.
Old September 4, 2021, 09:02 AM   #16
Seedy Character

VersaCarry

Outstanding belt, comfortable holster
Old September 6, 2021, 09:51 AM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWS View Post
This is my first hand gun. It is a FMK 9C1G2, a Glock 19 clone. I need a holster to go outside the belt. Prices range from $12.00--$140.00. I have no idea what I am buying. If I ever have to pull this gun out of its holster for HD purposes, I am already going to be in deep do-do so I am not looking for style or tacticool. I am looking for a holster which will retain the gun if I am rolling around in the dirt on a gun belt.

What do you think? Criticisms? Suggestions?
Good luck. Figuring out what works for you is a (potentially) long road. The "Box of Regrettable Holsters" is a real thing.

Buying a holster based on Internet recommendations is (for me) extremely difficult. Web searches mostly point you to crap holsters. Amazon searches mostly point you to crap holsters. Ditto asking on forums (Ahem!). Holsters sold on the manufacturer's own website may or may not be worth getting. Etc.

Getting away from the popular standards (Glock, SIG, S&W j-frame, etc.) into an obscure gun, drops you options way down. "This holster made for this other gun will work!" -- (some guy on the Innernet), may or may not be true. (So, good luck on that FMK, a gun which I've never seen in the flesh.) Ditto, bolt on a light or laser and your options go way down.

You'll need a good belt. Your flimsy "leather" stuffmart belt will not do. Expect to spend $35-$40, up, for a belt made to be able to properly carry a holstered gun. Pay attention to the sizing instructions on the various makers site. I've got a couple from Wilderness Tactical, a 'Frequent Flyer", and a "Lo Pro". that work well for me.

A good holster will cost you money. It's really unlikely that the $12 holster will do what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclenunzie View Post
Whatever you go with, get one made specifically molded for your make and model. Stay far away from anything not made of leather or kydex/polymer types. The well known higher quality makers will have a broad range of holsters. Names like Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen. A proper leather holster will not give up the pistol unless deliberately drawn. Also, and equally important is a proper gun belt made for that purpose that fits you and the holster. Regular belts won't provide secure good service.
What he said.

----------------------------------------------------------------

All that said, I think I'd be looking at this: https://fmkfirearms.com/product/fron...-belt-holster/.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; September 6, 2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old September 6, 2021, 01:29 PM   #18
lefteye

C.C. Filson makes excellent double-layer belts that support holstered handguns!