The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 23, 2020, 06:29 PM   #1
dyl

Reloading BP revolver: cylinder stop positions

Hey all, wondering if this is normal function.

On my 1858 Pietta, when I go to load/reload it, I put it in half-cock. If I spin the cylinder to the next point when the cylinder stop engages, it is actually too far and the built in ram rod can't press into the charging hole because it's impacting the side of that chamber. At this point I can't spin the cylinder in reverse either.

If I were to fully cock the hammer and then charge that chamber it is properly aligned but something about that seems off.

Is my procedure simply wrong, or do I need to adjust the timing of the cylinder?
Old December 23, 2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Centurion

Hi! First of all, the cylinder stop should not engage when the hammer is in half cock position, the cylinder must to rotate freely.
Old December 23, 2020, 11:48 PM   #3
Hellgate

Take the cylinder out of the gun and watch the action of the bolt as you cock and uncock the hammer. The bolt should be protruding through the frame with the hammer at full cock and when the hammer is fully down. As you cock the hammer the bolt should retract into the frame at half cock and then pop back through the frame slot just before reaching full cock. You might have to carefully/slightly spread the "legs" of the bolt to make sure it is engaging the cam on the hammer or the cam is worn or defective.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old December 24, 2020, 01:05 AM   #4
dyl

Okay. My terminology was off and I think it's made me difficult to understand.

Quote:
Take the cylinder out of the gun and watch the action of the bolt as you cock and uncock the hammer. The bolt should be protruding through the frame with the hammer at full cock and when the hammer is fully down. As you cock the hammer the bolt should retract into the frame at half cock and then pop back through the frame slot just before reaching full cock. You might have to carefully/slightly spread the "legs" of the bolt to make sure it is engaging the cam on the hammer or the cam is worn or defective.
Checked, everything seems okay there.

Quote:
First of all, the cylinder stop should not engage when the hammer is in half cock position, the cylinder must to rotate freely.
The cylinder stop or bolt (on my DA/SA S&W's, I think they're referred to as cylinder stops.) does not engage when the hammer is in half cock, so that's good. In half cock the cylinder spins freely in the clockwise perspective from the shooter's point of view, but can't rotate counter-clockwise. The angle of the hand and engagement surfaces in the rear of the cylinder face (ratchet star on a DA revolver?) probably prevent that.

The problem I have is *where* the cylinder stops in half-cock. I load it in half-cock and I have to carefully rotate/ advance the cylinder to right before I hear it click, before it reaches it's next stopping point. If i go a little bit too far and the revolver clicks, I'm in trouble because the cylinder has spun too far, the charging hole is no longer aligned with the ram rod, and I can't spin in reverse at all to give myself some clearance. Is this normal?
Old December 24, 2020, 02:23 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
The problem I have is *where* the cylinder stops in half-cock. I load it in half-cock and I have to carefully rotate/ advance the cylinder to right before I hear it click, before it reaches it's next stopping point. If i go a little bit too far and the revolver clicks, I'm in trouble because the cylinder has spun too far, the charging hole is no longer aligned with the ram rod, and I can't spin in reverse at all to give myself some clearance. Is this normal?
That's how they work. The hand is always against the rear of the cylinder and when the next tooth comes up it clicks in place and there's no going back.
Old December 24, 2020, 03:35 AM   #6
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
Okay. My terminology was off and I think it's made me difficult to understand.

Checked, everything seems okay there.

The cylinder stop or bolt (on my DA/SA S&W's, I think they're referred to as cylinder stops.) does not engage when the hammer is in half cock, so that's good. In half cock the cylinder spins freely in the clockwise perspective from the shooter's point of view, but can't rotate counter-clockwise. The angle of the hand and engagement surfaces in the rear of the cylinder face (ratchet star on a DA revolver?) probably prevent that.

Now I understand what's hapenning.
Old December 24, 2020, 03:36 AM   #7
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
That's how they work. The hand is always against the rear of the cylinder and when the next tooth comes up it clicks in place and there's no going back.
It is like Hawg says. 100% agree.

Rgds!
Old December 24, 2020, 09:30 AM   #8
noelf2

I can advance my cylinder to hear the click, but it will back track far enough to align for ramming.

Edit: correcting what I said above. I checked mine with a conversion cylinder in it by mistake. With the c&b cylinder in it, it does the same as yours. So I assume this is normal, for pietta at least.

Last edited by noelf2; December 24, 2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old December 26, 2020, 03:24 PM   #9
dyl

Quote:
With the c&b cylinder in it, it does the same as yours. So I assume this is normal, for pietta at least.
Well darn it. That's a tiny bit of a pain. Thanks for answering my questions folks, I appreciate it. I don't have anywhere locally to ask these kind of things. Hope your Christmas was great.
Old January 5, 2021, 10:57 PM   #10
prof marvel

When loading your 1858, it is not necessary to turn the cylinder until you hear the hand "click".
Just turn it until the empty chamber lines up with the ram.
load, then proceed to the next chamber.
If you turn too far, do not try to back up, just keep turning all the way 'round again.
no harm done.

one can even skip the chamber one passed and keep loading. The empty chamber *will* comeaorund again lol .

After some practice it becomes intuitive.

hth
prf mrvl
Old January 6, 2021, 09:30 AM   #11
noelf2

Quote:
If you turn too far, do not try to back up, just keep turning all the way 'round again.
no harm done.
You have to take the ball off or the cylinder so won't spin around.
Old January 6, 2021, 09:01 PM   #12
44 Dave

Or if you have my luck, it moves past just after the ball gets started. Then I pull the cylinder turn it and put it back in then ram the bullet home.