The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 9, 2020, 05:08 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

Yes or no on Remington V3 (given Remington)

Yeah or nay on a Remington V3? Synthetic 28" 12ga. V3 over Versamax? What I really want is the compact 22" version, but I can't entirely tell if it ever came out...though it is the gun featured on the current 2020 Remington Rebate.

Looks like there is a sku for a 22" barrel, but I can't find it anywhere. I know Remington Chapter 11 closed down long guns...

What say ya? I have a good deal on new. With the $50 rebate right now...but I would want to buy the 22" barrel that is vaporware...

Just consider Remington out for a while to see if it comes back at all?

Thanks!
Old December 9, 2020, 06:14 PM   #2
FITASC

What rebate? They are broke and most likely never coming back which means service and support may not be readily available going forward (except for the older basic 870s and 1100s which are out there by the millions)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 9, 2020, 06:35 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

Shotgun rebate right now from Remington:

https://www.remington.com/sites/defa...n-Firearms.pdf

Rebate was posted after the Chapter 11...
Old December 9, 2020, 08:35 PM   #4
FITASC

That was a sarcastic rhetorical statement..........they are bankrupt; are you sure they will bother to honor it?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 9, 2020, 09:15 PM   #5
wild cat mccane

That is an excellent point fella. I've always gotten rebates from Winchester/Federal/Remington...but absolutely no group of rebates have been more dodgy

Welp, I read good things about the V3, but no source for the 22" or Compact version they even show on the rebate makes me think Remington is no fly for now. Dang it.
Old December 10, 2020, 12:25 AM   #6
Virginian

Remington in New York has been shut down over the virus by their Idiot POS governor. They can't do anything until that's lifted.
Old December 10, 2020, 01:51 AM   #7
wild cat mccane

Might differ on that perspective
Old December 10, 2020, 12:55 PM   #8
stinkeypete

The V3 is said to be an excellent and reliable auto loader. I was looking at it because The dog said I needed a new gun as I was missing too much. The wife made fun of me because my shoulder had been black, blue and interesting shades of yellow and green developing since opening day of pheasant. (My vintage Ithaca has a hard phenolic plastic butt plate.)

The main draw back for me is getting a gun that makes it through about the first 4 boxes without issues. If a new gun is going to have problems, it’s usually during break in. Intermittent problems are the worst.

I’d rather buy a USED V3 from a fella I trusted who could tell me it has run fine for him than a new one.

While I was thinking this over, a pristine used Fabarm L4s Hunter cut by the factory to 13.5 inch LOP made itself known and became mine. It still has a couple of years on the factory warranty (which is 5 years to the original owner but the nice woman at Fabarm USA said that unofficially they’ll honor it until 5 years after the original owners purchase. I trust them and trust that once a shotgun is running right it will keep running a real real long time.) even used, I paid more for the Fabarm although having the correct LOP for my shorter stature and less flexible frame was worth hundreds of dollars to me so... buy once, cry once... and I will get over looking like a terrorist afield with my semi auto as the wood is pretty and I do like at least 3 shots as I am not that handy with a shotgun.

While the V3 is a bargain, I worried about the break in period.
Old December 10, 2020, 01:19 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
Remington in New York has been shut down over the virus by their Idiot POS governor. They can't do anything until that's lifted.
Partially; they are shut down because they have no FFL to manufacture, most employees have moved on, they have no raw materials and the new owners (former CEO and sidekicks) played a sort of shell game.
Old December 10, 2020, 01:55 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

I'd be leery of anything BNIB from Remington until their owners sort out the bankruptcy. No firearms of any kind on their site. No rebates for firearms either. Ammunition only.
"...Idiot POS governor..." Just the governor? We have a whole government like that. Persecuting the law abiding with bans and eventual, no compensation, confiscation.
I think most, if not all, manufacturers are closed for the duration of the Covid Panic.
Old December 10, 2020, 02:52 PM   #11
FITASC

The ammo and Remington name have nothing to do with firearms any longer. Vista Outdoors (Federal) owns the ammo plants AND the Remington name. Any firearms eventually produced by Roundhill (wherever they may be made) will need to have the name licensed to them from Vista

Last edited by FITASC; December 10, 2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old December 10, 2020, 04:39 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

Beretta was decimated by COVID and you see it in their shotguns. Most assume it's because of panic buying. It isn't. Really unfounded to be calling anyone names during a global pandemic.

Where Beretta Italy is located is like top 10 of European cases. 2K died in the last 2 weeks.

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Last edited by wild cat mccane; December 10, 2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old December 10, 2020, 05:40 PM   #13
Virginian

Remington's Illion plant was closed down well before the auction due to Covid. I do not believe Roundhill squandered millions on a lark.
Old December 10, 2020, 06:03 PM   #14
FITASC

No, but the assets they acquired are worth more than the 13 million they paid, even if they never produce gun one.