The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2007, 03:34 PM   #1
.17HMR

Handloading Rimfire Ammuntion?

Let me start of by saying that I have never tried handloading/reloading ammo before, but I'm interested in learning about the process and maybe trying it.

I recently got a .17hmr for target/varmint shooting and have been wondering about the possibilities of handloading ammo for it, but since it's rimfire, I was wondering if you can even do that? I know reloading isn't a possibility because of this, but can you buy shells that are already primed and load yourself? If anyone knows whether or not you can do this, or if anyone has done it, please let me know.

Thanks
Old July 17, 2007, 03:57 PM   #2
2rugers

Sorry, but you cannot reload rimfire ammo.

There is no primer to punch and replace.
Old July 17, 2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I think he got that. He wants to know if empty primed cases for one-time-use are available to load, and the answer to that is no, also.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 17, 2007, 04:59 PM   #4
Tanzer

Even if it were, I doubt it would be cost effective.
Old July 17, 2007, 08:19 PM   #5
Trapper L

Sorry guys, but yes you can reload rimfire. I have a friend in Fredricksburg Texas that reloads his match rimfire ammo. I have watched it being done. It's not something I would do. Priming is a liquid encounter that I prefer to avoid. The normal powders don't work and finding components is always an issue for him. But it can be done.
Old July 17, 2007, 09:35 PM   #6
crowbeaner

Not being able to reload rimfire ammo without having to undergo the type of ordeal described in the above post just makes me want a .22 Hornet all the more. I"m still in the process of loading some cast bullets in my .222, but I seem to have LOST my cast bullet handbooks in the 4 or 5 moves since I saw them last. REALLY po'd about it; I guess I'll have to supplicate to SWMBO and see if she will give me the moolah to replace them. I remember when the load development was ongoing for the various rimfire magnums, and I believe that one of the gun scribes got hold of sone primed .22 mag brass from a mfg. to neck down to .17 cal. and make his ammo. Not sure I'd go that far either. CB
Old July 17, 2007, 09:58 PM   #7
.17HMR

Thanks for the quick replies. I knew reloading wouldn't be possible, or at least feasible for me. I was just curious about whether or not it would be possible to handload rounds for a rimfire cartridges. Oh well, Hornaday and CCI probably do a better job than I would be able to as it is. Thanks again for the replies.
Old July 18, 2007, 12:51 AM   #8
inkie

Trapper L.

Where did your friend get the liquid primer from? Did he get the formula from patent info? old books? Iwas under the impression that the ammo manufacturers won't sell this proprietary product to outsiders.
Old June 12, 2010, 10:24 PM   #9
drewnickel

it is not impossible to reload any type of shell

rimfire included, I can use homemade priming compounds made from matchheads and fine grain blackpowder to reload my .22lr shells, ad I can amp up the power in the shells with some really hot powders, I can use just 5gr of bluedot smokeless and get about 2000fps with a 28gr bullet. I take the matched and gently scratch off the igniting compound of about 2 boxe of them, and I GENTLY grind them into a fine grain. then I pour in a 1/9 ratio of black powder and mix THOROUGHLY. I put in about .5 grains of priming compound in my shells and I use .22cal lead air rifle pellets to reload into them, as they are very reliable. I have even used saboted 5.4gr .177cal pba ammo and broken the 4000fps mark in the .22lr cases, while still attaining only moderate pressures. and with 5.4gr at 4000fps, thats a good 192fpe, for a .22 that's some blazing power. as normal shells get 90 to 140fpe. and since its a smaller caliber it'll pierce almost anything at that speed, I can pierce 6 inches of wood without a problem, mostly cause .177cal is meant to pierce like needles. but 'd suggest to stay with 22cal pellets or even .22ccal bullets for reloading .223, .22-250, ect. anyway, it's not impossible, and actually it's worth it, and the best part is those little .22caps, yeh I can make it fire as slow as 300fps and with almost no sound.
Old June 12, 2010, 10:31 PM   #10
drewnickel

my other post

when I say 1 to 9 ratio, I mean 1 grain of blackpowder for every 9 grains of matchpowder. hen when you put it in the shell, you add liquid and let it sit for about 24 hours for the liquid to evaporate and leave the primer attatched to the base of the .22 shell. the best part of it is, you can make any load physically possible with a .22, and I'm sure you could finally break the 1mps mark with .22mag brass using the same technique. I dont know any rifle that can go 1mps, the .22-243 middlestead is the closest at 5278fps, but it's still 2fps short of the big mark. I'm thinking of making a .17-243 round so I can finally put the mile barrier out of order. anyway with reloading methods it takes about 1hour for about 100gr of primer to be made. or about enough for 200 shells
Old June 13, 2010, 12:07 AM   #11
blu97

rimfire reloading

I bought 1000 primed 22 mag cases on e-bay some years ago before the purge.

Haven,t tried useing any yet.
Old June 13, 2010, 07:22 AM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
...when you put it in the shell, you add liquid...
What "liquid"?
Old June 13, 2010, 09:34 AM   #13
brickeyee

Quote:
What "liquid"?
Priming compound is handled as a slurry in water for safety.
Old June 13, 2010, 12:29 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
rimfire included, I can use homemade priming compounds made from matchheads and fine grain blackpowder to reload my .22lr shells, ad I can amp up the power in the shells with some really hot powders, I can use just 5gr of bluedot smokeless and get about 2000fps with a 28gr bullet. I take the matched and gently scratch off the igniting compound of about 2 boxe of them, and I GENTLY grind them into a fine grain. then I pour in a 1/9 ratio of black powder and mix THOROUGHLY. I put in about .5 grains of priming compound in my shells and I use .22cal lead air rifle pellets to reload into them, as they are very reliable. I have even used saboted 5.4gr .177cal pba ammo and broken the 4000fps mark in the .22lr cases, while still attaining only moderate pressures. and with 5.4gr at 4000fps, thats a good 192fpe, for a .22 that's some blazing power. as normal shells get 90 to 140fpe. and since its a smaller caliber it'll pierce almost anything at that speed, I can pierce 6 inches of wood without a problem, mostly cause .177cal is meant to pierce like needles. but 'd suggest to stay with 22cal pellets or even .22ccal bullets for reloading .223, .22-250, ect. anyway, it's not impossible, and actually it's worth it, and the best part is those little .22caps, yeh I can make it fire as slow as 300fps and with almost no sound.

when I say 1 to 9 ratio, I mean 1 grain of blackpowder for every 9 grains of matchpowder. hen when you put it in the shell, you add liquid and let it sit for about 24 hours for the liquid to evaporate and leave the primer attatched to the base of the .22 shell. the best part of it is, you can make any load physically possible with a .22, and I'm sure you could finally break the 1mps mark with .22mag brass using the same technique. I dont know any rifle that can go 1mps, the .22-243 middlestead is the closest at 5278fps, but it's still 2fps short of the big mark. I'm thinking of making a .17-243 round so I can finally put the mile barrier out of order. anyway with reloading methods it takes about 1hour for about 100gr of primer to be made. or about enough for 200 shells

Have you woken up from this dream yet?
Old June 13, 2010, 01:06 PM   #15
James R. Burke

I believe no to all of it.
Old June 13, 2010, 02:05 PM   #16
Dannyl

Not for me

Hi,
The practice mentioned above sounds almost as safe as a SAMBA dancing competition held in a mine-field.

To anyone who reads it, please do yourself a favour and do not try it.

Brgds,

Danny

PS,befolre you try any of that, please remember: Artificial limb technology still has a lot to improve and eye donors are scace.....

Last edited by Dannyl; June 14, 2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old June 13, 2010, 02:10 PM   #17
troy_mclure

back in the cold war era the ruski pesants would reload .22rf rounds as they were verry hard to replace.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old June 13, 2010, 02:20 PM   #18
briandg

Probably ten years ago, I found empty primed 17 rimfire cases at a gunshow. They were intended to be loaded with powder and bullets. I was totally shocked to see them.

The match head and black powder process seems totally insane. I would attempt to do this sort of thing only if I was driven completely back into the stone age, and the choice was reloading rimfire with matches, or throwing rocks.

What bothers me about the internet is that things like this are printed, and people take it on face value as good information.

I'm surprised that I've never read a post saying that a dab of super glue inside a case neck helps to water proof a cartridge and keep the bullets from falling out.
Old June 14, 2010, 01:32 AM   #19
troy_mclure

there was a thread on castboolits about reloading primers, a guy did a pictorial using the paper cap gun caps.

i immagine that these would work as well.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 12, 2011, 04:45 PM   #20
drewnickel

priming

yes the blackpowder method is stupid to try, I burned the hair off my armm the last time I tried it, now I use cap gun caps to reload them, I scrape out the powder from the caps very gently from 8 caps, and then gently pack it into the bottom, then I pour in about 8gr of powder and force a 28gr pellet in, and then I use one of those ring things that squeezes around it as a crimper and push the brass into the side of the pellet (as it has a gas check like groove pattern in it, which makes it easy to load) anyway reloading rimfire is perfectly safe to do, if you do it slowly and dont try to rush things. here is me and one of my reloaded shells, just without the powder. only the primer and a .177cal pellet so that it's very weak, I use this load for mice and rats around my house as I cant use full powered loads in a neighborhood, my load has about 8 foot pounds of energy and fires at nearly 500fps. best of all is it's absolutely silent in a rifle. my pest rounds are loaded with 16 caps to make up for the lack of gunpowder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lFIg81U2E0 , I'll have another video up soon of the process of loading a full powered round and a test at my shooting field a few miles from home (about 20 acres of field that my friend owns)
Old January 12, 2011, 04:46 PM   #21
drewnickel

priming

also, sorry for my horrible voice, I have vocal chord polyps and have been losing my voice the past few months
Old January 12, 2011, 04:54 PM   #22
TXJohn

I have read about reloading rimfire but think I would have to see to believe.
Old January 12, 2011, 05:08 PM   #23
Sid

There are detailed instructions with illustrations for reusing primers in TM-31-210, Improvised Munitions Handbook, page 110. I suppose this would work since the procedures were developed by chemists at the old Frankford Arsenal in Philadelphia. As for myself, I would never try anything like this but I do find it interesting to read about it.
Old January 12, 2011, 05:15 PM   #24
Sid

Here is something I forgot to mention in my last post. I used to own a complete set of The American Rifleman which covered all the years of World War II. As you might imagine there were all sorts of ammunition shortages on the home front during this time. One of the wartime issues of the magazine did contain a complete article on how to reload rimfire cartridges. At the time I read it I was intrigued by the possibility of reloading spent cases for my Civil War Spencer carbine. However, the whole thing seemed a little too dangerous so I never tried it.
Old January 13, 2011, 01:16 AM   #25
Ideal Tool

I did reload .22 L.R. cases when I was a kid, 40 some years ago...for you guys that just have to try...just be sure to clean out that bore & action with a good B.P. solvent..that priming is corrosive!