The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 29, 2020, 05:33 PM   #1
Auto5

Barrel Work

I finally found a Browning Magnum 12 Auto 5 to match the Magnum 20 I received as my first shotgun many years ago. The 12 has a 30 inch full choke vent rib barrel, while my 20 has a 28 inch modified. The only problem is that the last 2 inches of the barrel on the 12 is dinged and scratched. I suspect that a previous owner had one of those gun lockers with a built in metal shelf that long gun barrels are supposed fit behind. Probably banged it on the shelf a few times putting it in and out.

I can refinish the barrel, or, since I like the feel of the 28, I was thinking of having the end cut down to 28 and installing a choke tube system. The perfect solution would be to find another used barrel, but no luck so far.

To finally get to the point, I'm looking for someone to cut down the end of the barrel and install choke tubes. Any recommendations?
Old March 1, 2020, 05:11 PM   #2
Virginian

The only two I will personally vouch for are Briley's and Mike Orlen. Other's may be good, but I know they are. You have a vent rib, so the cut will have to be at a rib post, may not yield exactly 28".

I do not trust Remington's dating service accuracy. If they were Match.com, you could end up with Nancy Pelosi.
Old March 1, 2020, 07:10 PM   #3
mulespurs

Maybe?

I would look for another barrel with choke tubes already installed. They were a factory option. I had one years ago so I could shoot steel shot.
Old March 2, 2020, 02:33 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

It's the vent rib that will cause grief. Some are not connected over the full length. And some are not metal.
Like Virginian says, any cut needs to be at a 'post'. And depending on where it's cut, the choke will be gone or seriously shortened. Kind of suspect most shotgun guys will just deal with that though.
"...dinged and scratched..." If "dinged" means dented, a good shotgun smithy can fix it. It may still be less expensive to buy another changeable choke tube barrel though.
Old March 2, 2020, 07:33 PM   #5
Virginian

I have had choke tubes retrofitted to several barrels; some shortened at the same time, some not. Results have been excellent from the two mentioned. If Mike has the tooling he is cheaper than a new barrel, and cheaper and faster than Briley's, but Briley can do anything.

I do not trust Remington's dating service accuracy. If they were Match.com, you could end up with Nancy Pelosi.
Old March 3, 2020, 09:31 PM   #6
Auto5

The price of a Browning 3" chamber barrel is almost as much as many mid range shotguns. Brileys is the name that seems to come up often among others I've asked.