The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 20, 2012, 11:59 PM   #1
HiBC

Plenty of Prior Planning Prevents a Painfully ...

Poor Performance! :-)

That would be Mine!

This is NOT the official CMP Garand ,Springfield,Vintage Military Rifle CMP clinic kraigwy post;Mods,please,leave room for that post if/when it comes.Close/delete this one if it gets in the way.

No,this is a comedy.

How not to do it.

I was in the process of building a 1903A3 when I saw this match announcement.I decided to go.The stock showed up Thursday night.I got it inletted about midnight.Loaded dummy rounds in the morning,got extraction,feed,etc worked out.Finished loading ammo,jumped in the truck and went.

I had never slung up prone with a 1903A3 before I got to Newcastle.

Now,there have been a lot of Springfields,and millions of GI's have learned to shoot them well,of all sizes.

Its not the gun.

I'm the problem!!

I have long hair and a big,bushy Santa beard.Just not compatible with shooting a bolt gun in a slung prone position.A 1903A3 will cycle full of beard hair.

I also need to do some stretching to get enough range of motion,that may help..but,I'm 6'3",about 285 and the stock seemed a bit short...Oh,that old thumb thing,smacking that nerve rich place under the cheekbone,above the moustache?Sweet!

OK,I left pretty humble..but,doggone

Newcastle is in a cool place,right near the Black Hills.They have a nice club and ranges.

Kraig Stuart is a fine host and a gentleman.He bent over backwards to help me.He knows his stuff,and he will teach you.

The other folks there were pleasant,helpful...and I believe they all outshot me!Good bunch.

Garands,P-17's,Springfields,even a fine Krag.

It was a good time,worth doing,for sure.

My thanks to kraigwy and the Newcastle club.

Last edited by HiBC; August 21, 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old August 21, 2012, 11:43 AM   #2
kraigwy

HiBC,

First off I'm glad you enjoyed the Clinic/Match, I just hope you learned something.

Second: You weren't the low score, I just checked again.

What everyone needs to understand, my clinics, CMP, High Power, Sniper, or any other venue I teach will not make you a good shooter.

What I hope to accomplish is give you the tools, referred to as Fundamentals of Marksmanship, that you can take home and practice, that practice, (Prefect Practice), that is what makes one a shooter.

One needs to take these fundamentals and build on them through practice and hard work.

I want to thank you for taking the time to drive up from FT CO to our Clinic/Match.

One thing I failed to do, and will do in my future classes is having the students fill out a critique sheet, offering suggestions where I can make my clinics better.

You can help a lot if you would let me know what I might have left out, or what I could have added to help other students in the future.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 21, 2012, 03:03 PM   #3
HiBC

One reality that I believe you were trying to accomodate:A number of the shooters had schedule issues,they only had so much time.

For them to be able to participate that day,the pace of the clinic was pretty quick.

No complaint,that made it work for everybody.

My take :I mostly hit it with PPPPPPP,You aren't going to have a barber shop at the range,and it takes longer than 1/2 day for stretching and conditioning.

I am not finding any "I could have done better if kraigwy would have done this".
You are only one man,you cannot Range Officer and be a one on one coach for each shooter on the line.

I do believe I left with an idea of a number of my shortcomings.I can improve a lot for next time.Then,I will find a few more things.

I intend to work on getting a Garand coming,if my pennies count up right.

I will also point out your clinic was safe,smooth,and organized,with plenty of "Are there any questions?"

Thanks again.