The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 14, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Kimio

CZ75 compact, so damn hard to find one!

I can't seem to find one new or used anywhere. Gunbroker seems to only have the P-01' for sale, and all my LGS' don't carry them sadly.

Buds Gunshop also doesn't seem to carry them. Not sure if this is because of the post election hysteria or they're just that popular.

Anyone have some suggestions on where else I may be able to look for one of these?
Old November 14, 2012, 01:30 PM   #2
mrshanes

Try one of these:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...478&catid=1732
Old November 14, 2012, 02:02 PM   #3
loose_holster_dan

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=316912355
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 14, 2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Kimio

Forgive my ignorance, what exactly is the difference between the Tristar C-100 and the CZ75 Compact?

Is this a clone or something? Essentially a copy without "CZ" stamped on the side of it?

How does it compare to the actual pistol from CZ?
Old November 14, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, what exactly is the difference between the Tristar C-100 and the CZ75 Compact?... Is this a clone or something?
Basically yes, AFAIK it is largely a clone, although IIRC there are a few minor differences. It's close enough that it supposedly takes CZ 75 Compact mags. According to what I've read online, the C-100 is more directly copied from the EAA Witness / Tanfoglio line than from the CZ.

FWIW Tristar is an importer. The pistol is made by Canik 55 in Turkey; the number 55 is part of the company name, NOT a model number, so the full name of the gun is the Canik 55 C-100. This pistol has bounced around between several different importers in the last few years, but AFAIK the pistol itself is the same.

Last edited by carguychris; November 14, 2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Old November 14, 2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Kimio

It's certainly an attractive alternative, it's essentially the same thing without the brand name. I don't plan on selling my firearms once I purchase them so resale value I don't think would be a real concern.

I'll have to look into these. Thank you.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:59 PM   #7
RadioFlyer8

budsgunshop

I think they have one in there. If not, try calling your local store and see if they can't order one in for you.
Old November 14, 2012, 05:25 PM   #8
armoredman

Is Canik 55 an offshoot of Sarsilmaz? That would make it a clone of a clone of a clone...the Sarsilmaz Kliniq is a clone of the Tanfolgio Force, (EAA Witness), which is a clone of the CZ 75.

Or yuo could get the original. I carried a Witness for years, then found the original and never looked back. Nothing wrong with the Witness, good solid gun, can't say anything about the Sarsilmaz, AKA Armalite AR-24.
I know absolutely nothing about TriStar - don't they make movies?
Old November 14, 2012, 10:58 PM   #9
gator1gear

I have the Tristar C100. My CZ75 magazines will interchange with the C100, the gun is an absolute dream to shoot, and has been 100% reliable through 1000 rds now. Check out the reviews on http://www.czfirearms.us/
Old November 15, 2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

The early Tanfoglios were CLONES of the CZ, but over the years they've changed a lot of details, so there's not much interchangeability -- so they're no longer clones. (Clones, as I've always understood the term, meant very close copies, with interchangeability -- like the early FEG copies of the BHP, and some of the early 1911s not built by Colt.)

The various guns coming out of Turkey seem to have originally been based on later Tanfoglio guns, but with differences. None of them are clones, but there is a general adherence to the original CZ design. Some of these guns are getting good reviews form those who own or shoot them.

My only concern would be availability of parts and service.
Old November 15, 2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Valerko

Not new and not mine
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/fir...5-shipped.html
Old November 16, 2012, 12:39 AM   #12
armoredman

Sarsilmaz was a Tanfolgio distributor for some time, so they had the guns to copy right there.
I haven't heard any bad things about any of them - Turkey has been making fine firearms for centuries.
Old November 16, 2012, 09:56 AM   #13
carguychris

Quote:
The early Tanfoglios were CLONES of the CZ, but over the years they've changed a lot of details, so there's not much interchangeability -- so they're no longer clones.
I've been trying without success to come up with a firearms term that means "somewhat of a clone but with some significant albeit not substantial changes". "Replica" implies a non-functional model. "Emulation" is hard to understand. "Copy" maybe?

Maybe it's best to say that the EAA Witness / Tanfoglio line and the Canik 55 C-100 are designed in the CZ 75 pattern.
Old November 17, 2012, 02:04 PM   #14
LarryFlew

Have had the Canik C100 for about a year. Basically it is a CZ compact with alloy frame. So, kind of a combination of a PCR (which I sold due to it being my only decocker model of CZ) and the Compact which is steel frame with safety. CZ mags work in the Canik, but not the other way around. Notch in mag is slightly too low. Could probably be filed down a hair to work but for me was not worth trying it.

Seems to get along fine with mi rack of CZ's BTW
Old November 17, 2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Walt Sherrill

"CZ Pattern gun" might be a good start.

That seems to be how many of the 1911s now being sold, including some of the double-stack models are described: "1911 Pattern" guns. They have the same general mechanism, design, and functionality as the original Colt-made 1911, but many of them aren't really clones any more.