The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2012, 02:32 AM   #1
JGulley317

OWB Holsters?

So after deciding on the IWB holster I want. I need to find a OWB holster. I don't know how much I will carry OWB and/or OC. I plan to CC most of the time, personal choice. Though I'd like to OC from time to time. Preferably when I know I won't be in public. For ex. to a friend's house. I also hope to OC with others at a OC meet. I also might carry OWB in the winter when I have a coat or jacket on.

I was looking for recommendations on OWB holsters?

For those who mostly CC. Do you CC at the range, since you'd have to draw from that position in a SD situation or do you OC? CCer's only please...

Thanks as always, Gulley
Old March 1, 2012, 10:03 AM   #2
PawPaw

That's a whole 'nuther can of worms, choosing an OWB holster and your body style, carry preferences and weapons type will determine what best suits your needs.

For woods carrying, I'm apt to be found with an Uncle Mike's Sidekick belt and a Sidekick holster that I wear over my trousers belt in the style of the cowboys. Yes, it's easy to conceal under a hunting jacket, even while carrying my 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk.

For plainclothes work, I'm probably going to be found carrying an old Don Hume holster for my J-frame. It's very easy to conceal under a sport coat when I have to wear such a thing.

For OWB work, I recently came into possession of a holster from Louisville Leather, a small custom shop in Kentucky. I reviewed it at my blog and sent the maker some critique of his product. It's a very nice holster and the leatherwork is done with good craftsmanship and taste.

The bottom line, though, is that you can spend hundreds on a good holster, or you can spend less than $10.00 at at the box stores. If you're anything like most of us, in 10 years you'll have a box full of holsters that you thought you might like, but are later found wanting, either through changing tastes or lessons learned.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 5, 2012, 01:13 AM   #3
JGulley317

Thanks for everyone's help! I decided to go with a Glock Sport/Combat holster. I hear good things about it and for $15 you can't go wrong. This will give me a idea of what I'll look for when it comes to an OWB holster or I might just love it and not look at all. But I was recommended some good leather holsters so I might have to try those out (I love leather). But just like anything, it's all trail and error. I'm sure I'll have a bag full of holsters just to know what I like.

Thanks again for the help and recommendations, Gulley