The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2018, 04:00 PM   #1
Schlitz 45

First Batch

Decided to give reloading a try. I've started shooting a 45Colt revolver and prefer jacketed bullets that run anywhere from $32 to $40 for a box a fifty around here. So the cost, easy size cases to work with, along with the fact that I'm pushing the empties right into my hand made it seem like the logical thing to do. just starting out with the bare necessities as my space is somewhat limited. A Lee hand press & dies, inexpensive but accurate scale, a pound of powder, some primers & I'm in business. It was fun rolling my own & I didn't find it tedious at all-as long as I keep to a hundred or so at a time this will work well for me.

Last edited by Schlitz 45; March 18, 2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old March 17, 2018, 04:25 PM   #2
RC20

Congratulations, welcome to the club.

Straight case pistol is a good one to start with.

I got going with one of the "You Pound It" Lee kits (which didn't work that well) - nothing against Lee, just not a great setup. I have their dies in 41 magnum and 44 special.

Hand press looks like it would have been better way to go. Not sure if they didn't have them or I just didn't know about them, long time ago.

I loaded a lot of 44 and 41 magnum on a single state RCBS Junior in a tiny closet that was my reloading bench in a 10 foot camping trailer. Several thousand rounds out of that setup.
Old March 17, 2018, 09:33 PM   #3
Venti30

Congratulations on batch #1!
Old March 17, 2018, 11:22 PM   #4
BigJimP

Congratulations....and welcome to this side of the hobby !
Old March 18, 2018, 05:46 AM   #5
NWPilgrim

Fantastic way to start! Starting small for exactly what you need leads to faster learning I believe. If you add more gear you will know from experience exactly why you want/need that item and what you expect to gain from it.

And I agree that straightwall handgun cartridge is the easy way to start reloading. Not as much case prep needed and very simple. Bottleneck rifle cartridges get into trimming, lubing and such.

Have fun with those handloads! And if you don't have a hardcopy manual I would recommend it to learn more about the process and tools and some of the "whys".You are off to a good start.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 18, 2018, 08:36 AM   #6
std7mag

Good for you, and welcome to reloading!

I started off with one of the Lee puond it sets for 7mm Rem Mag. Still have it.
Wife told me she was tired of hearing me hammer all the time. So now i have the Lee 4hole turret press.

One thing though..

You do know that the Berry's are actually plated, not jacketed.
Some will argue same same.
I always wondered that if they are the same why are there different loads between them.
Old March 18, 2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Martys

I see a "Progressive Press" in your future when more room is available.
Old March 18, 2018, 10:47 AM   #8
disseminator

Nice job on your first batch!

I love the 45 Colt, maybe my all time favorite cartridge. It's so versatile, it can be loaded from mouse farts to the king of the jungle, (in the right gun) and everything in between.

Don't be afraid to try some lead bullets as the Colt was literally made for them and does very well with them. I like the newer coated lead bullets myself which remove direct exposure to lead that concerns some folks and also means you don't have worry about bullet lube falling off during shipping and such.

Have fun.
Old March 26, 2018, 01:00 PM   #9
jamaica

Nice going. Reloading can become addictive.
Old March 26, 2018, 01:09 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Reloading can become addictive.
Heh. Yeah.

Maybe just a little .
Old March 26, 2018, 01:15 PM   #11
hounddawg

welcome to a great hobby
Old March 26, 2018, 03:13 PM   #12
Rifletom

You are starting out the right way. Those loads look good. Congrats. You're gonna love this handloading stuff.
Old March 26, 2018, 07:51 PM   #13
Rangerrich99

They look pretty good, nice job.
Old March 26, 2018, 08:42 PM   #14
NWPilgrim

Manufacturing, physics, chemistry, cheaper&better, and BOOMs (at the range of course)! What's not to like?

I really like Berry's plated bullets, too. I shoot a lot of cast lead, very few jacketed, but also a LOT of Berry's in different calibers. They are very consistent quality and they seem thicker plated than Rainier (or maybe I am less ham handed than years gone by). Now they even sell jacketed 55 gr .224" bullets.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison